Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karen Harrington jailed for life for the murder of Santina Cawley

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Evil woman R.I.P little Santina

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I can never understand what drives someone to hurt a child.

Poor little Santina. RIP

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

RIP, poor little Santina.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

A short horrific life filled with neglect and fear and pain. In full view of everybody. But don’t forget. Modern Ireland is great place for kids, much better then the bad old days….

• Registered Users Posts: 23,697 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thank fùck.

Vile creature deserves whatever she gets in prison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

Can't believe people are querying the circumstances leading to the child's death on social media, the family have gone through enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭foxsake

while I see your point - people want the broader story and details.

Personally I'm wondering why the father left the apartment at 3am for 2hours on foot - after a night on the beer to either locate a phone or his cousin. In my shoes I'd say I would sort it out in the morning as I was tired...2hours walking about cork (assuming he is half cut)....between 3 and 5am . fcuk that.

I'm not blaming him and it doesn't take away from the horror of the murder of the little girl at all and the worst kind of evil committed by the killer.

You can have many different feelings and interests in a single story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I've a daughter that is 2 years and 3 months old. It was impossible to read any of the reports without imagining my little girl in that situation. It was the first time I've ever cried reading the news. My heart breaks for what Santina went through, and what her parents will forever be going through. That will never go away or make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭touts

If there is any justice in this world the evil bitch will be found in her cell in a similar state to the poor little child she tortured and murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

There have been a few very disturbing cases recently in Ireland. I think community has broken down. People have become very selfish, blinded, overworked or afraid. And keep assuming the government and corporations are going to help and it's all going to be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why the father left the apartment, the circumstances around it are all completely **** irrelevant lads.

If a child is left in your care, you take care of it as if it's your own, no matter who left it, when they left it, where they left it, or how you feel about the parents.

If Adolf Hitler himself left his toddler child in your care, you mind that fvcking child like it's your own flesh and blood. Humanity 101.

All the blame here lies with the woman who murdered a toddler, and nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Nah.

She very much deserves punishment for what she did.

Yep. Nothing to see here. Child spends the day in her buggy while her father and his girlfriend booze in the park before being brutally murdered by a woman who clearly remembers nothing about it.

No, nothing to see here. Move right along. We wouldn’t want to be querying any of this at all….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Regarding the comment about the women's prison, I couldn't agree more. While I'm sure she'll get a really hard time from most of her fellow prisoners, the conditions of that women's prison, to me, are appalling: it's not a prison at all, it's a holiday home.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

thats a nonsense. parents also have a duty of care, no matter what. the woman is pure evil etc, but parents still have a duty of care ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭foxsake

nobody blamed the father and only blamed the killer.

this doesn't mean there are other aspects of the story that are of interest.

So why he left the apartment isn't irrelevant. I've kids , a mobile phone and a cousin and I wouldn't be walking about the streets (albeit I live in Dublin) at 3am - half cut maybe fully pissed - for 2 hours trying to locate either phone or cousin after a night on the lash.

imagine the audacity of seeing a story in the public eye through your own eyes and experiences .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭Xander10

As a parent, I take a duty of care to protect my children. And if a need arises to leave them in the care of someone else, I do not do it lightly, I need to feel 100% sure they are safe and protected with that person.

I would never leave a child in the sole care of someone off their head on drink & drugs. And I am sure the father knew a bit more than you and me about the stability of that women.

I suspect a lot more information will come to light in the coming days about both parties. Probably another massive fail by Tusla also.

What if it was Hitler's parents leaving little Adi with you?

The handiest thing is to blame TUSLA. TUSLA literally have their hands tied behind their backs in these situations.

It’s fine to get involved with families in the general Irish population and kids can be and are removed from these severely dysfunctional situations all the time.

But when it comes to minorities the cries of bigotry racism and discrimination hover over their heads and force them very much into the background. It’s the same in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What does a life sentence constitute in terms of actual years imprisoned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wezz

Can't always be blaming Tusla, as a social worker I get fed up with these comments every time something like this happens. Tusla, social workers and others can only do so much. It might surprise some people to know that we can't just go in and take children off their parents, the threshold is quite high and there are cases I'm working on now even more troubling than this family that will go nowhere because it legally can't until something tragic happens. I guarantee if I could legally step in and remove every child I have a concern about people would be calling us heavy handed and cruel. So we can't win. These is only one person to blame here and that's Karen Harrington.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

The kid was being dragged around from place to place while the father and his gf went on a session. She was in the fathers care in the first place after acquiring a broken femur while under the care of her mother. It seems to me that this little girl was failed by the adults in her life and it’s tragic.

It's similar to the Gardai, completely understandable that the system would very quickly wear ya down even with the best of intentions. And again similar to the Gardai there's plenty who don't go to much effort to make it look like they're going to any effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Tusla are made out to be these big monsters who come in and take people's kids.

In reality for kids to be taken the circuitstances have to be very grim.

The way some children are raised would shock lots of people.

When Tusla do get involved they've to deal with the bleeding heart brigade who know nothing about the situation.

Tusla also have to deal with false reports of abuse/neglect from people feuding with one another.

I do understand how some young people who end up very messed up due to the care they receive of their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

How long before this lady is back on the streets? 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭rightmove

you strike again from the misandrist pulpit. If the father did this what title would you put on this thread???????

its your hypocracy I find so obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Absolutely horrific story.

Those saying you cannot be blaming Tulsa, deal with them occasionally with work and they are absolutely shocking, totally inept and somewhat incompetent. Hopefully things have changed. But full blame lays with that evil b1tch. What the fcuk is wrong with some people.

Stories like this just want to make you go home and hug your own hugs and not let go.

RIP Santina.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Notwithstanding above, like many people I'd have wondered at the fathers apparent casual attitude to the care of his young daughter. Going by what is reported he was on the piss, left her to go off for a couple of hours in middle of the night. I'm sure he's heartbroken but.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Nobody is denying that Tusla make mistakes/have bad members of staff like Gardai, nurses teachers etc

However isn't there only so much they can do.

Advertisement