Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary solution stones or deck

Options
  • 20-05-2022 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Moved into old house with nice big garden, both house and garden need plenty of work. Will knock small kitchen extension at some stage in future and do a proper 40m job but for the foreseeable (next 2 years) I need to sort out the immediate area outside back door before the lawn

Currently it's a slight slope(4inch) mix of broken and cracked concrete that is a tripping hazard, two drains(one closed and one with an old round 300m grate that needs replacing.

I'm thinking of getting in a few tonne of stone and covering it all, rising thr drain for access etc. This seems like it will cost approx 300e for stones and drain fittings and I can do myself.

Other option is a deck which I got priced in around 2.5k but that will be ripped up in two years.

Any other option I am missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you go for stone get limestone chips (I got them for 30 a tonne), used 30 tonne on an area about 230sq m. it needed a lot of depth in places. Put half down, roller thoroughly, put the rest down, level and roll again. Excellent surface.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Ikea outdoor tiles maybe?

I had a square of concrete, powerhosed it, got the porcelain tiles from ikea, laid it all on a saturday morning, still there a year later looking fab.

Before:

After:

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

That looks great.

Unfortunately mine is not level at all and on a slope of about 4 inch so feels like something like ikea outdoor tile may be beyond me.

Advertisement