Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffalo mass shooting - Great Replacement Theory & the long trail of blood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

What’s interesting about the Great Replacement Theory garbage is that it seems obsessed with finding the “design” in migration — rather than looking at the complex socioeconomic factors that drive migration and indeed the relatively non-complex factor that the countries where people are being “replaced” are relatively wealthy, tolerant and safe. Disregard all that however, because the real reason they are coming is because of decisions made at the Project Great Replacement AGM, held in an underground cavern, attended by the usual Liberal dignitaries like George Soros, an Islamic State fighter posing as a 19 year old Syrian refugee and a mysterious blue-haired, black non-binary snowflake known only to the Right as The Woke Liberal Elite Person.

Great Replacement Theory is, in essence, an intellectually vacuous argument that tries to find an easy answer for a complex phenomenon — i.e. it’s all due to design and therefore there must be a designer and therefore by overcoming the designer you end the design. It’s simplistic rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Anyone see the video, poor people never stood a chance, it always surprises me the absolute violence a gun like that can produce, we're so immune to it from Hollywood that when you see it in real life its just astonishing how something like that can be acquired so easily, like the video of the Christchurch shootings it's scary how quickly your life can be destroyed by some mentalist

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Removal is part of replacing something? So the Uyghurs are not being replaced? Seems a tad brusque, but if that's how you see things. Or is that just semantics on your part?

I don't have a conspiracy theory 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well said. And the problem with the vacuous argument is it can lead to violent radicalization.

thats the best OP ive read on this site in a long long time tbh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Where's the evidence? Otherwise, yes, all you have is a racist conspiracy theory being used to radicalise people.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Since we're doing memes:

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I declined to watch the video beyond what was shown to me on Twitter as evidence the shooter spared white victims. But what's startling about this shooter was, Police already knew about him a year ago, he went in for a psych eval and they couldn't find reason to proceed further than that. Everything he bought - the armor, the gun, was all purchased legally, he only made AFAIK an illegal modification (in NY) to extend the magazine size.

Once again, you wind up with the wrong end of the stick. (there isn't a literal stick with a literal wrong end, so don't type up a few paragraphs demanding an explanation about sticks and racism)

Don't explain why you find it funny whatever you do. 😂

Nazi memes. Someone just threw their soother out of the pram and went home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If people move to Dublin they're Dubs

No they most certainly are not - thats worthy of a thread of its own though I reckon

People are "removed" when they die, naturally or otherwise. If group A are not having enough children to maintain population level, then the population of A is declining over time. If group B immigrate and are having more children, over time group B will replace group A at the total population level of that particular place.

If group B did not arrive then of course group A would still be in decline, but not replaced. That's irrelevant though. The semantic point you are trying to argue is whether it constitutes replacement, as I've just shown, it does.

Your first post on this thread was a meme.

You saw black people get murdered and that was your first reaction. You then went on to promote and defend a Neo-Nazi conspiracy theory intended to radicalising people into committing acts of racially-motivated murder.

He reportedly boasted online about the illegal modifications he was making to the weapon - some controversy as to whether the FBI should have gone after him on it

Once again you decline to argue in good faith: if you think I have the wrong end of the stick, get the other for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

No one is being replaced (take the place of).

Can you give me an example of a single Irish person who has been replaced?

I'm certainly a South Carolinian even though I am not a native South Carolinian. Added to the voter roll and everything. Oxford definition of Floridian for example (which I also previously fell into) included "a native or inhabitant of the US state of Florida." I am a natural Washingtonian (WA). It seems logical to me a Dubliner would be a native or inhabitant of Dublin. A 1st generation American, a naturalized American, is an American, and they have the same rights as every other American, native or otherwise.

A meme that was heaped with praise for its pithiness and contained zero Nazis. Take notes. 🙂

And now throwing Nazis around like snuff at a wake, Hail mary stuff.

What conspiracy theory? That Europeans are being replaced by non Europeans in some European countries? Given that your argument to the counter is that you cant replace people unless you first remove them I'd feel confident in saying that you're relying entirely on semantics now. Hence the slabbering about Nazis.

Nope. It's literally the basic definition of the word. When challenged you mount this pitiful defence because the point of this toxic drivel is to push impressionable young men into committing atrocities.

Feel free to provide evidence but I think at this point it's obvious you have nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Given the facts I don't see how GRT is an exclusively American problem. GRT has been referenced in mass shooting manifestos from the US, to New Zealand, to Norway, etc. it is a topic of global concern.

So 3 nutjobs in the span of 8 years, out of a population of about 7 billion.

Perhaps you are over-egging the pudding here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I seem to remember if was ok for the white supremacists to replace the original population of America

Did you read the OP?

Between the inaccurate, if pithy meme, and your seeming unawareness about a neonazi angle in this thread suggests you didn't read the OP or understand what you were jumping in to deflect from or defend, which was the killing of 10 people and wounding of 3 others in a mass shooting by a killer with neonazi messaging all over his XM-15 rifle.

It's my hope you'll take a break from the thread until you've taken the chance to, you know, actually read it, and come back when you know you're ready to discuss in good faith.

European birthrates are sub-replacement level, so populations will decline unless immigrants are brought in. How is that not "replacing"?

Not even a conspiracy, its just the definition of the word. Those who die are replaced by immigrants instead of through native births at the macro level. Arguing "there is no replacement unless people are killed" is semantics in the extreme, but also incorrect.

It isn't.

This is why precision with words is so important. Presenting it this way suggests that white people are being killed or removed. Semantics are then employed when the conspiracy theory is challenged.

If you're concerned about birth rates, you'd be directing your outrage at the conservatives and neoliberals who enabled the 1% to hoard vast amounts of wealth.

If you want revisit the link I provided feel free:

So far, what you have is that an increase in non Europeans and the corresponding decrease in Europeans as percentage of population does not constitute a replacement so long as the Europeans are not being shipped off somewhere else. A novel attempt at making an argument around semantics but not particularly convincing. I'd suggest you move past the current "facts are racist" "you're a naziiii" phase and straight onto the "why does it matter anyway" position. We might yet establish what is factual before we move onto the moralizing about them. :)

Precision with words is important. Yet again, you have no evidence. Just wailing about a demographic shift and pretending it's some sort of conspiracy does not make it so.

Because it's not replacing. If you want higher European birth rates go have more of your own babies. That's a decision between you and the wife.

REPLACEMENT is another matter.

(Brasstown Bald, summit, GA, 4/22)

Theres no outrage here - I'm just pointing out that you trying to semantically state there is no replacement is wrong. In order to buoy European populations we are importing people essentially from outside Europe. this is fine. However these people who come are replacing the population lost through death in the EU.

Again, there are more than 1 form of replacement. You can physically replace individual people, or at the macro level you can replace declining birthrates with immigrants to keep population up.

The main reason we do it is because no country wants a situation where the old outnumber the young, that kind of demographic invert will cause pensions to go unfunded and all hell to break loose. However it is by definition a replacement.

Nope. Not remotely the same thing. I could go over it again but there wouldn't be a point.

• Advertisement

Theres no outrage here - I'm just pointing out that you trying to semantically state there is no replacement is wrong.

Did you mean assimilation?

Advertisement