Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radon in old house with new extension

Options
  • 13-05-2022 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I am renovating a stone cottage, floors dug out and about to put in stone and a subfloor this week with the intention ( later ) on radon barrier ( over subfloor ) 6" insulation, UFH and screed. I then have a new extension built on to the cottage which will be 2 x bedrooms and toilet with inside block on flat up to finished floor level and the outside block on its side down x 1 block.

I initially was not going to put in a radon barrier ( my reasoning being that the cottage does not have one and I question how it would protect as I obviously can't go under the stone walls )

My ground worker suggested putting in a radon barrier throughout as it will also work as the dpc and that makes sense.

We are not in a high radon area.

So wondering your thoughts on

A: putting radon OVER the subfloor

B: How protected we will be when under the walls in the cottage section of the house will not have the radon running under ( guess we will still have it as dpc regardless ! )

Many thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

kerrytigin

You can check if you require a Radon Barrier if you put in your Eircode in to this link:- (no space),

If you are on a light or dark yellow square on the Map, then you do not need to fit a Radon Barrier.

Your ground worker is incompetent to tell you to install a Radon Barrier if it is not needed. It is a waste of money.

Fit a 1200 gauge DPM, on sand blinding on well compacted hardcore.

Hardcore - T2 Permerable – 4-40mm gas permeable material of which a 200mm layer must be used where a radon sump is used (greater depth allowable if preferred to mixing gradings with T1 Struc)

Inform your ground worker that a Radon Barrier Membrane is not a DPC (Damp Proof Course) - it is a DPM (Damp Proof Membrane).

It is a requirement of the Building Regulations that you must install a Radon Sump and outlet no matter what colour square your house is in on the Radon Map.

Its a Building Regulation and the Regulations are for the Health Welfare and Safety of persons.

Hood Luck.

Advertisement