Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭itsallabit

Combination of all of this. Generally seems to shortage across all grades. People are realising the private sector pays better.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭divillybit

That's interesting... I'm taking up an EO role in the PRA shortly from 2020 EO competition..taking a pay cut from my private sector job but it'll better work life balance and much shorter commute so it should be worth the switch to the civil service

• Registered Users Posts: 20,360 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Covid prompted a lot of retirements at grades EO and above

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kurokishi

Does anyone know what the pass/fail rate is like for EO interviews? I remember before I was a CO coming here and the general consensus was no one fails the CO interview. Obviously the EO interview has more to it and I'm concerned about my lack of management experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Its about the competencies rather than management experience (unless that is specified on the application) . If you can demonstrate strongly you have the competencies required for the job. Some have it as actual management experience, others have it as working well within a team, taking responsibility for a task without input blah blah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

If you can't pass the EO Then you may forget about it

Thats a silly comment in fairness. Plenty will not succeed this time, and they'll try again, and will succeed in future based on what they learnt from their initial failure.

Don't be so negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Govannan

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kurokishi

Well yeah that's why I asked for advice on it you donkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Iggy1986

Honestly, don’t worry. You don’t need managerial experience, you may not even be over any COs. They won’t question you on that, just know your competencies and have decent examples. I passed it in 2018 with no preparation, the board are reasonable and want to help you pass. I don’t know the exact figure but from following these pages over the years I feel the pass rate is quite high. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭08122019

Ignore it, some people get a promotion and quickly look down on those trying to do the same.

Don’t know what the pass/fail rate is but don’t worry about not having managerial experience. You’re not expected to have it if you’re currently a CO, but they do want to see that you’re ready to step up to that level, so show them that you know what’s involved and if you’ve a good EO/HEO In you’re current role you’ll have picked up bits and pieces from them do don’t be afraid to demonstrate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭claregal1

Hi one of my friends failed the internal EO by a few marks on decision making . So maybe look at the comp on the info booklet and your application and two examples of each one .

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭furrybones

Like the previous posters said, know the EO competencies and have examples for each. The examples don't need to be from managerial experience or even work experience - they can be from other areas such as study (delivery of results), clubs you're involved with (team work/leadership/conflict), etc. Keep your answers to the point. Know the civil service values - honesty, impartiality and integrity - and get these in where ever you can.

Is there an EO or HEO in your workplace that you can talk to for advice and interview help?

The interview board are typically really nice and they want you to pass, however they WILL interrupt you and ask questions within questions. It's a fast paced interview with just minutes for each competency, but it flies by once you start talking.

A large number of applicants have no managerial experience when they apply to these competitions, so you're in good company.

Best of luck with it.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kerrywan

Has anyone heard that the 2022 EO will go straight to interview without doing an etray? Not sure if true or not, would make sense if they have no staff though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭Guffy

Pas verified same for colleague of mine via email.

Sickened i messed up situational now, they're crying out for staff this round by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭redmarie

if you accept an EO position and it doesnt work out for you ( for example work is too tough, or hours dont suit your family needs) Can you go back to your CO position in your current department/organisation?

Im afraid of change as my current CO hours and days suit my familys need. But im also afraid i may never make it through an EO competition again.

(Ive passed interview from 2020 comp)

I thought it sounded weird... thanks for thr confirmation. Pity you didn't get situational... Next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Danielle101

Yes you can revert back to a CO, pretty sure you have until your probation is up to do this.

Thanks for that, im very on the fence on what to do as my kids are young and my current CO job is very flexible to attend to them if i need leave, days off etc.. im afraid an EO Role would result in a heavy work load , not as flexible hours and not having enough time with my family. Its a big dilemma for me as i dont know would i ever make it as far as EO interview again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,360 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Go for it and give it a go. If it turns out you don't like your role, I believe you can revert* back to CO within 6 months to a year.

*Can be done on internal comps anyway, would presume the same on external comps ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Molly2016

I’m in the same boat as you, have flexible hours, wfh etc with CO. We might be lucky, u should def go for it and you can always see once offered a position if it will suit. Best of luck with it

It seems though you have to go through a clearance process before finding out what the new role and department and exact section is. So my current EO would be contacted by PAS . I havent told anyone in my office about possible move to EO and my current EO is a bit of a loud person who likes to gossip. I dont want to rock the boat in my current dept with the clearance check if it turns out i end up turning down the EO role any way. Its hard to know what to do, like it could be a simple matter that the commute is too far/doesnt suit my childcare route/commute. My head is melted with it. Maybe i should let it go and decide this isnt my time as my kids are very young and are used to me being able to take time off to care for them and spend holiday times/midterms with them. My oldest is only 5 and will be starting school in 3 weeks so a big transition for them.

Are you in Dublin area? I hope they do the same with rest of country

Honestly, I would go for it. You can revert back if you find it's too much. I don't know your Department but from personal experience progression and promotion are actively encouraged and supported. I know of someone who reverted back to CO as her EO role was in another county, and there were no issues about it at all. Don't let a loud mouth EO hold you back. Best of luck with whatever decision you make.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

@redmarie - forgot to add. Your current EO won't be contacted. PAS contact the HR section of your Department, not your EO/HEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kerrylad91

Has anyone received an email for an interview for any county other then Dublin? For the open 2022 competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 drippininheat

I'm in low 70s for Donegal and no word of interview yet 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭milkandsugar

My best guess is most of us outside Dublin have a long enough wait in front of us before/if we hear anything.

• Advertisement

Thank you furrybones. Would you be able message me or let me know here, How exactly do you revert back ?whats involved do you know and did she get her exact section back? And what exactly is asked on clearance form ? Havent received it. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

Advertisement