Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ journalist found guilty of sexually assaulting woman as she slept

• 16-05-2022 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭

I'm probably going to be accused of being all sorts, but curious to know what others think....

Just read this article, which is currently the lead item on the Independent homepage:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/rte-journalist-found-guilty-of-sexually-assaulting-woman-as-she-slept-41655437.html

I don't know the guy from Adam, but I have to say I feel some sympathy for him.

Out drinking, meets lady, pub crawl with said lady, kissing at the end of the night, back to his place, sexual foreplay, she hints at sex the following morning, they share a bed together, etc. Absolutely no excuse for his incredibly blunt attempt to initiate in the middle of the night, but when she says no he backs off.

She claims she is traumatised by what happened. But I find it weird that, rather than report the incident immediately, she waited almost an entire year before going to the Gardai.

Anyway, this guy's career and life is ruined. Sentencing will happen next week.

Given the above contributing circumstances, can we really say this guy is a sexual deviant that needs to be locked up?

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

You have never heard the word ‘consent’?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

The moral of the story is don't touch people up when they are asleep.

Extremely creepy behaviour. (As well as criminal obviously.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Ardent

But this is the thing - there was consent for foreplay throughout the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,115 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Dude obviously wasn't famous. When you are famous you can grab them by wherever you want and they just let you.

Or so I've heard

Obviously your man was convicted so the jury found him guilty. People can't really condone it even though it seems a bit harsh to have had his life ruined over. We don't know the facts though and the jury did

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,115 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yes. And it was wrong what he did.

That she went back to sleep though it seems a bit weird if she was so upset. Unless she was a bit drunk or something or only started getting upset from it later. Which isn't impossible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What’s done for him is him trying to initiate with the girl asleep… never a clever move in any situation but especially with someone you just met on a drunken night out..ffs.. that’s creepy x 1000.

i guess it must have been txt messages that led to his arrest and conviction…

certainly some oddness on behalf of the plaintiff…. In your eyes a guy tries to ‘sexually assault’ you, but you still stay in the same bed ? for a number of hours ? Then waiting almost one year to report it ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

he gave his consent for her to go into his bed... she'd know he'd be there as well...it's not like she was in another bed in another room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Read to me like a bit of a misunderstanding that came to nothing. That's assuming it was, as reported. They're in bed by/ with consent. He feels a bit horny, she tells him to stop, he stops, they have a chat about it afterwards.

What then happens - he loses his job and ends up in court. Bit drastic.

How did this ever end up in the courts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

Christ this thread is depressing. Please read up on consent it has always existed but some ignored . No means no at any and all point and the onus is on everyone to check in to establish consent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,322 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Note to men...have 2 seperate sleeping bags in your bed if someone agrees to go back to your home of an evening of their own free will and sleep in the same bed as you when multiple other options were available.

She didn't consent - so he stopped.

For most sane people, that is reasonable and respectable behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Waste of court time. She went home with him, slept in his bed. He tried it on, she said no. Now she’s apparently traumatised for life, give me a break. This kind of case undermines real assaults.

Why does it make any difference whether she was asleep or awake when he initiated more foreplay. Clearly she woke up, told him to stop and he stopped. Should be end of story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭ahappychappy

Eh he started when she hadn't the capacity to consent i.e. was asleep. If you don't understand consent then please go get educated.

She was ASLEEP. She couldn’t give consent while asleep. Full stop. It doesn’t matter that he stopped when his actions woke her up and she asked him to stop.

He should not have started.

As per the article he accepts that himself. I don’t really understand how there can be any ambiguity here…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Cases like this make a mockery out of actual sexual abuse situations.

Grand, I'll leave you to your perfect wee world. Good luck with it.

• Advertisement

I’ll paste my response to the other lad who tried the same point:

”She was ASLEEP. She couldn’t give consent while asleep. Full stop. It doesn’t matter that he stopped when his actions woke her up and she asked him to stop.

He should not have started.

As per the article he accepts that himself. I don’t really understand how there can be any ambiguity here…”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,689 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Where are you getting that from?

They fooled around a bit, he tried to initiate penetrative sex, she said no, but maybe in the morning. How does that equal consent for foreplay throughout the night?

What they did together before she went to sleep is irrelevant, as is what she said might happen the next morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Id say there is alot of men sweating reading up on this case....thinking back on their past "conquests"....

Jesus......the stories you'd hear over the years.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Not excusing anything. But this line stuck out a little

She was unable to get public transport for a long time because the “touch from a stranger was unbearable”.

Surely if there was consensual foreplay, it was no longer a "touch from a stranger"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Sure don't be a tease...

The story seems mad, just based on what's in the story

Imagine 1 fuukin year later getting a knock on the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,471 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's waffle people like this insert into court cases to get more $$$

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭kaymin

She insisted on him being named as if he's a danger to society. Complete head banger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The woman then fell asleep and woke later to find Ó Leidhin on top her of her and groping her breasts. She said she told him to stop and get off her. He did stop and told her “sorry I'm horny”

So... climbing on her and groping her breasts was ok...?

And some people say we don't need consent as part of sex and relationships education...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Ardent

It seems they had a relationship of some sort after the event, but we don't know how that panned out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

If this sort of thing was wrong 20 years I would have been a virgin until after I got married!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement