Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Year Sybject (BA) can teach?

• 13-05-2022 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi.

I studied Geography in 1st year of BA and wanted TC registration to teach it. After speaking to Teaching Council I now realize I cannot get it registered as a subject unless I took it for 3 years.

My colleagues insist I am permitted to teach it to JC. Does anyone know if this is the case? Do TC state that a subject taken in 1st Yr of a BA can be registered to teach to JC?

Reason I'm curious is that a job I'm considering needs some acknowledgement of Geography qualifications as well as my main teaching subject.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Your colleagues are thinking of the olden days before the TC was invented. Nowadays you're either qualified of you're not. If you have the 3 years of a BA done in a subject you can teach it to LC. And if you don't you can't get recognised to teach it at all. Now, on the ground things are v different and many in my school teach history to 1-3rd years and only did a year of it. But that's up to the school once you're working there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

you are not qualified to teach it, the old teach to junior cert thing is long gone, however you can actually teach any subject your principal wants whether you are qualified or not…this doesn’t happen too often luckily but there are some occasions when it still does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Yes as above poster says if your school management need you to teach a subject without full qualifications then its up to them. This is usually very rare but in some subjects that dont have practical element it can happen, even Ag Science even though it has practicle element , I teach the odd class there this year when teacher was out with covid. I have a level 6 Agriculture certificate so just one level up from leaving cert Ag Science but they seen it a better option for 5th years than a supervised study class which of course it was. Usually only happens for a week max. Seen Irish taught a whole year theough without qualifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I had first year in a subject. It qualifies you to teach nothing, but could contribute 10 ECTS to the 60ECTS credits you need to be qualified to teach that subject. I had to go back and do the degree qualification for 2nd and 3rd year before I could be registered to teach it. The name of the exit qualification for the BA is the "Higher Diploma in Arts". All the NUI colleges offer them. Here's the UCD one: https://www.ucd.ie/artshumanities/baartsjointhonours/higherdiplomahdip/

Everything is done by ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) now. So, you could do six 5-credit modules per year for two years (usually at night, but they'll almost all be on the day too under the name BA) and you have your 60 ECTS credits to be eligible to teach that subject after two years. You could also do all 60ECTS in a single year if you were doing nothing else. With my 1st year subject, I had 70ECTS so had 10 over the required 60 ECTS.

Just to be clear: the modules are the ordinary BA ones. While a full BA is worth 180s ECTS credits. To be registered to teach a subject with the Teaching Council, you need to have 60 ECTS in that subject [i.e. you could be qualified to teach three TC-approved subjects with the 180 ECTS credits, if you chose the modules correctly]

From the TC website: "The qualifying degree must carry at least 180 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) credits (or equivalent) with the specific study of [Maths, English, Irish,insert subject] comprising at least 60 ECTS credits (or equivalent)." [https://www.teachingcouncil.ie/en/news-events/latest-news/curricular-subject-requirements.pdf] 

Advertisement