Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caring for new build garden

Options
  • 17-05-2022 1:15pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have recently moved into a new build and the garden is still growing but lots of weeds starting to popup. The landscaper for the development said it was primarily down to the soil being used by the developers to make the garden and the grass is progressing on well.

Just reaching out for suggestions/ guidance on how to properly take care of the garden to get best results ?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

If your new build "soil" is anything like our new build soil then it's full of all sorts of sh!te. I took out 10 tonnes of what they left and put in 10 tonnes of proper top soil.

Are you in North County Dublin by any chance?

Most new developments like that have thin, poor soil on top of rubble and other rubbish. Dig a test hole and see what you find.

If you want to encourage the grass (looks like it was seeded recently), just pull the big weeds by hand and mow when it gets to 3-4 inches which will encourage growth. Water if it's dry.

If planting up beds, introduce lots of organic material such as compost and manure to improve what is bound to be poor soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Weeds are going to pop up even if you get your garden landscaped by a top quality professional. As dancinpants says, pull out big ones like docks and thistles, mow the rest as the grass gets long enough.

Agreed that, chances are what is there will never make much of a lawn. You can either go at it now, dig it all over, take out the rubbish, add more decent soil or compost, and re-seed, or leave it and see what you get - you might get lucky and find you have a reasonable lawn. Most people's experience is that the first option will happen sooner or later.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thanks lads, will work on it over the weekend. Weeds are that bit worse now from the bit of rain we've been having too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Correct mowing at regular intervals will sort this out, with watering and fertiliser if necessary.

Keep it long enough for the grass to be healthy and shade out the low growing weeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Hey, I'm in a similar boat to the OP. Moved into our house last year and just working on the lawn now. I scarified and aerated the lawn and 2 weeks ago put down the 4 in 1 lawn feed moss killer. I did it by hand and there are some patchy areas. Would I do more harm than good putting some more grass seed on those areas now?

Wouldn't be any harm to put down grass seed, I don't think you should put down any more feed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Hope the OP doesn't mind me tagging on a similar issue. I'm in my new build 2 years now and only got the seeding done last Summer from the landscapers but I have the below pics of my lawn and having similar issues in that some areas are thriving and some not as much (although not dead etc).

Last Autumn I aerated the lawn (but didn't feed it - prob just my bad on that one). The lawn was aerated again early Spring and given a feed. There were a lot of struggling patches so I reseeded those parts and gave the whole lawn an overseed too. The lawn is regularly watered when there is a lack of rain and mowed weekly, quite high - top setting for first few cuts of this spring, down one level now for last couple of cuts.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get the lighter green areas to catch up to the thicker areas?

No pets by the way so that isn't the cause of any of the patches.

The striped effect of the yellowish patches compared with the green seems as though it would have more to do with how the original site was prepared/fed. The big patch near the patio though, while no where near as bad as some, I suspect that if you were to investigate it a bit you would find builder's rubbish or compressed clay under there. Even the remains of a sand dump, or a place where a concrete mixer stood, can seriously dis-improve the quality of the soil in an area.

We challenged the builders on this after we had bought the place (December with a promise to see the grass the next Summer) and in particular when we looked at a raised bed they put in it was only done really to hide some of the support wall but mainly dumped material that they said is standard stuff - the things they do is infuriating.

Do you think it's the case then that stopping short of taking it all up to see what is there and potentially replacing it , that what I have I might be stuck with?

• Advertisement

I'd give it a couple of summers and see how it gets on. If you decide then it is not improving you may have to start again, but I have seen much worse. It may improve, or it could dis-improve.

If people said to builders, no don't do anything with the garden, make me an allowance on it, or get them to stack the soil allowance in a corner - they will usually have decent topsoil as they have removed it from the site in the first place - then sorted it themselves it would be a great benefit to them. Builders are not gardeners, they don't care, so long as it looks superficially tidy. Mind you I have come across landscapers who are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think it looks fine. The problem is that you've nothing else growing so the lawn attracts attention.

