Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone offering 2000Mbps

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

When I tried to order the 2GB package online, it wouldn't let me. I then called and tried to order it over the phone, but they told me that I could only order the 2GB package in-store, which I did.

After reading this thread, I then discovered that you need to order the Sercomm SFP Transceiver separately (at a cost of €75) to avail of the full 2GB speed. 😂

I'm very glad to have super-fast broadband now, but I feel having 2GB is excessive for our needs. I was thinking about downgrading to 1GB. I don't think that's an option until 6 months are up. I also just learned that since I signed the contract in-store, I can't avail of the 14-day cooling-off period, which only applies to purchases made over the phone or online.

Post edited by mfield on

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭kaahooters

for the sfp,

https://www.fs.com/de-en/c/10g-sfp-plus-63 any of theses should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AwayOuttaThat

Just to follow up on this. I called Vodafone about downgrading, and they couldn't have been more helpful. All sorted and downgraded to a more sensible 1Gbps including the discount for the first six months. The 2Gbps can wait for a few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mildsteel

I know I’m probably going of track here but can you tell me if you have a 1Gig Vodafone broadband is it wifi6 ? I got rid of the gigabox and swapped it for a Synology WRX 560 but it’s only showing Wifi4.

• Advertisement

This post earlier in the thread says it Wifi 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Vincean

Hi folks! Just jumping on board here because I'm a little frustrated at this point.

Recently upgraded to the 2000mbps plan with Vodafone as Fibre became available in my area. A technician came out, fit everything and provided us with a Gigabox. We were told to order the SFP and did - but discovered that the SFP provided by Vodafone doesn't work, and our speeds appear to be stuck at around 200 - 300 mbps.

Based on this thread, it looks like we should have been given a Gigabox Plus instead - is that accurate? I'm going to be contacting Vodafone tomorrow for further clarification and to determine if our plan was actually upgraded or not, but would really find that bit of clarity helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Thank you for confirming that! I really wish Vodafone had actually relayed that information when we upgraded, or that the technician had!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭dam099

You need the correct box for 2Gb but may be other issues with your connection if you only get 200/300mbps, are you testing over Wi-Fi or a laptop/desktop wired by Ethernet to the router?

With the older box you should still get 500Mb (if accidently provisioned on lowest profile) or 1Gb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

We would like to switch from Virgin 500mb to Vodafone 500mb when our contract ends in August. Currently our connection comes in via the old UPC coaxial cable beside the TV in the living room. We don't have fibre near the house. Does anyone know if Vodafone will re-use this connector and just send us on a new router/modem, or will they do some of their own work and start drilling holes etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

We've tested both - the 200 / 300 speeds are what I'm getting via a wired connection, while I'm getting closer to 350 - 400 over the wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KubaKLucan

I'm just after calling up Vodafone for them to send me out a gigabox+ and it arrived today. I wanted to put it in between the ONT and my UDMP so that the VF modem can handle all the PPPOE stuff resulting in faster speeds. On the admin panel I don't see an obvious way to turn on bridge mode. Has anyone figured out how to do it yet? I remember when I was with virgin media you had to call them to enable the option on the router. Would this be a similar case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Can you actually get FTTH with any of the other providers? Even if its Vodafone over Virgin Media's wholesale network, this will be via VM's new fibre network rather than their old coaxial network (which you currently have). It will involve running a fibre optic cable from the nearest distribution point, drilling a hole in your wall and terminating the fibre into an ONT which your new router will connect to

If you mean fibre cables to the house? Currently no, all through the VM coaxial as far as I can see (fairly old house). I wonder how vodafone would run a fibre optic cable to the house. But according to Comreg we can get 'Fibre' through anyone using the VM network now, no Eir or Siro.

Advertisement