Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Voucher for a friend

• 16-05-2022 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

Hi people. I have a colleague whose wife has been diagnosed with breast cancer. He is a very hard worker, a kind and respectful man who does a great job but does not like to socially mix with staff so getting his opinion would not be the best plan I think. She is undergoing a very difficult treatment regime. We are a small company and I am the manager. We would like to support them both but her in particular. I have taken some extra responsibilities from him work-wise for the next few months so that is covered. Are there any suggestions for a voucher/gift for her? Treatments that would be nice for her? There are only 7 of us apart from him so we are talking of a budget of 350-500 euro.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭sporina

how about a lovely big spa voucher? a big fruit basket and a fab bunch of flowers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I did think of a spa voucher. Wondered if people had comments on treatments in particular people find beneficial while having treatment.

@KathleenGrant I'd say just get her a lovely big voucher for a really good spa in her area.. that way she can choose her own treatments..

or better still - if there is a hotel in her area with a good spa.. you could see if you could get a voucher for the hotel - where she could use the spa, have dinner and or an over night stay.. but ask the hotel first if one can use a hotel voucher for the spa; in case the spa is owned independently to the hotel

if they are run separately, you could get her a spa voucher and a hotel voucher - that would be so lovely.. a proper pampering - and her hubby could avail of it too

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

Get a Blue Book hotel voucher. They have a good number of hotels and they can choose which one they want which might cater their needs and perhaps not be too far to travel if that's an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Fair play to you for being so considerate and thoughtful.

I have a similar situation in my place, the main thing for the person affected here is allowing unscheduled time off. Knowing they can ring me in the morning to take the day off is really helpful to them, his supervisor is aware of his situation and we've assured him that his job is as safe as can be.

• Advertisement

good idea but it has a v small number of hotels with Spa facilities... only 10...

Thank you for that suggestion about the hotel and spa and checking if they do both. I could have bought a voucher presuming that a hotel with a spa covered both. But you are right.

Never heard of Blue Book vouchers. Thank you for that suggestion. If it's not the best option for this situation, I like that idea for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Teacher2020

Do you have local chamber of commerce vouchers? I know my area has chamber of commerce vouchers that can be spent in a variety of retailers.

It's easy to be thoughtful about this person, he is so thoughtful himself. One week a month he takes the car keys from all of us and checks our oil and tyre pressure over his lunch break. I am his supervisor and I have already taken over his opening and closing duties to allow him bring his children to school and be home to make dinner. He is making his hours up at weekends and I trust him completely to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Sounds like a great chap, and a good working relationship too! Fair play to you all and all the best to them both. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,970 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Do you know that she's actually into spas? Not everyone is, it would be a complete waste of money as a gift to me, personally. Ditto flowers.

I think "practical but unsentimental" gifts are highly underrated in Ireland tbh. Sometimes a voucher for a house cleaning service or similar is the best gift you can give people who have bigger things to be worrying about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭Xander10

A friend's was dealing with a similar situation with his wife having treatment. They got the all clear now TG. Talking to him, he is so appreciative of the support from his employer. Lovely to hear you are doing similar.

I think any short break away would be a great gift, with or without a spa.

Very grateful for the reply because like you I am not into flowers. That's just me though. I see the women I work with swooning over flowers that are delivered. My favourite present lately was a gift to Jack and Jill foundation in my name.

Thank you for reply. It started out being a voucher for her because I thought my covering his shifts was me being supportive. But I think now it's just something a workplace should do so voucher for both is important. If I am covering extra work for him it's because he has extra responsibility at home so they both need time off together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

A voucher for somewhere like Eatto could be good. They do homemade meals, soups etc.

ETA- If appropriate, you could let your colleague know about this https://www.lookgoodfeelbetter.ie/ They run free skin care and make up workshops for people undergoing cancer treatment. They are absolutely fantastic and provide wonderful support. Mods, hope that link is okay to put in. Please delete if not 🙂

Post edited by jellybear on

i thought about the house cleaning service - personally I would love it.. but a lot of my mates would be offended.. like you wer implying that they don't have a clean house..

no prob.. I've a mate going thru cancer treatment.. she's v much an outdoors person - not a girlie girl.. but since learning of her affliction, she's been loving spa pampering treats.. half day spa breaks in hotels in Killarney etc..

That look good feel better looks great. What a nice idea. I have no idea if she would be interested or not but I will definitely mention it to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A voucher for delivery of fresh prepared meals is so handy when they have no time to cook .They can choose their meals on line and when they are delivered, they can have fresh or frozen and no pressure to use them up .I did this for a friend and it was really appreciated .

• Advertisement
Advertisement