Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What else to consider alongside a Stowa Flieger Ikarus

• 18-05-2022 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Inspired by this post by @Pablo_Flox, the Stowa Flieger Ikarus is very much on my horizon to 'treat myself' next year.

I like the overall look of this watch, I like the general style of a pilot/Flieger watch, I like the fact that it's an automatic movement (I would opt for the 'top finish' version), and I like that it's 40mm and no bigger. I would also say that it's a fair different to anything I have already, and, more than double the price of my current most expensive watch (Hamilton Khaki Field auto), which would make it a treat for me!

I'm just wondering what other watches I might consider similar to this and in a relatively similar price range? Not that I feel like I have to consider others, but this purchase wouldn't be happening anyway until early next year.

Happy to hear some suggestions!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I dunno Tob, the Stowa is hard to beat.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

Laco I would say. Decent German brand with good pedigree.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I think that the Ikarus is a great choice!

Keep an eye out on a few of the sales threads on Reddit, WatchUSeek, etc. The Ikarus doesn't come up that often, but if it does you should get a nice discount on it.

I think someone else here also has the exact same model actually but I can't remember who...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 happyguitar

I have an ikarus with a hand wind movement. I like the looks but the legibility isn't great because it's all grey -- dial and hands. The lume isn't great either, and thenumbers are smaller than the pictures make it seem. The legibility might be slightly better with heat blued hands, I have the black paint. Strictly a daylight watch.

Have you looked at Archimede??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I was having a snoop around the www and came across Dekla watches, https://deklawatches.com/en/deckwatch/deckwatch40_arabic

Has anyone else here heard or seen the brand up close?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

Limes is another overlooked German brand from the Ickler family who make Archimede but a little more upscale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭tobdom

The time has come...... placed the order a couple of weeks ago, with a view to having it in-hand in time for my 'milestone birthday'.....

Thank you for your order in the STOWA onlineshop. Your purchase will be proceeded.

You have ordered the following items:

Flieger Ikarus

hands: black hands

movement: top finish movement automatic

Item Number: Flieger_Klassik_40_Ikarus-schwarz-Automatiktop

Delivery Time: 6 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭paulanthony

What colour strap did you go for?

This is the only pic I have on my phone but it’s a great and very versatile watch. Looks equally as good with jeans and a t shirt as a suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Nice collection there. Is that a vintage Omega? Looks very similar to the one I just bought.

• Advertisement

The black strap that it comes with, and also ordered a brown leather strap + a deployant (deployment?) clasp.

Yea, it does seem to be a watch which can de dressed up or down, good versatility!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,891 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Always loved the Ikarus. Beautiful looking watch.

@happyguitar does it wear big or small? I prefer 38mm watches as a max, not sure if 40mm would be too big for my girly wrists.

That’s right. It’s a little small but a nice watch. Manual winding.

Finally the day came........😃 I actually managed some amount of restraint to not don it until quite close to my birthday, as it arrived about 10 days beforehand. Very happy with it, wears lovely.

Thanks for the inspiration @Pablo_Flox !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,891 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A beaut!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Awesome! Lovely watch, wear it in good health.

Sorry to be jumping in late NIMAN.

I have the same watch. The hand wind case is a mm thinner than the auto case due to extra depth needed for the rotor. It wears thinner for a 40mm. Just a little less chunky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

Are you sure they don’t use the same case?

What thickness is the manual option? Always been tempted by one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I’ve had a few - same case different profile caseback adds to thickness on the autos for rotor clearance

Advertisement