Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Needing a No.2 toilet break on a run causing race day anxiety

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

Dropping faeces in public is unhygienic to the public and quiet frankly disgusting. This is turning into a farce.

• Not sure that will help as the OPs thread is for 'No 2'

Have a cup of coffee about 2.5 hours before race, that should get the bowels going and then don't eat or drink anything for 2 hours beforehand.

Also relax, you're not out to win the race so there really shouldnt be any cause for nerves. You're just out to please and impress yourself.

• Perhaps experiment with taking an osmotic laxative before bedtime, eg magnesium citrate, which is safe. If it is suitable in her case it would ensure a complete movement before setting out, so she shouldn’t be troubled further. But it would take experimentation, maybe half a sachet; last thing she would want is any need for repeat visits. Osmotic laxatives are safe in that they are not habit forming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

This used be a problem for me too. I switched to coffee instead of tea in the mornings and I nearly always eat and move around before leaving doing household jobs or whatever and problem sorted. I could never just get out of bed and run unless I knew there was a loo en route. I’d probably go easy on fruit and switch to white bread / rice a few days before a big race though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Steve Way takes Imodium about an hour before a big race. A cup of coffee really helps I find. Also lactose/gluten needs to be zero for me on race day. The thing is with a number 2 it makes you dehydrated so it's important to replace the fluid and salts you lost also. Monitoring hydration levels I feel is also important leading up. If dehydrated then issues. Also a 1-2 mile warm up and a trip to the loo is lots of people routine pre a race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

1. Fast well in advance of practice runs and use water/coffee to make sure nothing is there.
    2. Once that is established for a few runs assess if energy levels are ok. If not either @) change pre race intake to be slow release b) Use energy mixtures eg Maurten c) move the last meal closer to run time.

Another Q might be how far into the run does this happen? Does she need to go just the once? Could she also try using a warmup to get things moving, use the loo and then ready to go? Have as many tools available as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

"Have as many tools available as possible."

So, Maximise the tools to minimise the stools :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

... And always have a buff with you. Fantastic multi purpose garments.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭passinginterest

As a dodgy tummy sufferer, I found reducing protein intake the day before a race/long run helpful. Coffee and moving around a bit in the morning to get things moving. Avoid anything with dried fruit (cranberries in particular). Keep the pre race food and drink plain and familiar. I used Imodium on some long runs and for marathon just for reassurance as much as anything and it definitely helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Personally, I can't eat three hours before any run. Observing that rule works normally during the day, assuming a morning toilet habit. For early races, you might just have to get up earlier and have a cup of coffee, whatever it takes to get things moving in enough time ....

• Advertisement

Climbers who are camping on sheer rock faces over multiple days as use these sort of things -> so tested in the most extreme circumstances!

Safe to put in a bin

Could carry one in an emergency as they are light

But the most sensible advice is find a way to "evacuate" before the race

For the truly hardcore, just go and keep running like this (in)famous case

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I occasionally suffer from bouts of Ulcerative Colitis resulting in exactly this symptom (as well as cramping and general gastric discomfort there which I suspect your friend may also experience too) unfortunately. My consultant advised taking Immodium before races and long runs during a flare up and so far its worked pretty well, YMMV.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Some weird responses here alright.

Simple enough - it's all about evacuation. If there's nothing there, there's nothing to worry about.

I think over time you can certainly train yourself to time the 'movement' for first thing in the morning - a few weeks of encouraging this should see her right. When this came up before someone suggested "Two weetabix before bed and they'll be waiting for you in the morning". One that's the habit, you can encourage with coffee, tea or any warm drink when you get up.

Failing all that, the race series usually has plenty of portaloos so it's a fairly low-risk environment as racing goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Thanks everyone for some really helpful advice. I've shared the thread with her and she wishes to say the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Ha! Got a good giggle out of that. Would make a fun reality show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Wow what a bizarre collection of responses.

