Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starley Sundowner 21

Options
  • 17-05-2022 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭

Has anyone experienced this boat. It was built by Starley Marine in Walton on Thames in the late 70s/early 80s. Some were built as motor sailers with bilge keels and all had canoe sterns. There was one for sale in Arklow a couple of years ago but there is very little information about them online. One short thread on YBW.com, some for sale postings, one Dutch blog and 2 brief sale videos.

The boat is similar in ways to a paired down Albin 25, which is my dream boat but rare in Ireland, apart from some on the Barrow that I know of

If anyone has had any experience of one I would love to hear about it. Thank you.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Don't know them. Reminds me of the Myra Plast boats, same canoe stern and popular in Scandinavia.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Yes there are definitely similarities with the Myra Plast. I went to see one in Belturbret before Covid, being sold as a “Viking Cruiser”. It was a Myra 23 with aft cabin. Solidly built but a little tight on headroom. I would imagine anything built for fjord hopping could cope reasonably well with the Irish west coast within reason.

Have you considered a Channel Islands 22?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The Channel island 22 is a very capable boat by all accounts. I hadn’t seriously considered one because the boat will be mainly based on Lough Erne rather than salt water. I have already purchased the Sundowner, just looking for some more info at them.

Starley also built the Sea Nymph, which has a fairly good sea keeping reputation.

I hadn't realised that you had bought the Sundowner - best of luck and enjoyment with her

• Advertisement
Advertisement