Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haircut prices

Options
  • 20-05-2022 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Back in 2015 it cost me €10 for a haircut in my local barbershop recently I paid €24. Why has it gone up so much since then that's nearly a 150% increase in the space of 7 years why is it so much now I understand there has been inflation since then but I can't think of anything that has gone up that much in that space of time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭Allinall

You’re using the wrong barber.

Mine is €12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I got a Wahl electric hair trimmer.

Zero cost for each haircut.

Barbers are like the horsebox coffee places, soon to be extinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭passatman86

My last haircut i paid for was for my wedding 12 years ago and cost €10. I use a head shaver now and do my facial hair also once a week or so. Man i come accross cheap - no haircuts or razors + shaving cream in 12 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

In all fairness, if you havent had your hair cut since 2015, it must have been some length, Id be surprised if you weren't charged for disposal of such godly locks.

Also, it hardly went up that price overnight, or was the move from €20 to €24 the straw that broke the camels back, finally pushing you to take to the internet to whinge about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s 25 in my place for wash and cut but it’s comfortable, clean, they take their time, pay max attention to detail, no sense of rushing and are not overly chatty which is always appreciated..

In contrast about 8 years ago I was going to the merchant barber in temple bar which has closed down and paying almost those prices back then for a dry cut… for a mega rushed dry cut… if you ‘had’ to go on a Friday or Saturday you’d be there waiting 40 minutes and then getting charged top dollar for an absolutely average cut that the barber would make no secret of just getting you sat down and sat up again as fast as humanly possible…. NEXT

so it depends on the value, I get mine cut once a month or even every 5 weeks as I wear it longish mostly but I guess wouldn’t be enamoured paying every 10 days a some guys do…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I used to go more often when it was cheaper now I let it grow out more since they started charging more.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Random commentary on ethnicities etc removed as its not helping anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 17,085 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

10 Years ago many barbers were €7 in Dublin. However they were €15/€20 five years before that. You'll find that you are now paying the normal rate While 10 years ago you paid a heavily discounted price.

You'll hear the same comments about tradesmen. "a sure he did it for €40 10 years ago. Now he wants €80!" Again €80 is the real rate & €40 was cash in hand while tradesman was on the dole.

The €10 was Monday-Thursday think it was 14 or 15 on Fridays and Saturdays. Always went midweek to pay less then they got rid of that offer and made it €10 if you went before midday which was less convenient.

I think 15-20 is a fair price for a decent job (which it was pre covid) but anything above is a bit steep. I could go elsewhere but I like the barbershop and anywhere else would involve driving or getting a bus into the city centre whilst the current place I go is in walking distance of my house which I don't think is worth it for a haircut.

It's not that the money kills me but I just found it that the prices have changed so dramatically in a short space of time. I don't see anywhere having midweek deals on anymore.

€20 is average for Dublin. As Mikeybhoy said I think think this is a fair price for such a personal service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

In the recession years many people looked at becoming a barber and there was a proliferation of them and a race to the bottom. €10 is simply uneconomical.

€15-€20 is more the norm now.

Many also operate an appointment system giving 30 minutes, so maximum turnover per barber is €40/hour. Many good barbers will be vat registered, so that's a fiver gone. Add in the costs of rent, rates, utilities, insurance etc and €20 is quite good value

Just be thankful you are not female. €150-€180 is fairly standard for whatever they get done 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

As you get older it wont cost you so much. Some people can even stop going to the barber altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

Around €25 is the going rate for a good barbers now. Anything less is either a bargain or you have to question why

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

All €12 to €15 in town here. And good cuts too.

Yeah I know my point is that it's gone up a lot in the last couple of years. Also noticed some barbers don't charge less for dry cuts anymore which is what I normally get as I don't see the need to get my hair washed in the barbers.

My point is I don't think the price increase reflects the increased overhead costs in the last 7 or 8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

Ya definitely a big increase last few years. Certain places added an extra charge for PPE during Covid and still charge that extra fee now 🙄

€25 is daylight robbery, do you get a happy ending included or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

25 squids? Madness.

Yeah I thought at the time €10 was quite little also if it was below €20 I'd be more inclined to leave a tip whereas above €20 they can forget it. I think somewhere around the €17 mark would be a fair price if it was that I'd probably leave a tip.

The barbers I use is walk ins only they don't do appointments at all which I prefer surely it would be similar to a restaurant try and get people in and out asap as opposed to having people take ages and charge more. 20 mins should be enough for the standard men's cut.

As for women's it's a whole different ball game as it takes far longer than men's hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Some of the more expensive places give you a 'free' beer, no idea how you are supposed to drink it while getting the haircut.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

€15 for mine and I usually leave a €3 tip. I use card, but it seems that you can ask to add on the tip, and it works. It seems like a tough enough job.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's become more explicitly illegal so has died off again.

Paid 26 quid in the city centre in a pinch last week. Won't be doing that again - my local is 18. And that's quite an increase from the 13.50 they used to charge regulars (15 otherwise)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

you used to get a bottle of Rolling Rock in another place i tried… a bit off the beaten track and a very average beer if a decent haircut so I did not make a habit of it….

Thought they were only talking about making that illegal didn't think it was ever officially made illegal. Haven't seen it done in a while mind you. Could only find this rag article from 2018. https://www.thesun.ie/news/3345217/barbers-salons-booze-escape-chop-public-health-alcohol-bill/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They’ve gone of control post covid- mine went from €12 to now €18 in the space of about 18 months. A 50% rise in price for a man’s dry cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭enricoh

25 quid for a dry gents haircut! Fair play to them if they can get enough suckers to pay it. Surely it couldn't take any more than 15 minutes per haircut, someone said 30 minutes- sod that, haven't the patience for that crap!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

local barbers used to charge 13e now they are 15e,

other half started cutting my hair when pandemic started and I think we'll stay doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

My local is now 16e. Up from 13.

I get my wife to do it now . She's since done a barbering course and the cuts have improved.

• Advertisement

She has as much training as most modern barbers unfortunately

Advertisement