Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restrictions on dogs/horses on Kerry blue flag beaches..

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Should we ban people while we're at it.

After all a number if individuals leave rubbish on the beach, may aswell tar them all with the same brush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭screamer

Delighted to see it. Horses being exercised at speed along inch beach in the summer with small kids there is ridiculous. Also had a dog almost attack my daughter when she was just a toddler on a Wexford beach and it was on a leash but way too powerful for the idiot owner. Definitely should be banned in summer. As for dung, yeh well inch is full of it, human that is. The dung dunes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

The dirt from dogs left on beaches is a fraction of the rubbish that is left there by humans .... pity we can't ban humans from the beach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,840 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm involved in the Dublin Biosphere, particularly on the Bull Island which, although new is a nature reserve that hosts a massive amount of wildlife among which are 8,000 wild fowl and 26,000 waders, 180 different bird species and 300 species of plants.

Regular dogs let to roam free in the dunes and on the salt marshes have had a massive impact on the wildlife on the Bull Island. Everything, from the eradication of the hares to the flushing of gaggles of geese that are trying to fatten up for the return migration and the unbelievable amount of dog scat, a lot of which is dumped & preserved to rot in plastic bags by lazy c7nts that pick up the scat when being observed & then dump it later. The seal colony is constantly harassed and chased in to the water by dogs whose owners think it's fine even during pup season in the winter. The ground nesting birds are also constantly harassed by off lead dogs.

It's a shame that responsible dog owners are punished by a pack of irresponsible and clueless idiots. I've often stepped in dog scat in my bare feet entering and exiting the water. It's disgusting, selfish, lazy and it's only a matter of time before this lot have dogs banned from the island just like beaches in Kerry which has long been a brilliant place to walk with dogs for Dubliners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Last week all the newspapers carried stories about large fines for motorists not paying M50 tolls.

The M50 tolls have a 99% compliance. We even pay them here in NI as they'll come after NI regs too

It is as simple as a few high profile fines and court appearances to stop most of it.

And as a dog owner that holidays in Kerry, I think it's a good compromise. I would go further and say that if the owner does not carry a doggy waste bag, a fine should be issued as most of the beaches have the bags at the entrance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

It should be a fine for not cleaning up after a dog and a fine for not having a dog on a lead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

FYI the M50 are paying a legal company constantly to look after fines, the system automatically pulls the data and transfer to the company, they are getting paid nicely to make sure everyone is followed up

this was put in place after years of people building uP huge debts and not paying when the m50 tracked them down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,180 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Am glad to see that this issue is getting some attention.

It's the dog owners who should be banned, the ones who cause the problems for everyone else... those that don't pick up , don't keep the dogs on a lead when they can't control their dog, and don't take their plastic bag of poo to a bin to dump it .

I don't see horses being an issue but if one dog poo can have enough ecoli to cause a beach to fail water standards ...of course horses poo need to be cleared up also . ( aside from the fact that it is such a valuable commodity :))

Sure, people litter and are dirty devils too, but its what's in the poo as well as the control where nature or children are that is the reason for the ban .

The local councils could clean up their act too . Not enough bins or wardens . Still does not excuse the wholesale dumping of plastic shxx bags by equally shxxty owners .

Advertisement