Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ journalist found guilty of sexually assaulting woman as she slept

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,242 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This is true. But added to the other details (before and after the incident) of the story it will naturally put doubt in peoples minds. Or at least have them ponder/consider!

That is not to say she is not genuine, just that these details added up all allow people to form a view.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,365 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don't assume he's a monster. He was at the very least gravely mistaken about consent.

Assuming he was just misinformed, then the whole thing could have been avoided if he had been informed about consent through open discussion. Seems the least we can do for young people is give them good instruction on such an important topic which can have such grave impact on people as it had with these two.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ah ok - so this is all about trying to prove she is a liar 🙄

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Lol.

We're saying she's not genuine. We're just putting doubt out there she is.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

And despite all that you have claims there was no assault.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 56,242 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Big difference making moves to wake up a partner or an established friend with benefits like this, where you know where the lines are drawn or you can tell someone to fvck off without being intimidated or in fear that you will be forced."

With respect, this is ridiculous. You can't have one law or level of acceptable behaviour for partners/ established friends and another law or standard for people who have just met. How on earth can a court never mind the people concerned figure out when and where they are transgressing in that situation. At what point do you cross the line from one to the other?

Yes, common sense tells us that it should be OK with partners/ established friends. And if common sense says that, well it should be the same across the board. And therein lies the issue that many feel is at the heart of this.

At the end of the day, she asked him to stop and he stopped. That's the best you can ask for in these grey areas. It shouldn't matter a whit legally whether he was astride her and groping her or whether he was lying beside her and gently caressing her breast. There is no difference when you reduce things to legalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

You'd think the foreplay they had earlier would've been away more sexual ....more so than playing with her boobies while she was asleep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Bullshit, for every guilty case, theres 4 or 5 not guilty. Just because the sindo isnt reporting it doesnt mean its not happening especially with their feminist agenda. The DPP almost has a scattergun approach to cases of this type, hoping some thicko jury finds a man guilty of a crime he didnt commit to prove a point.

You dont have a clue what you're talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Not at all. But it’s likewise unwise to take someone’s word for it. Humans have many motivations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No . You label him " decent " . He comiited a crime of assault , causing harm . If he had kicked someone drunk in the gut because they had been arguing before they fell asleep , but admitted that he'd done wrong later to the guards , would that mean he should not be prosecuted or found guilty ? This is not a civil matter as some here seem to be confused about . It is a criminal prosecution, of the type of offence that are not easily taken by the DPP.

He will likely get a reduced sentence because he admitted the offence and is remorseful.

But he still is guilty.

I wonder also would there be so much boohoo here about it if he was either an older man or a unemployed drug user and not a " could be anyone of us "?

Or else she has , in her full senses realised that she made a mistake while totally pvssed and she would never have gone home with him sober .

Maybe there is more in that than has come to light , spiked drink perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm not making a joke out of it. I have been sexually abused more times over the years since I was a child then anyone ever was. And it's still happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Women with all this bullshít about being treated equal well men aren't equal when it come to being sexually assaulted.

You couldn’t be more wrong. Even if you wanted to play silly ‘reverse the gender’ games, if any man said they didn’t want to have sex, and then they woke up to a guy on top of them fondling their cock, and made a complaint to Gardaí, the guy who had committed sexual assault wouldn’t be long finding himself being questioned by Gardaí.

At least compare like with like if you’re gonna try and use that bullshìt to make out that a man who is the victim of someone else making the decision to commit sexual assault, would be treated any differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

Ah but most posters think what happened is fine. It isnt , you can lament the results (which isnt fully out yet) but he did commit a crime. He admitted to it.

I think you missed the point the poster made. They said that you can have lines drawn with partners or FWBs. That means there is an understanding, ideally clearly expressed, that they enjoy the partner initiating sex while they're asleep. That's consent. That's the difference.

If they haven't discussed it, and they initiate sex while then the partnernis asleep, they're equally open to the partner considering it good craic as sexual assault. And we all now know the law classes it as sexual assault. So there you have it. Not much of a gray area at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

You talk about that like it was the only thing that happened and if that were the case then fair enough, but it is not black and white. The bigger picture was all of what happened around the incident, which probably indicates the situation was more nuanced than "she was asleep and he sexually assaulted her". From the articles, we see that the actual incident, viewed in isolation was him "on top of her and groping her breasts" while she was asleep. Adding the context of them hooking up and engaging in foreplay and then discussing having sex in the morning makes this not seem like a criminal offence.

To me, what stands out is that he didn't seem to accept that her account of what happened was the same as his, therefore he didn't apologise to her, so they "agreed to disagree" in the days afterwards. a year later she then reports what happened to the Gardai.

Therefore I would kind of question what is not being reported here as there seems to be something missing. Sexual violence was quoted in the victim impact statement so there may have been something more than just "being on top of and groping her".

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread closed. It will not be re-opened. There are a number of reports to go through and further action may ensue

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement