Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The media has completely dropped Covid, don't they need to explain why?

• 17-05-2022 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

War in Ukraine and inflation are now all over the news. Headlines about ventilation in schools, vaccinating children and rollout of booster shot #4 are no longer newsworthy. Has the media explained how a war in Ukraine has solved a critical public safety issue in Ireland? Has this even been discussed anywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 appaulingnews

Mod: Can this be moved back to Current Affairs?

This topic is about how the media moves from one horror story to the next without any accountability. I can't be the only one who noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Why would they need to explain?

The biggest news story on the day makes the headlines.

Covid has receded as a public health problem (not gone away, but not as big an issue as previously, for the moment anyway). The war in Ukraine has become a bigger story in news terms.

It hasn't "solved a critical public safety issue" - what a bizarre way to phrase it.

If Covid numbers/infectiousness start rising again to the point where it's a serious public health issue, I'm sure it'll be back up the top at the top of the newsfeed.

A more pertinent question might be why the media thinks the WAG circus currently playing in the High Court in England is in any way newsworthy 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭Allinall

Media print what people want to read, or hear. They appeal to the masses.

People are tired of hearing about Covid, as it's no longer relevant to most.

Inflation and the war in Ukraine are the hot topics that everyone is affected by, and are talking about. The media reflect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

Todays news lines tomorrows birdcages

Comments here make it sound like even noticing the news reporting inconsistencies is too much trouble. This grants the media the role of an abusive spouse, we accept it as "we know what they're like". Newsflash - you really should be able to understand how how your tax money is being spent. Not expecting to be allowed to understand this is top-grade victim mentality. You should expect better for yourselves.

btw: You have the right to ignore stories that don't impact the life prospects of your children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

How is the media spending our tax money???

I think you need the Conspiracy Theories forum, tbh......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

So what were the media companies responses when you reached out to them to inquire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,281 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The lack of healthy people dying from it or famous people catching it leaves it off the headlines. Monkeypox is a lot more interesting at the moment and will have conspiracy theories flying soon when the dots are connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's fairly self-explanatory. The word "news", as in "things are that new".

If there is no new information, there is no "news".

Bit paradoxical to require that the media talk about a topic in order to explain why they're no longer talking about it. If they're not talking about it, it means that there is nothing new to report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

You can ask the same about Boards.ie. Why do "they" (posters) discuss Ukraine more than Covid? Is it some kind of conspiracy? No, Covid is no longer worthy of much attention -- sure, it is still here, but the restrictions are lifted, the vaccines work (mostly), etc.

• Advertisement

Lads, you're all contorting yourselves trying to justify why you don't need to know! Suppose headlines for Mon/Tue are "Stay in"/"Go out". Then the new "news" for Tuesday is (1) you can go out (2) an explanation on why you no longer need to stay in. Only very junior cadets need to accept directions unquestioningly.  

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

"The biggest news story on the day makes the headlines" hiedihiedi

The problem is they decide what the biggest news story is, not joe public. The government or private businesses with links to the government are running the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What is it you want them to report? The low rates of hospitalisation or the falling numbers of cases? These things are not news people will read. COVID has been downgraded to flu' status and we barely talk about that even in the middle of winter. If there is any need to alert the public we will hear about it.

"If there is any need to alert the public we will hear about it." @is_that_so No double meanings intended, I am genuinely envious of your life that you have such a strong faith in authority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Explain why? that is how the media works. They serve on a plate what you're mad to eat up. It's the same reason why there's far less in the news about Ukraine. They'll report on what we pay attention to, that's the way it has always been.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Never mind that OP. The media seem to have strangely stopped going on about the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand,

I think George Soros is behind it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,598 ✭✭✭✭walshb

We’ve had two years Covid dominance…bound to dissipate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

OP there is advertising all over the place regarding the 2nd booster. Over 65's and anybody else who has a compromised immune system can book anytime they want. From the people I know in those categories most couldn't be bothered. Regarding schools covid isn't as prominent in most schools anymore so no need for ventilation or other measures. If you want daily numbers you can find them if you search hard enough. We had a tough couple of years both physically and mentally people are getting over it now so why not embrace the fact we are finally back to normal. I had it a month ago it was a bad cold at worst. I had the flu about 2 months before that and it was 10 times worse. Time to move on my friend. The stress will just kill you. Live your life as if the fucker never existed and let's deal with what's in front of us right now which has the potential to be far worse for our society than any virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭bennyineire

The Vaccine's worked, the end. Life goes on.

What more do you want?

To be clear, I'm delighted the media stopped the fear-mongering and propaganda. My surprise was how abruptly we moved on from this year's Covid scare stories. We have 95% of the population fully vaccinated whom presumably were following their given Covid instructions step-by-step. These Covid instructions abruptly stopped when the Ukraine war started. Are we all here really so sophisticated in postmodern media theory that we just knowingly nod as "the media cycle" progresses and nonchalantly contradicts itself... Well colour me impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Doesn't sound like you're delighted. Sounds like you want something to whinge about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭trashcan

So since you’re being clear, you’re delighted the media stopped the “fear mongering and propaganda” yet you seem upset that they are not talking about COVID anymore. Could you clarify which it is ? Do you think there is something going on that we need to know about and that the media isn’t reporting ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well, if by this you're hinting there is a cover up of some sort going on with COVID you're in the wrong forum. I personally have little interest in a pathogen which now causes so few problems to so few of us. The data is there if you want to review it but the public emergency is long over ergo no longer news worth reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

OP you'll be equally astonished by the speed with which Covid talk will once again dominate the airwaves in the late Autumn. As soon as boosters need to be pushed RTE will let you know you're in danger.

Anyone who doesn't question the impartiality of major media is a fool btw. RTE, Fox, BBC, RT, Al Jazeera... they all have their own angle. They also shine a light on the stuff they want you to care about but they'll ignore other stuff that should be newsworthy. Bad news sells but only certain bad news is fit for consumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Parts of the media have always engaged in sensationalism to sell news. You've always had to filter what is exaggerated to get to some form of normal from it. They always switch focus rapidly.

So you've been naive if you used to think otherwise.

But you're engaged in some self delusion if you think they they reported COVID any differently to anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,536 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Already started yesterday with fears of a surge in September due to waning vaccines and new variants.

This isn’t finished yet.

If people can't handle the news without becoming obsessed they need to stop looking at it, or only look at it once a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,892 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yup, Pat K was back hand-wringing about mask wearing again yesterday.

The difference this time though is that we have a lot more to worry about than what has always been little more than a dose of the sniffles for the vast majority of people.

In all right jack, screw the minority of people.

I'm printing the T-shirts as we speak. Along with "its not my war" and "I'll never need Car Insurance"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,014 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

A few articles in the Indo over the past few days and today , RTE barely a mention albeit their news room preparing for the annual summer exodus. VMN focusing on Ukraine entirely but will soon focus on the excitement of Garth Brooks arrival , this said Zara King has moved back into the Department of Health part time , not for covid coverage as such but Monkey Pox and other kinda health related stories including a report on long covid symptoms yesterday.

I've mostly turned off alledged current affairs radio programmes lately, they are either utterly depressing, little to do with Irish current affairs or segments on the latest hair, fashion or baking trends 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement