Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monkeypox virus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The Indo and the journal both going with the same story this evening, that there have been two detected cases of monkeypox. Such nonsense and it is pathetic to try to give so much hype to this virus. COVID derangement syndrome perhaps where they need some new pandemic in their lives to fill the void?

It's clearly filling the void of COVID-19 updates. We are so nauseatingly familiar with "new cases" that Monkeypox viral disease neatly fits into that same box. Now I'm not for a second suggesting there should be no updates, because there should be - especially when it's relatively new and containable. But the mainstream media are engaging in overkill for the sake of comments and shares.

If there are to be any updates, they should mostly be voiced from the LGBT authorities - who bear some degree of responsibility over what transpires over the coming months with this disease. So far, I think they've said absolutely nothing to the community about the heightened risk over the coming months and the need to identify symptoms (which they could easily display in gay bars / events etc.) and to refrain from engaging in sexual activity should those symptoms emerge.

Pride is already underway and yet all we've been greeted to thus far is nothing short of deafening silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

" They " have always recommended these vaccinations if travelling to countries where you might pick them up...totally voluntary and just sensible precautions .

You are going on as if typhoid is something new . It would be very unusual to pick up typhoid travelling abroad if you had had your shots ..as recommended by " them " .

And wanting to know who it is is a bit strange unless you were a close contact , inwhichcase you will be informed .

Were you not against Covid vaccine certs and vaccinations or was that somebody with a similar handle?

So what's behind all this righteous indignation ?

I get you are worried about your child being kept from creche but by your own admission she seems to be ok.

There is a lot of strawmen floating around this thread .

Monkeypox is not Covid 19 and has been around and well researched a lot longer .

• Advertisement

Sorry but you have lost me there ... don't know what point youare making really . All your posts read as anti gay as far as I can see despite your claims to the contrary.

So I'm gay myself, but you are saying that my assessment that the LGBT community should be made more aware of the disease, and that LGBT authorities should do more to mitigate its spread through society is "anti-gay", correct?

No you know after all the posts tend fro that is not what I mean at all. I have told you repeatedly that I agree with promoting awareness .

It is your rhetoric towards the gay community in your zeal ...note that word...which usually only comes from homophobic posters . Surprising and a bit unreal hearing it coming from someone who keeps repeating that he/ she is gay.

Why do you have to keep repeating that ?

Probably because nobody would believe you otherwise, and would discount those posts as trying to stoke homophobic discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

"LGBT authorities"? 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Its now very clear you know very little at all about LGBT communities.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

False and misleading information.

Over the course of the past few years on this forum, I have readily disclosed my sexuality - and I'm quite proud to do so. Your minimisation of my sexuality, in fact - denying it to me because I happen to hold an opinion different to you, is what's really quite disturbing. What gives you that right? It seems that I can only be a "real Gay" if I hold the same opinions as you? Or if I articulate my arguments and positions in the language that you prefer? Please, stop that right now.

Well, no thanks. I don't need you nor anyone else to tell me how to voice my opinions.

Yes, every layer of society has authority voices.

This includes the leaders of LGBT groups in society; it includes the major venues that LGBT people routinely attend, such as bars; it includes authority figures who have developed a substantial following in the scene and throughout the country.

There are many authority voices within the community with influence, yet you are trying to minimise or pretend that such voices do not exist, nor have influence over how many LGBT people behave.

That itself is irresponsible and counter to the measures that are needed to combat the spread of Monkeypox viral disease within our community.

• Advertisement

Not minimising your sexuality , just your damaging rhetoric zeal about what is not " your " community, but the LGBT community .

No I don't agree with it whether you are gay , straight, bisexual or don't identify ,male or female .

Stigmatising language is just that , no matter who you are or how you identify , doesn't give you the right .

On that basis, then, in the case of HIV, you would presumably believe that there should be no public association made between this disease and the LGBT community, and the measures needed to mitigate viral spread?

That anyone making such an association must be in some way "homophobic"?

Would that be correct?

Otherwise, you may accuse those who do of being "stigmatising" and not part of "our / LGBT" community.

Most of your posts in this thread are literally dripping with homophobia in some way; judgement, bias, twisting the truth, sensationalism, stereotypes, stigma, fear mongering

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

So, rather than engage with my posts, you've yet again resorted to dismissal?

You are denying that LGBT authority voices exist in our society, yes?

Terry Pratchet

Do LGBT voices and authorities exist within our community? It's really not a difficult question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Christ, the state of this thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Back on topic everyone

@eskimohunt take your analysis of the LGBT community hierarchy to PM if you wish, any more off topic posting from you and you'll sit this one out

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yes "they" the HSE, rewind back to 2019 and they had no problem calling out Pakistan for half the cases found and urging vaccination if heading there, now "them" won't say where the risk is. I didn't deliberately use pronouns just assumed anyone reading knew who I was talking about, we are talking about an organisation that now doesn't use the word woman when talking about pregnancy if anyone needs a shake up about pronouns it's them.

I haven't change my mind on covid certs, I won't be calling for their introduction in these circumstances either and I definitely won't be calling for the shutting down of venues like some already are. Am I to assume your looking at Canada wondering why we can't be like that now?

I'm not worried about my daughter but I'm concerned public health can't give basic information to allow people make an informed decision. What is the issue in telling us which country the cases came from.

Just an update, nothing detected in the first test, public health have now said the second test is to check for a different strain. That doesn't make a lot of sense. These tests are happening in a mid west which is also warning about Typhoid, do you see why I might like a little more clarity on both situations. There's also a holiday to be booked.

Current data from the WHO, as of today, shows that there have been 909 cases with an additional 29 suspected cases.

Of these, at least 31 experienced severe disease that required hospitalization.

But 0 deaths have been reported of those 909 cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭therapist3

Well we should cut off all travel from Africa, the one thing we didn't do right before

Nice to see gay bars - at last - providing awareness of the symptoms for gay men to look out for.

Exactly what I've been requesting for several weeks now on this thread, but better late than never.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Reminds me of the flyers at the airport in the early day of covid. Look how that turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

drivingmissdaisy threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The Journal are publishing every day an article on Monkeypox, the last two days was the daily global case numbers. It's pathetic how they're trying to make it a thing but I wonder what the rationale is on their part and whether it is coming from the HSE or some health body in some way just to make people conscious this Pride month.

Think twice before eloping with someone who has scabs on their body is the only public health advice needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JuanBerrosa

If I miss a trip at the end of this month over this bullshit ... I will be .... agitated to say the least.

Media is now reporting it as "moderate" risk ... from last week "low" ... and from "extremely low" a few weeks before that ... almost like they are preparing us for something.

You will almost certainly not miss your trip.

This is a very controlled infection. In fact, if COVID never happened, I'd say almost nobody would be thinking about it.

We certainly wouldn't have had a thread on Current Affairs/IMHO about it.

It's a hangover effect from the COVID experience, and the media have jumped on this for clicks, comments, and shares.

Is it something that needs to be monitored and controlled? Yes.

Is it something that will cause COVID-style lockdowns etc.? Absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Apparently they created their own version of Monkey pox in the Wuhan Lab. That’s a mad coincidence.

There is genuine concerns if it becomes endemic and particularly if it passes into pets and animals.

• Advertisement

This has already been dealt with earlier in the thread.

Wuhan and other virology institutes work on hundreds of viruses at a given time. For Monkeypox, they created one-third of the genome, so that they could test against it. They didn't generate a whole genome because of the risks it poses. In fact, the video you've quoted goes into all the details of precisely this.

Advertisement