Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kylemore or Evanwood estate in Castletroy

• 12-05-2022 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭

two neighbouring estates , any opinions as to which might be the more desirable , Been led to believe that while Evanwood is perfectly nice , Kylemore has the edge ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭limerickabroad

Yes, I would agree that Kylemore has (very slightly) the edge over Evanwood. Both are great (I live in Evanwood), with a lovely mix of young professionals and families, and have good residents' associations. Both are virtually 100% owner-occupied, with very few renters . . . I'd say Kylemore slightly has the edge for the following reasons;

Brick-built houses in Kylemore rather than timber-frame in Evanwood

Kylemore is slightly older, and slightly more 'settled'

Kylemore is a little further away from the motorway/Golf Links Road (traffic noise can be an issue in Evanwood)

Kylemore is a small bit closer to Monaleen school, Castletroy College, SuperValu, etc.

All that being said, I love Evanwood, personally - and I'd guess Kylemore houses would be about 10% more expensive? Both are great options, really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Hi , Thanks for the detailed reply , something surprised me in the past week , I viewed a house in both Evanwood and Kylemore and I actually preferred the green spaces in Evanwood , the house did appeared older , the house had passive ventilation - holes in the wall , Now i think those are as good as any but they are not really very up to date so perhaps this house was built pre crash despite being listed as built in 2015?

the house i viewed in Kylemore was actually even more of a victim of M7 noise though from looking at Google maps , I think both estates have their fair share of houses backed up against the motorway , another thing about the house in Kylemore , the back garden was absolutely sopping wet , half of it was borderline swampy , as if either a natural spring was underneath or some water was seaping in from the motorway side , the neighbouring garden looked the very same , grass was moorish in appearance , unusual for the month of May , like ground absolutely flooded by torrential rain which their had not been the day I was down , weather has been dry for quite a while this spring

Passive ventilation is still OK for an A3 rating, my own house completed in 2020 has it.

Also, just because something is block vs timber frame doesn't make it better. You can't have pyrite in a timber frame house for example!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

agreed, I like timber frame , my mothers house is a 1999 build and timber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Both estates nice but it all depends on your neighbours. Mine make a racket most mornings before 6am for example. Road noise would be less than this.

• Advertisement

Evenwood looks alot nicer, it has a nice park for kids to play,

Its more open, than are plenty of off street parking spaces unlike kylemore where everyone is up on top of each other, very little off street parking, people parking cars on top of footpaths etc.

Starting to see more and more houses sold in kylemore as prices have gone up from 269k in 2017 to 380+ in 2022.

Again its all down to the neighbour's.

You can't buy that so get it right. Call in the the neighbour's ask em whats the area like, ask em is it quiet at night.

Also there is a class people in both estates that are complete and utter tossers stuck up there own holes thinking that they are some sort of superior being, snotting nose ****.

Sense of community is a big thing, i think evenwood is better for that.

Evenwood gets my vote.

Kylemore houses are not worth the money.

Advertisement