Grow all the things 😀

This it partially true but with a 2 year old it was about keeping space for her to run around in too!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I've invested in a sprinkler and I've cleared a big chunk of weeds. There's patches of grass long enough at the back, but it's bare enough and patchy up front.

Hopefully with watering and regular weeding it will grow!

Any other suggestions welcome!

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It took a few years for my lawn to not be patchy. I would say yours will be fine eventually.

You could try put more seed down, might be a bit late in the year but no harm in trying. Worst case you have to try again in September. I gave mine a good watering in the evenings on a fairly regular basis during the summer, and also used lawn food / evergreen on it at one stage.

It's full of weeds now, it's no perfect lawn, but it serves its purpose and looks absolutely fine.

That's pretty poor looking Sully, I'd say in the long run its a dig it up and start again job. What the landscaper said is just waffle, it doesn't make any sense. In the mean time I think I would get some bags of compost of some sort - anything really, Lidl's will do if it works out cheapest, and put a covering on, especially in the bald patches. Even a thin layer will help improve the soil. Rake it in a bit where it is bald. It doesn't matter if you put it on top of already growing grass, rake it gently to encourage it to go to the soil level. Grass will grow through, but it would be improved by a bit more seed in the bald bits anyway. Keep sprinkling it to keep the surface damp.

I said I'd give a quick update just for those in similar situations to me. I didn't treat the grass and instead watered it pretty frequently at first and then slowed down to just watering the patches twice a week. This is how it currently looks.

The bit at the back wall isn't as strong growth wise compared to the rest of the garden, funnily enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

which way does the garden face? i.e. where does the sun hit it?

Its almost impossible to get absolutely even growth on a piece of grass like that. Its doing extremely well. You have different amounts of sunshine resulting from the shade on the different sides, especially as it is between the house and that very high wall. Also a rain shadow from the wall. Concrete leach from the wall and the effect of the foundations not far down. Even a slightly different patch of soil or compaction from machinery will affect it. It really is remarkably even in the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 alexandriya

I'm also searching for gardening ideas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Ouch Chinese Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

When I needed a small patch of lawn to grow well, I took a different approach: feed (like crazy), water (like crazy) and mow very frequently (weekly, sometimes 2x week.) The patch which had never done great in front of the house, looked like a putting green by the time I was done.

I made sure my mower blade was sharp so no fungus issues, too. But basically, I wanted to 'overdose' the grass on goodies. There were never weeds to contend with after an initial by-hand weeding. I don't think I seeded much either. It really worked but was kind of intense work. The fertilizer was just generic stuff.

For a bit I mowed with a push mower, but switched to a small petrol powered one as the grass grew too fast for me....

Now, long term, not sure how that'd work out! But my goal was a picture-perfect patch of grass before the house went on the market, and mission accomplished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

How often did you seed or put down fertiliser?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Seeded heavily at beginning. Fert about every 2-3 weeks.

West facing so gets a chunk of sun most of the day, maybe late afternoon we start to loose it.

Nope, the landscaper for the developer took a look for me and said it was well seeded and just keep watering it!

We don't actually have a lawnmore yet, we have someone in the estate who pops around and does it when we need them! On the to do list!

is the developer Cairn? Garden type and patio look familiar.

For what it's worth, I'd take it easy on he fertilising. A good feed in spring and summer is about as much as a lawn needs. Overfertilising a new lawn will only damage it in the long term.

my images were mcgarrell reilly but they all seem to do the same thing these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I have a McGarrell Reilly new build too, in the house just going on a year. Some patches near the fence posts are struggling that I'm trying to sort out at the moment. Clover has taken over unfortunately... But I am happy enough with the grass as a whole, apart from the very bare spot at the end of the patio. I dont have great photos but ill put some better ones up later. Its an ongoing project!

• Advertisement

Are you getting standing water in the grass

Advertisement