Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win 11 Upgrade crashes PC

Options
  • 18-05-2022 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi lads, I got the message to upgrade to win 11. It downloaded, installed to 100% and then got a blue screen

Pressing Enter or F8 does nothing.

I can get into UEFI, but that's all.

Any help lads ?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Do you have a copy of the Win11 install on a USB drive? If not, you can use the Media Creation Tool from MS to make one. Then you can boot from that, and potentially recover/reinstall it.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

Trying to download it now. Was hoping to get at the Microsoft Recovery Tool, but can't get past the Blue screen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

In the meantime, what drives are in the PC? Are there any extra drives added to it? Or is just the single drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I got that message and eventually got around it after making sure the BIOS settings were all correct and using this Windows 11 Installation Assistant. I can't remember what exactly the issue was. You can still boot into windows using the windows recovery screen.

I know I had searched far and wide, checked all cables etc and none of those were the issues in my case, they were just a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

Lads panic over. I was unable to boot into anything past the Blue Screen, but I downloaded a "rescue" usb brive and that seems to have fixed it.

Thanks for your interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Btrfs

Greetings.

I will strongly suggest NOT to upgrade to Windows 11 as of yet.

I have a friend, using Windows machine ( currently reverted back to W10 thnx to my Linux usb ), who had the same issue :

Upgraded to W11 resulted in BSOD ( We all "Love MS" ).

Leaving aside the fact that I've managed to get around it without the USB at first, the result was :

90% of his apps / programs simply didn't work at all. So, I just plugged in a USB, and reverted it to W10.

Result : All of his Micro$oft stuff are now up and runing.

P.S. The problem has nothing to do with hardware or drivers on your machine, I can asure you.

Tested that already using KVM : Upgraded to W11, and the same problem occured, so - No W11 for now, better stay at W10.

Offtopic : If you ask me... better stay away from M$ at all, but... yeah :D

Advertisement