Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flowers from seed.

Options
  • 17-05-2022 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Can I ask a quick question : I am considering sowing some Sweet William flower seed this year to have young plants to plant out early next year. What is the best time of year to sow the seed. Should I sow them late and outwinter them ??

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You can sow them now.

From another website

Sweet William is easy to grow from seed, but they don't typically bloom the first year. The seed can be sown into the ground in the late spring or early summer when there is no danger of frost. They prefer cool temperatures of around 50-55 degrees Fahrenheit and consistently moist soil for germination. Temperatures above 65 degrees Fahrenheit can result in weak, leggy growth.

These plants don't like to be over-crowded, so, as the seeds germinate, thin them out so there is adequate air circulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I grew sweet williams the year before last, sowed them in early spring and planted out when they were sturdy plants. They flowered profusely that same summer and I trimmed them back and left them overwinter. They flowered again the following summer but not as well, they looked a bit scruffy, and I took them out the following winter as I had decided to change the bed over to shrubs, but they were pretty much gone at that stage. So you can't always rely on them doing as they are supposed to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Sweet william are biennial, plant one year and they flower the next. They will ocassionally overwinter and flower again. They often self seed and you can use the seedlings for the following year. Now is a good time to plant, also wallflowers for next spring and perennials which will flower next year and continue for years, eg lupin, delphinium, phlox, hollyhock etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

In relation to the OPs question if I plant wildflower seeds now I presume it will be next year before they grow?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Many wildflower seeds are annuals and will flower this year, though its getting late to sow them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement