Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor extension lead with minimum cross section of 1.5mm2 ?

Options
  • 18-05-2022 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello,

Anyone know where I can find an outdoor power extension lead. I want to plug it into standard domestic 3 pin socket.

It's for a power washer, and the manual says the minimum cross section for conductors must be 1.5mm2 fort a cable 10m or less. For cables more than 10m, it must be 2.5mm2. I've done a lot of searching online, and for products that include a full spec, I can only find cross section of 1, or 1.25mm2 for cables < 10m. I have found a few with 1.5mm2, but they are greater than 10m, so do not meet the spec.

Thanks a lot.

Best Answer

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

This looks like it's 2.5mm2 conductors

Or making up your own is always an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

A small point worth mentioning is that a massively long extension cable can be a right pain because if you are using the full power on it with something like a power washer you should really unwind it. I saw a very interesting fire once when someone was vacuuming and pulling along a burning part wound cable drum behind them. Get the length you need so you unwind it each time.

If I need an extension I make it up out of "Artic Blue" cable, all electrical wholesalers have it in 2.5mm2. I don't know what use its specifically rated for but I've used it outside for years and it also handles well in the cold when some cables get very stiff.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Indeed. A common off the shelf spool from Woodies is marked as being derated from 2200w to only 650w when left coiled. That is of course worst-case for all temperatures & environments, but it's a good demonstration of the potential effect.

Advertisement