Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Star Trek-Strange New Worlds 1x03 - 'Ghosts of Illyria' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** } « » St

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,153 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, I'd agree with you here... it's not a big deal, but it's just something that instantly raises a whole bunch of other questions in my mind, which is a bit distracting. Like, if pattern buffers are a viable way of maintaining someone with a terminal illness, then logically of course you would have dedicated machines that did that, and probably whole stasis medical centres full of people waiting for a cure. I mean, it seems like exactly the type of tool you would have in a medical bay on a starship in the event you can't get someone the help they need when you're weeks/months from anywhere.

It just seems like instead of a clandestine jury-rigged solution, it should be a default practice and very useful tool. I just don't get the need for it to be a secret.

There's just a few little spots here and there, like last weeks thing of not letting us in on the Spock plan, where the writers are opting for cheap surprise/reveal drama instead of just trusting the audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Like, if pattern buffers are a viable way of maintaining someone with a terminal illness, then logically of course you would have dedicated machines that did that, and probably whole stasis medical centres full of people waiting for a cure. I just don't get the need for it to be a secret.

I would say maybe the Federation does not agree with this method for some reason maybe because it is not ethical or something and the is why Doctor M'benga was keeping it a secret.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Again though, if that's the case it's something that could have been clarified with 1 line - and would even have been a nice tie in with Number One, as another person with a characteristic banned by starfleet.

They just need to get better at showing their workings basically... it's like in the 2nd episode too, where Uhura hums a tune and the asteroids shields drop - they never give any hint as to how she came to the conclusion that that specific tune would work. We went straight from "it reacts to music", to "here's a very specific input to get the exact result we want".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ethically, transport buffer stasis feels on shaky ground anyway. The patient is basically kept in an unknowing limbo, only woken when those in control see fit - and theoretically years, decades, centuries later. Feels shaky anyway. At least in a medically induced coma the patient ages and exists in parallel with the rest of reality - here the daughter's world will age as her dad fails to find a cure.

I thought it was fairly firmly established that stasis was used by humans for all pre-warp space travel?

It also seems like a totally logical solution to a disease or virus. A virus will still attack you in a coma, you'd need to be in status to properly halt a disease. In a world where they dematerialize and rematerialize people, I have trouble seeing suspended animation as a line they wouldn't want to cross.

I agree it wouldn't stay as transport buffer though, it makes total sense that it would be it's own dedicated machine rather than a jury-rigged use of another technology.

(but regardless, the point is that it doesn't need to be a hanging thread - it's not a logic problem as much as a storytelling problem... make whatever storytelling decision you want, but then fill us in on it properly)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭corkie

Star Trek - TNG Writer on Strange New Worlds Episode 3!

Reviews of prior episodes 1 and 2

Advertisement