Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Epididymal Cyst - Benign Lump on the Testicle

• 13-05-2022 1:18pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads, just wanted to share my story of having an epididymal cyst.

A couple of months before last Christmas, checking down there as I have for years, I noticed a lump. 🙁🥺

Obviously I was pretty worried and that worry grew over the following months as checking again showed the lump was definitely there. My partner urged me to get it looked at by a doctor but I kept putting it off, due to anxiety.

It is located at the end of my left testicle, and there was a dull mild pain at times. The obvious worry was testicular cancer, but as I'm a healthy 47 year old guy who is not in the prime age group for testicular cancer (18-35) and reading up online about the lump - it seemed to be pointing in the direction of Spermatocele, or epididymal cyst, a completely benign lump that is not uncommon for men of any age to have.

Went to the doctor at the end of March and was bricking it a bit TBH, but his examination confirmed it was an epididymal cyst which a subsequent ultrasound scan also confirmed. That was last month.

To say I was relieved is an understatement. But I am glad that I now know what it is. Causes a little bit of dull pain now and then but otherwise no issues. There are no known risk factors for developing one.

Any other men on here have a similar experience? I hadn't even been aware of such a thing as a benign lump on your balls and always presumed a lump probably meant cancer.

Also very important to check your balls regularly lads! 👍👍

Here is more info on epididymal cysts:

Post edited by JupiterKid on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Great post JK, and one that is important IMO. There is quite a large number of men who suffer from epididymitis, cysts, varicoceles and hydroceles.

These can all feel significant when found and all can cause pain and other symptoms. All can be quite terrifying when found too, the sense of dread that accompanies finding a lump is overwhelming.

I have an issue with a thrombosed varicocele in my groin on one of the larger veins draining the renal vein. It's wrapped around the spermatic cord and it acts like an airbag. Being upright, even for only 20 mins or so. Causes significant pain and the reduced outflow on the renal vein itself backs up bloodflow from my left kidney leading to what's known as "renal colic". A mild name for what is actually eye wateringly bad pain. A kidney stone level of pain, without the stone 😧

I've seen 3 urologists at this point including travelling to Belfast to see 1 particular guy. The diagnosis and scans all confirm the same diagnosis. The usual treatment is anti-inflammatories, or in less venous or neurologically involved nexus, surgery.

Unfortunately Diabetes rules out NSAIDs and the Nexus of my issues isn't amenable to surgery. So I'm stuck with pain management and life style restrictions.

What stood out for me when speaking to Urologists and their registrar's is the amount of men who suffer from chronic orchalgia. From 3% to 5% of all their consults are for the issue. Often epididymitis is at the root of the issue and can be cleared up with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory treatments.

There is a significant number of men who suffer from ongoing chronic pain issues that are treatment resistant. It is something that I wasn't at all aware of until it impacted me.

Really glad your cyst was benign and that treatment went well.

Fully agree with the check your balls message too. Get to know them, know when they change and if something doesn't feel right?! Get it checked!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

I've had a 3mm epididymal cyst on my left testicle since about age 23. I'm 30 now.

I've had it scanned 3 times including initial diagnosis to keep an eye on it and due to feeling some other aches.

I think I might have an issue with the left cord and what feels like swollen veins also, but haven't had that formally examined or diagnosed.

I do feel occasional discomfort and aches. Having comfortable underwear helps as does sleeping in loose shorts to keep things cool.

I remember being worried initially and feeling embarrassed about the GP visit and having an ultrasound. My doctor said about 1 in 20 men will have an epididymal cyst, they're benign and don't develop into anything worse.

Getting the diagnosis early is always better than letting worry you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭teroknor83

Thanks for posting OP. I have had one on each side for years but worse on the left. I am in my late 30s now but had them diagnosed in my early twenties. I get the occasional bit of dull pain but nothing too bad really. The diagnosis was a relief for me once I knew nothing overly sinister was going on and the cysts were benign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

I have one, I had one removed when I was 17 as they weren't 100% sure about it. Then got another one a few years back. Im 33 now. I also have Epididymitis which flares up every so often and causes a lot of pain but nothing they can really do about it, its very hard to get rid of and on top of all that I have some varicose veins going into the testicles too so I get pains there quiet a lot and I get ultra sounds done every couple of years just to make sure because Im worried il miss something actually serious because of everything else going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭50HX

Same here had a cyst at start of the year, scan showed all was OK

Advise was to wear tighter fitting briefs and not boxers....less hang on your balls so reduced pain/discomfort.

Get a bad dart pain every few days but nothing in the last 2 months, doc said it should eventually subside

Bottom line is get any nagging pains like that checked

• Advertisement
Advertisement