@Lazare i've had issues with needing to use facilities mid run, especially during long/high intensity runs in hot (or hotter than usual) weather. Last Summer was particularly tough doing long marathon training runs with a lot of marathon pace etc. I can empathise with her anxiety, it's an awful feeling, the fear of it. I spent last Summer doing short loops for that reason. Anyhow, despite that I've run 4 marathons and countless shorter races and I've yet to need a toilet during a race. It's amazing what the nerves beforehand do to help have a good clear out. The advice I'd give is to stick to a big race in the Phoenix Park for her 1st race, where there are plenty of portaloos, but my hope for her would be that she'll surprise herself and find she doesn't need it mid-race at all. Also no harm at all to cut down on fibre for 2-3 days beforehand. I really hope it doesn't put her off.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭oinkely

I'll add to this from experience. Spent a few months getting caught out something awful on evening runs. Hobbling home in pain from clenching and duck walking a hundred meters at a time. Very unpleasant. So much so I went to the GP for advice. He sent me for a camera inspection to make sure all was ok - which it was. The consultant fella said it was most likely related to the body clearing out unnecessary stuff during hard exercise. Something like blood supply being drawn away from the bowel during exercise leading to early clear out cause the body doesn't want to carry around the unprocessed stuff during hard exercise. He suggested immodium, but I haven't needed it. For a while I just did a local loop of a few km that brought me past the house twice and allowed a clear out before heading further afield. This worked well while I figured out a better plan. Being aware of whats going on with my toilet patterns has helped too. For long runs in the mountains though i would carry a little plastic trowel though, just in case.......

• I had pretty bad Ulcerative Colitis. Had a panproctocolectomy with end ileostomy, never looked back. I don’t run, but if I did I would likely have few problems regarding toilet breaks as it’s all contained. The only thing would be maintaining electrolytes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Another couple of things to consider. Reduce the amount of protein and harder to digest plant matter in your meals the day before a race. Those nutrients aren't going to help you running (except to the toilet). Also an alternative to eating on the day of a race, is rest. Glycogen stored in your muscles just stays there until it's used. So, if you aren't too active before a morning race, then maybe you don't need to eat (much) if the glycogen stores are still topped up from the night before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Why not have a good fibre meal the day before. Good bowl all bran day before, and coffee first thing in morning. Give herself plenty time in morning to use the toilet. Empty the bowels.

Thanks again folks, I hadn't checked in on the thread myself over the last few days but she has and wanted me to say thanks to you too.

You know what has to happen now C? You're gonna have to report back and let us know what happens....Good or bad.......

I will do P, she's signed up which is great. Has been to the pharmacy too for a product based on advice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hey,

I marathon trained last year and this was an issue for me so I spoke with the VHI dietician.

She recommended the following.

Probiotics -Udos choice. Supplement of Super 8 that is kept in the fridge which will help immune system.

Energy gels Fructose and Glucose. Science in Sport gels.

Maurten mentioned as a blend but didn't try.

Next notes is as follows, might have been a plan on the day but can't remember.

60g cards per house then 30g energy every half an hour.

Pre-training meal. This is what surprised me. Was told white break with a High GI and jam with it. I was having a healthier bread.

Low fiber so low in fat which will slow digestion.

Oats with banana and honey.

Granola with honey and/or mik/yoghurt (kefir) not sure about this line as that would be my usual breakfast.

These notes were taken last Sept so hopefully make some sense.

If you have a healthcare plan try and get an online assessment. Mine was free with my plan so worth looking in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Escapees

Interesting discussion...

I wouldn't think there's a need to get too caught up in her food intake specifics the day before a race, as the reality is that nerves and other factors will often dictate bowel movements on the day. That said, some things come to mind...

As someone else mentioned, pushing very hard on a run can cause issues for some people. But this usually hits you afterwards or just on long runs.

Have heard that poorly cushioned footwear or a clip-clop running style can lead to issues for some people due to the impact jolt aggravating the gut.

Dehydration is also known to cause runners trots, but again you'd really be talking long runs.

And the one that noone seems to have mentioned... Keeping 'gas' in on a run (e.g. if running with others (usually women!) or past pedestrians) can give rise to an urgent need to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Well @Lazare, did she race yet? I hope she's had a really positive experience if she did.

She did! She took a lot of advice from here and it was really helpful.

She ran the Tallaght 5 mile and had an amazing time. She's signed up for the next two and has a ton more confidence.

Thank you to all.

Great news. If that campervan is for sale let me know, I'm interested.

• Advertisement

Advertisement