Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving large pots

Options
  • 16-05-2022 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Does anyone have a device for moving large pots?

I'm going to ruin my back moving the citrus trees out off the greenhouse etc,

I have a really good handtruck but the pots ae just too big & unstable on it, especially on uneven ground.

Seen this, looks good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6BykFaNCf8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

You can buy specific pot movers, I see them being used at plant nurseries. The other option is a hand truck with large baseplate and large wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I've seen the one in the youtube video in the UK. It would do what it says but I thought the construction was quite poor. I know where I am near the sea the lifting arms would rust in no time if I didn't give them special attention.

We keep a couple of bungee straps in the trucks to strap larger pots in place. Barrow also has a bungee strap kept wrapped around the handles an it comes in handy to hold large loads of in place and stops stuff falling off the top.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

Thanks,

Also the worx weight limit is only 40kg.pots are ceramic and would be easily 20kg without soil.

I like the idea of lifting them straight up with straps.

I think im going to make a set of lifting arms for my hand truck and see what happens.

The tilting back motion of a hand truck isn't ideal when its a tree.

especially when the pots are 7/800mm in diameter at the top and 4/500mm at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Baybay

The size of pots I move aren’t maybe as large as yours but are certainly heavy enough for me so I move them on an old skateboard.

I rather like this one available in the UK but not sure you'd get it here and I suspect it might be expensive.

https://www.fresh-group.com/plant-pot-trolley.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

I had seen those ones Albright but the one that looks ideal has been discontinued .

Skate board wheels to small but I like where your going. maybe a modified land board

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Aldi/Lidl often have a round or rectangular board on four wheels that I use for moving plant pots. Granted I am not moving them on gravel - mostly, and for short moves they are very strong and work well. I tip the pot, push the trolly under it as far as I can, then support the trolly with my foot and twist the pot onto it, then use the edge of the pot to push it. I can do all but the very big ceramic one on my own like this and I am an 'aul wan' with a bad back🙂!

I've always wanted to modify an old one of these jfc stable barrows https://www.stowag.com/jfc-stable-barrow-tipping-230l-blue-poly-top2-wheels-twb250-2206.html . Forget the plastic bit on top remove that and put a sheet of something on the base so that you can tip it forward prop the back and use it like the plant trolley.

Advertisement