Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10kWh LifePO4 DIY Battery Addition..... Here is my write up.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭DC999

Rephrasing :) Electricity costs me more than gas

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Feidhlim

Complete newbie here just starting to scratch the surface on this. I'm getting solar installed shortly, is there something I should request to make my life easier for a self install battery later on?

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

Hybrid inverter is essential. Go with an inverter that works with 48-51v battery as you will have more options on diy battery.

My views are my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭championc

Or you can install a separate Storage Inverter like the Sofar ME3000. It doesn't even need to be in the same place as a PV String Inverter

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah and hybrid inverters are hard to get. Something like a 6kW normal inverter is about €750 retail and a 6kW hybrid one over €2000 retail. That's a lot of extra money to pay up front to cover you in case you "might" upgrade to a battery in the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I prefer Storage Inverter, you can throw your PV inverter into the attic and forget about it then put your Storage Inverter in a more controllable environment for easier battery temp control. Also gives the benefit of additional output as the Storage Inverter output is additional to PV output for high electricity draws e.g. electric shower

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Another benefit of a storage inverter is that you can see what energy comes from your battery and goes in it, in general reporting / integrated systems like the very popular and excellent myenergi family of products. With a hybrid inverter, that system can't distinguish between energy coming from the PV panels attached to the hybrid inverter and energy coming from the battery

There are drawbacks as well. A separate storage inverter installed at a later date needs to be installed by an electrician and needs its own RCBO in your consumer unit. And all your PV (DC) energy will have to be converted to AC first by your normal inverter and then from AC to DC to go into your batteries. So you lose about 10-15% of all your PV output that goes into a battery compared to a hybrid inverter which only needs to step down the DC voltage to store the energy, which is more efficient. No inverting or rectifying steps that create losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Are we still at a stage where there is no storage inverter like the Sofar (and costs about that too) that can do continuous 100A?

I don't think so, apart from a Tesla powerwall. Which costs a little bit more than an ME3000SP 😁

I would seriously consider one if it could do 200A continuous and was reasonably priced. Dump the battery load into the car and hot water at the same time on a good day, yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Advertisement

The cheapest one is about €2500. If you are spending that sort of money, you might as well go for the daddy, the sunny boy. One of the regulars in here has one of them and posted about it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Ok been busy with work for a week.

Time to hook the battery up to Solis.

what order do I need to do this in?

setup solis settings, then connect positive and negative cables to solis.

Then negative cables to battery. Then positive to battery?

😎

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

BMS?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

BMS on negatives side of circuit.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭connesha

Could anyone with a Neey balancer please share their settings in the Neey app (Screenshot if possible)? Have it hooked up on a 16S2P Calb pack, with Seplos BMS. Thanks.

On a side note, connecting over bluetooth seems hit an miss. It would not connect to any iPhone (tried 3 of them), but eventually got it working on the kids Fire tablet. Once it connects to a device, it seems pretty reliable on that device.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Not from the app, but From HA, as its handy but

Sleep, is 3.45, start balancing at 3.47

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

I’ve found the iPhone app you can’t set 400Ah and yes the BT you seem to have to select it when it appears and the Chinese on screen tells you the Bluetooth service is starting then in English the same then it’s connected 🤔 then it loses the connection- but I still use it 🙄🤣😂🤣

I’m sure it’s mentioned but how do you get this in HA - I’ve yet to get around to looking at HA in any detail but know all my other bits work so this would be great

• Advertisement

Thank you Sir Is this for a jk-bms or Neey active balancer or both - is there a connection between the two

Its for both, theres a example file for the Neey (Or heltec)

Thanks @graememk

So all hooked up. Hopefully with all hardware in right spots.

I have set a battey on solis, using user defined option, plan b would be lead acid settings.

I have CAN Fail on the inverter screen. I think this might be normal with a JK BMS because Solis won't see it, or is there another issue?

I have a no battery alarm on inverter too?

😎

You need one of these to translate the rs485 from the jk to canbus

https://github.com/Uksa007/esphome-jk-bms-can

I understand I can manage without comms though? And let the BMS protect battery

😎

Current settings (charge during day to test only, will set to night in due course)

not sure what may be wrong?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 21,930 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You can, same as lead acid or agm. But you need to doubly check the BMS settings are correct

• Advertisement

Advertisement