Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The employment crisis in the hospitality sector.

15678911»

Comments

Christ, having worked in it and experienced those demands, what does anyone need to do to have a clue? My kids have all worked in retail/hospitality part time over the past 10 years, maybe you are more of a snowflake than I/my kids are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Definitely no snow flake, and I definitely don't profess to make silly comments about issues that I know nothing about.

Hospitality not physically or mentally demanding, it's a very demanding stressful job for siht pay. And anyone who does it deserves alot more respect and better benefits.

Everyone deserves respect, the opinion of someone who makes out that a job is more difficult or stressful than it is, does not. The vast majority of the unskilled jobs in hospitality involve nothing more than simple repetition and the ability to do physical labour like carrying plates, cleaning glasses, pulling pints, changing linen etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Steady on now, Teenagers , Students play a roll in the Hospitality sector an important roll, I've employed many but the Roll they play is specific and to an extent does not require much skill, other than common sense and an ability to engage with customer's.

The crisis with Hospitality recruitment is not the availability of Students it the chronic shortage of experienced and qualified staff that have far more responsibilities than working a summer or part time Job. Whilst I'm absolutely not doubting part time staff are also abused , they can walk away or don't have to endure 50 to 80 hours of crap.

It's already abundantly clear , Hotels, Restaurants and Bars are operating with unskilled and disinterested staff due to crisis and have failed miserably to address historical problems within the industry.

I again reiterate the crisis is of the Hospitality sector and its representative bodies on doing and I know for a fact, they sat back during the pandemic having let droves of experienced staff go and had a cunning plan to hire outside Ireland forgetting this time round, no one was coming, no accommodation and their old staff had fecked off for good, never to return.

Who honestly, in their right mind would come to Ireland now, to work in Hospitality.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Mammy and daddy spoiling their children buying them their first car, phone etc. I along with all my friends we had to take out credit Union loans to buy our first car.

Same mammy and daddies on social media ranting and raving about cost of living etc wanting payouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Every one deserves respect is right, but stating that someone's job is not physically demanding and not very mentally demanding and you need little or no skills to do it does not sound very respectful to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Perhaps just the People you know.

There have always been crap jobs and starting out is always tough and in general the employment protections get better not worse over time.

There have always been people who will work their butt of and those that won't. Every generation like to think their generation is "special" case. It isn't.

Problem for hospitality it can't compete with other jobs for pay and conditions. It's always the first industry to suffer any economic shocks when it comes to staff or being viable.

Always been the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

On a lighter note, I'd hire this waitress instantly, fantastic , obnoxious customer service Skills 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

In general? After the 2008 collapse employers like restaurants were putting jobs on jobsbridge. Zero hour contracts were introduced. One of the few business types that bounced back quickly was "casual dining" and they were all over the zero hour contracts and paid less than minimum wage. When it is an employer's market and they have the leverage they make it stick. It is now an employee's market. Time to make it stick. Sick pay for full and part time employees is only just coming in this September. People should continue to hold out and get as much as they can.

I'm not entirely what your point is. I thought you were making some generational comment. Seems now its about sticking it to to the man.

Jobridge didn't start till 2011 and Zero hour contracts are covered by 1997 act and 2018. Jobridge was undermined by employers abusing it, but it was a flawed scheme and was dropped in 2016.

Hopefully this is ok, but I read somewhere recently that now is a good time to apply for springboard courses that begin in September as they are currently open for applications.

I might apply for one as I'm looking to upskill and perhaps move on to something better outside hospitality industry. I'm sick of not knowing what hours I'm working week to week and only being told at last minute what my shifts are on the rotor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Could we resurrect this thread? Trying to find somewhere for a few nights away in Ireland within the next few months for 3 nights, basic enough places coming in at over €1k, even midweek.

I priced up the canaries for an extra few hundred for 9 nights (including flights), I know where we’ll be going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

I haven't seen split **** in donkeys years, they just double shifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

Having worked in hotels for 2 decades, and nearly 12 years in my current one.

I can say the below.

You got your basic pay of 15.50ph 42-45hrs pw, tips averaging about 300 a week.

Didn't have to buy lunches/dinner as the chef cooked more or less what I wanted, decent coffee too. Which I really missed during COVID. An expense I wasn't use to.

Had weekends off if I booked them, but usually preferred quiet days off, as it was also cheaper if I went away for a night or 2.

5 weeks holiday a year.

Friends and family rate for bedrooms.

Decent gym membership and pool.

Some nights were late if there was a decent event on, but usually only Friday Saturday, but the events were good craic and we didn't have a residents bar. I tend to avoid a hotel that does.

Regulars were good craic, they would do anything for you when you get to know them, you then have loads of contacts in all sorts, and the the staff I've met over the years always good craic.

Didn't have to go to work during the rush hours either, and can do things in the mid morning when everyone is in work.

But, every year over the last decade, it was less and less Irish CVS,

Failure Ireland training never reopened after recession, so a lot of stamp 2 staff had to be always trained from scratch because what was on their CVS was Disney.

I knew so many staff who were in the industry for years who returned back to their countries after the 2nd lockdown. We lost so many decent staff at the end of 2020, some moved to non hotel work, but it was a lot of people returning home for us.

I generally haven't had a bad hotel that I've worked in. But I always chose a hotel that had a good rep. Never had my wages not paid either and if I was every stuck, could get a sub until payday.

I like to problem solve on my feet, make peoples events go to plan and meet new people constantly.

People can be difficult, but if you have the gift of the gab and be yourself, you can turn any issue around.

Ive always work in Boutique hotels, and in a 5 star, so my experience is probably different to others.

There is progression in the descent hotels and if you're in a decent one and depending on the position, and how good you are, you can command a decent salary. I actually enjoy going into work.

Not all hotels are shite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement