Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone offering 2000Mbps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

Ooh - can that keep up? I might return the SFP and get this instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

I've an EchoLife HN8250Ts connected to a switch currently, I'm wondering if I go for 2gbps do I need a switch with a 10Gbps uplink or will it rate adapt to 2.5.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

You going to need a Switch that has a 10gig port by the looks of it. The Port on that ONT does 10g or 1g

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Gunner3629

You probably need a 10G switch as 2.5GBase-T is relatively new and many nic’s wont negotiate to it. If we look at the tech specs for HN8250Ts we don’t see 2.5Gbps, we only see the below, so highly unlikely to negotiate at 2.5G meaning it’ll revert to 1Gbps most likely if your switch is 2.5G max.

10 GE: Auto-adaptive 100 Mbit/s, 1000 Mbit/s, or 10,000 Mbit/s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

• Advertisement

I got the 1gig service installed about two years ago and that's what was provided. I also got the gigabit modem thing but the older version. As far as I know I strictly speaking don't need that and can plug directly into the ont (is that the right term? There's a separate box where the outside fibre terminates). I'm going to go with https://dongknows.com/zyxel-xgs1250-12-multi-gigabit-switch-review as my switch. Current plan is 10Gbps from the hall back to the utility, with 10Gbps upstairs and 10Gbps to the media centre. I now need a wifi router that has a minimum of 2.5Gbps ports. Sourcing multigig network equipment is challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

I'm surprised that the XGS-PON ONT the Siro are providing is not multi-gig capable. It's a bit rich expecting interested parties to have 10gbe equipment on the LAN side when they're likely be at least 5-6 years before it's needed. The NBI ONT supports multi-gig (thankfully)

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭lotas

should do... Quad-core Celeron at 2Gz should beat out most ARM chips in most standard routers... and then PFsense or OpnSense is highly tuned for routing too...

In fairness it was a 1 gig package I bought and all the marketing is about getting super fast WiFi. I think I'm in a niche. I'm wondering if I need the gigabox at all though given I have this ONS or if the new gigabox with wifi 6 is meant to connect directly to the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

Reading now about it - looks great to be honest, will see how I get on with the Gigabox+ but I think this is on the shopping list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭lotas

After about 15 goes I've managed to order 2 Gbps from Vodafone. They say an engineer is needed, not sure why as I already have Fibre. Maybe I'm getting SIRO as opposed to openeir? Once I have it all installed I'll be able to have a better understanding of what needed regarding switches and routers.

Installed this morning and connected to my UDMPRO. Getting consistent enough speeds to my laptop.

I did connect to the Gigabox+ to give it a try and got 1,489Down and 193up to my S21 Ultra.

Post edited by LoGiE on

Its not clear how a RJ45 connector can be used unless they have the wrong picture up. Shouldn't it look more like this if its to accept RJ45.

Sercomm website:

https://www.sercomm.com/contpage.aspx?langid=1&type=prod3&L1id=2&L2id=2&L3id=6&Prodid=1178

Also, as per below port 3 is 10/GE (rj45). Why not connect SFP port to ONT and use the 10GE (rj45) to a 10Gig switch and run your devices off that.

It says 10GBase-T so it's going to be ethernet. I had a quick look at the Vodafone modem UI in expert mode and there's no obvious way to set it to bridge mode it someone wanted to do that. I don't have a sercomm SFP and I doubt the spare Unifi one I have will work to test.

Basically, post install, the ONT is plugged into the 10g ethernet port (3) meaning that you would need to use the 10g SFP port (8) to downlink to a 10gig switch. Again, from the interface it's not obvious if the SFP can be configured as a WAN port at all.

For anyone configuring this with a UDMPRO having threat management on and with everything set to high there seems to be a small impact. Will keep testing this.

Document suggest you can use the SFP but there must be a settings change as you mentioned isn't there.

Ok, so it did detect my unifi SFP but again not obvious what to do next or if it's treated as a regular LAN port. The UI is pretty much locked down, you can't configure VLANs, PPOE details, bridge etc as far as i can tell. Just the usual Wifi and local LAN (subnet/dhcp) stuff.

As a stand alone unit it does seem pretty solid for someone without their own kit. As I said in my other post I got almost 1.5g over WIFI ax to my phone kneeling down beside the router. If you get a 2.5 -> 10g switch working off the the 10g WAN/LAN or 10g SFP I suspect you would get good results.

There must be a super secret user to get to all the good stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

well if SFP recognized - can you hook up any device and see if it works?

So little info about this unit you could try any generic VF credentials they had for admin acces(like root / 123456) or i guess call VF and ask.

if not mistaking, first gigabox had "expert mode" - is this available option in GUI?

few screanshots of interface would be nice. thanks

Yep, checked the SFP, it works and connects at 10g. So that would free up the other 10g Ethernet port (port 5)

Here's Basic Mode.

Expert Mode

• Advertisement

Don't know what the relevance of this is just yet, but using the Gigabox+ my WAN IP is  93.107.xx.xx and with my UDMPRO its 109.76.xx.xx

Using the usual vodafone@vodafone.ie username and password for PPPoE on the UDM with VLAN 10 tagged.

It might not mean anything.

Different interface for connection - could well be random

Thanks for images

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I get a different IP every day on Vodafone. They have a few different ranges so that doesn’t look unusual to me.

Yep, could be completely meaningless. Just not my experience with other providers.

Anyone know the difference between using vodafone@vodafone.ie over [your-router-sn]@vfieftth.ie for the PPPoE setup? Seems strange to not use PPPoE to identify users/devices. Anyways...

Looking back to images noticed "Split SSID" is available, hope they wont feckit-up with FW update as they did on first gigabox

So lots of rigmarole with this. They tried to convince me they don't need to send me a new modem as the modem I have synced at 2 Gbps.

Absolutely terrible experience trying to order this. It seems they have no process whereby you're trying to upgrade and existing FTTH connection and require just the new modem. My connection is actually OpenEir not Siro.

Vodafone are supplying this to me over OpenEir. If you're planning on making the most of this connection I think you're going to need to use your own kit. Speeds are good up close but drop off pretty quickly. As you can see from above, the kit provided is locked down.

I've a 10Gbps switch on order that should allow me get the most of the connection no? I was already on the 1Gbps connection and got pretty good speeds.

• Advertisement

All set up now. I found that if the SFP+ module is installed I must use it for WAN.

Advertisement