Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosacea Torture

Options
  • 18-05-2022 9:17pm

Hello all,

I was recently diagnosed with rosacea. Apart from a redder than usual nose there are no other visible signs yet I want to get ahead of it.

Anyways I love love love skincare products and makeup so I've had to really change my routine and what I use. My problem now is with cleansing. My usual was Elemis pro collagen at night and Cerave in the morning. I'm currently in mourning for them.

Google helped me pick what I had hoped would be effective cleansers but they aren't doing a good enough job. To take off makeup I use La Roche Posay Toleriane cleanser and when I'm not wearing makeup it's Aveeno Calm and Restore. Prior to those two I used Krave Beauty Matcha cleanser but it gave me spots.

My dermatologist suggested an Elave one. I wil try it but I'm sceptical at this stage given that 3 supposedly good cleansers are pretty much useless. None of it is helped by my inability to cause much friction to my face.

I do have a sample of Biologique Recherche cleanser but it contains an ingredient that's controversial and I've become a bit obsessed about picking the 'right' ingredients.

Do any of you have recommendations for a hard working yet gentle cleanser? In the past balms have been my friend but I can't seem to find one that's rosacea friendly.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

I have a lot of redness and have always been very sensitive to cleansers. I recently found that the boots micellar water wipes don't seem to cause any issues at all.

I don't usually like to use wipes but I keep going back to them. I tried actual micellar water years ago but I can't remember if it caused issues or not. I must try it again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A bit late to this but hopefully it will help. I have rosacea and acne rosacea myself and after a recent bout of breakouts and some very dry skin on my eyelids I got in touch with the Irish Skin Foundation. I hadn't heard of them before then but they offer a free consultation with a nurse over the phone for anyone who wants to ask about their skin condition. For me she recommended the La Roche Posay Toleraine eye cream which has really helped and I also bought the Toleraine moisturiser at the same time which is also working well. I'm still having some small breakouts but they are going away and likely more to do with the hot sunny weather we have had than anything else. I do wear La Roche Posay SPF 50 every day which I mix with the moisturiser in the palm of my hand before applying to my face. If you don't already wear an SPF every day, you should consider it.

If you want to contact the ISF you'll find them here: https://irishskin.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

I was diagnosed with Rosacea last year - mainly on my left cheek and smaller outbreak on right. I was put on 3 month anti biotic and Soolantra cream Rosacea Treatment: Soolantra® (ivermectin) Topical Cream which really helped to get it under control, and I still apply cream at night after cleansing if I see redness appears.

After alot of trial and errors - I simplified everything and just use following which seem to be working for me ...

Rosaliac Make-Up Remover Gel | Face Care | La Roche-Posay

Rosatrine – Citrine Healthcare Ltd ( I really like this and really good for the price - Irish made as well better than the Rosaliac Moisturizer )

Rosaliac CC Cream | Face Care | La Roche-Posay ( this is really nice for a light day time foundation !)

hope this helps !

Thank you all for your responses. I'm beginning to wonder if I have rosacea at all. The tingling on my left cheek has stopped and my main issues are a red tip of nose and the sides, where nose meets face if you get me.

Oddly enough my forehead is has the tolerance of armadillo skin and the right side of my face is fairly resilient as well.

I too use a prescribed Ivermectin on the nose area and it hasn't changed or improved the redness. Anything I apply there pills or flakes or won't absorb.

My SPF isn't great either due to the white cast it leaves. I use Elta MD Pure. I also have an Elave SPF which doesn't leave a cast but pills.

I'm hesitant to return to retinols and other anti aging serums so I use Augustinus Bader Rich Cream. It's supposed to be a one stop shop and I love it.

When I wear makeup I use La Roche Posay Toleraine cleanser. It's just ok because it leaves a sort of film on my skin after.

I have become a bit obsessed with avoiding alcohol as an ingredient and also fragrance. So much of what is advertised as being sensitive skin and rosacea friendly contains one or both of these ingredients.

Even if a product works for me and I like it I'll stop using it if there is alcohol or fragrance in it. Probably because I think it will be doing silent damage or something mad like that.

How are you all with using those two ingredients?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭tvjunki

I got a peel a few years ago and it was not the best for my skin. Did not realise what damage it would cause. Since then I had burning tingling feeling on my skin and I reacted to certain creams and cleansers. Make up would not well and my skin felt it was on fire. I had destroyed my skin.

I started to use La Roche Posay but did not help.

I went to a beautician and she recommended said I needed to rebuild my skin layers. Takes 3 months plus. She recommended Dibi Milano youth extreme cleanser. I put on wet skin use a muslin cloth to remove. I cleanse twice.

Then use defence solution range. So cooling and calming. I use soothing and redness cream in the morning and at night repairing repair and moisturising cream. I put spf on. Then make up. Big difference in skin.

Now everyone is different but that worked for me. Skin not a red or sensitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Be careful using anti biotics such as doxycycline or tetracycline to treat rosacea or adult acne. Minocyline worked great for me. I took it for 3 months in 2021. However i developed oral thrush from using it. Still havent been been able to get my gut health back to normal. The side effects arent great.

Advertisement