Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monkeypox virus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The video also says we have to take them at their word that they only created one third of the genome. Do you trust these bio labs and the motives behind the parties running them? I certainly don’t, as proven time and again in history, humans are driven by power and money and mistakes are made in this pursuit.

Its remarkable how precarious things really are when you consider how much trust we put in institutions to mess with virus’s when the general public has to rely on them just telling the truth. When you consider how much even state institutions will lie to protect their own self interest, the only thing surprising is that there haven’t been more mistakes spotted.

There is no evidence to suggest that Monkeypox was generated from and spread through the Wuhan Institute of Virology to the rest of the world.

There is every evidence under the proverbial sun that the wave of infections we're currently experiencing can be sourced to two major gay sex festivals in Madrid and Belgium (the Darklands festival, for example) - and it has spread from there, to now close contacts of mostly infected gay men.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

How can there be any evidence from Wuhan when no independent body is allowed to investigate?

Monkeypox has been around for decades and it just now manages to break out and spread more at pretty much the same time as COVID, that some think was a lab leak?

Perhaps it is just a massive coincidence but I don’t see irrefutable evidence. One issue is a credible source that reliable. Even during covid we saw how authorities will lie (like fauchi admitted) to suit the narrative they want to project.

Post edited by Drumpot on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Did I see that there is another 77 cases in UK today? Also, cases with no known contacts. Unidentified chains of transmission. The numbers must surely be an underestimate. Thankfully no known deaths yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Did you? Go back and check your source and you'll get your answer instead of sharing your anxiety here.

"Monkeypox", lol. No matter how much they try in the media etc, I think the appetite for this sort of stuff has been exhausted.

The truth is, if it wasn't for the media and people wearing masks, you wouldn't of known there was a pandemic over the last two years.

Just ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Why did you put monkeypox in quotes? do you think it doesn't exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

It was an emergency weeks ago and they sat on their hands. They might get things right with the next pandemic. Maybe.

• Advertisement

Now moved to 3pm.

There we go... Public health emergency declared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I always thought if covid affected kids badly, would our response be different... Enter monkeypox to find the answer to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Ahh here we go again. Ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭slay55

News talk today said 98% are male, gay or have sex with men

nothing to really worry about if you are not gay for the time being anyway, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Pretty much zero public awareness campaign in this country on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Monkey pox doesn't sound scary enough, a rebrand is in order if they ever want the fear mongering to get any traction.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Apparently they need a new name for monkeypox to avoid discrimination, the monkeys must be easily offended, next to be offended will be the chickens...😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

What would you love to see the government do about Monkeypox?

Post edited by Micky 32 on

99% of infections are in gay men (and MSM), according to the latest data.

A targeted campaign is needed toward the LGBT community far more than is required for the general population.

The general population have a considerably less likely risk of catching this infection, as it's not transmitted in the same airborne-kind of way that predominated with COVID disease.

HIV pandemic has been around for 40+ years now, and still hasn't gone away - despite the public education campaigns within the LGBT community. Monkeypox could very easily become that kind of endemic infection within the LGBT community and, as with HIV, it's possible that small breakouts can occur outside the community but nothing large and significant.

Certainly nothing worthy of a lockdown or anything of the sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Is there any info on why the virus is behaving differently? What has caused it to behave like an STI?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Small community that meets up in cramped venues, That also meets up in large groups for concerts, festivals alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

A lot of people will love the fear or something new to pent up their anxiety.

It's the latest thing now, funny how they are trying to change the name from monkey pox to something else .

And they're blaming the gays again, as if they hadn't a hard enough time during the 80's being treated like leppers. It was a very hard time for the gay community, and it wasn't fair.

Didn't they have a huge stock of monkey pox vaccines before this outbreak .

I wonder were they rotating the stock when they went past the sell by date .

It's amazing how they had a hunch that there was going to be an outbreak.

They must have spent billions on monkey pox vaccines due to them going out of date.

In order to be prepared for an outbreak, they're like soothsayers.

Probably close body contact and during the summer people's skin would be dryer, and there would be broken skin on broken skin.

I think it's usually spread by rodents, but obviously there's a break out from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

I agree about the fear mongering being an issue.

But who’s blaming gays? I think it’s just reporting the known facts so far.

Because of the way it spreads*, certain groups of people are more at risk, e.g. those who frequently have sex with anonymous partners. Some gay men fit into this category. Doesn’t really seem to be an issue for lesbians

I’d expect prostitutes and their clients could also be at risk, but haven’t seen any reporting on this.

So far, I can’t see what the danger here is for most people. Even those who get it will recover (no one has died from this outbreak yet).

*WHO: Monkeypox spreads from person to person through close contact with someone who has a monkeypox rash, including through face-to-face, skin-to-skin, mouth-to-mouth or mouth-to-skin contact, including sexual contact

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

They better not get the idea of introducing lockdowns and restrictions over this ... there will be civil unrest - or maybe not, maybe the population will just take it - AGAIN!

Sorry my apologies, they're not blaming the gays. But it could be painful for the people who lost loved one's during the AIDS crisis and cause people to feel like, oh no here we go again another outbreak of something it's in our community again.

My bad for saying that they are blaming someone.

It's not an STI, and just because the origin of the outbreak has been with MSM, does not mean it will stay within that demographic. I hope it doesn't get established within the general population. It seems to affect children more, in terms of severity, but there are a lot of unknowns. Five deaths so far among more than 16K cases.

Because of these things, I think it was the right call of Dr Tedros to call for a public health emergency. Now each country can take the necessary steps to prevent more transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

So what would you suggest the governments should do to prevent transmission?

• Advertisement

I'm not too sure, but I would think a information campaign sent to GPs and healthcare workers to be on the lookout for symptoms might be warranted. Not to assume a rash is just a rash, but to ask questions. I think it is now a notifiable disease, which means all reports are communicated to central government, and that's a good thing. These are good measures that can identify outbreaks and prevent transmission.

As regards the general population, I don't think there could be much advice given for now. The MSM community does need targeted information, until and if the infection moves out of that demographic, and it was good to see that I was asked about specific symptoms like rash the last time I visited my HIV clinic.

Just my thoughts. I'm no expert.

Advertisement