Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help on buying a cheap sec hand car

• 20-05-2022 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey everyone,

To get around and to the workplace and training center, I am looking for a cheap second hand car so that I could use it for a daily commute of about 100KM/day.

I am considering spending no more than 2K as most likely I will have to sell this car for 500-1000 once I move out.

Looking for a reliable car with a millage of no more than 150000-160000KM, year 2009 upwards, recent time belt and pump replacement with cheap road tax, insurance, and maintenance costs in Ireland.

Any suggestions? and are there any services here that find a car with your preferences, check the technical condition, and bargain with the seller as your representative in return for a fee?

Thank you!

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

I think you'll get a shock when you find there is little to no 2009+ cars with 150k km max, with recent major services done for less than €2000. Honestly the closest thing I can recommend for the money would be a mid 00s petrol Toyota, but you'll be going back in the years a bit for the budget/ milage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭gipi

Before you buy anything, make sure you can get insurance for the car. Some insurance companies refuse to quote for "older" cars (which can be from 10 years +).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Used car values are very high here. Unfortunately 2k doesn't get you much within that criteria as it did a few years ago. The Bangernomics thread used to be the first point of contact for these type of requests but because of the state of the used car market that thread has gone very quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Sadly all the criteria you’ve mentioned pushes up the budget,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

My 12 insignia now has 340k and I’m aiming for 500k , it’s probably only worth 2k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Second hand market is **** to pieces in uk

we are stuck in with the right hand mob while the rest of Europe etc are not seeing as big of an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Great ain't it. No ****, cheap, dangerous British cars on our roads anymore.

We have to sort our own market and should not be relying on the UK or Japan for second hand cars.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The amount of dodgy motors landed into Ireland over the years was incredible.

Ms

Yes exactly. I have heard the Jap motors are well looked after but would still not put me or my family in one. For all you know they could have been in a big crash and badly rebuilt or worse still a cut and shut.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Personally I don't cut corners on safety in cars. It's not I am a dangerous driver but the road is full of nut jobs to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Ms

Because they could have been wrote off as the investigation on Prime Time showed on RTE not so long ago or the could be cut and shuts.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

And what about all the original Irish cars out there previously damaged/repaired or wrote off? We know **** all about them because there is no data made available. An Irish car could be a cut and shut too and we would never know because Irish insurance companies either don't have a record of it or don't make it available. The only reason we hear about UK imports from the likes of RTE Prime Time was because there was a paper trail of information on it from the UK, conviently supplied by the history check company who featured on the program.

If you think the same thing might not happen to an Irish used car then your very gullable.

Also what about the dealers here selling such cut and shuts? RTE Prime Time didn't exactly go chase them to determin why they were selling them here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

One of the problems is that while you can see pretty easily from doing a simple car history check on a UK or Japanese import you can't do this on an Irish car so while the Irish car may be 3 cars welded together there will be no official record of such.

The UK and to a lesser degree the Japanese imports filled a large gap here when the new car market tanked during 2008-2010 and so there wasn't enough used cars hitting the market to allow people move up the foodchain when trading in their car, particularly in the 3-5 year category.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Oops!

It's all about consumer population.... We are a small rock on the corner of Europe and in the minority around the world driving RHD cars. I see everyday the state of UK cars that have been imported here due to lack of the sale of new cars here, corrosion, clocked, dodgy regs, cloned cars.... Uk auctions full of stuff that ends up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭User1998

Talk about being brain washed. RTE and its sponsor Motorcheck obviously did a great job. Crashed cars represent a tiny percentage of imports. Do Irish cars not get crashed too?

I’ve said this before and it still stands true. The only people who avoid UK imports are those who haven’t a clue about cars.

Ms

Yes of course Irish cars get crashed too.

That's Mostly everyone now so except some dealers since Brexit happened.

There is no deals to be got now buying from the UK so it can work out more expensive buying from there now with all the taxes etc.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

We need to move away from depending on the UK market. End of story. Should have been done 15 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭User1998

Very easy

If we are buying more new cars in Ireland then we could reduce the rates on buying cars. Imports killed the amount of new cars in Ireland. If we stop all imports and are just self sufficient then the government should reduce the taxs as more new cars should mean the same levels.....

• Advertisement

New cars cannot be got and won't be got any time soon because of supply issues. Also new cars have got rediculously expensive and not everyone can afford to go out and buy one. Even the most mundain average new car is costing between 30k or 40k here now. But if new cars were available they would not cover the demand for used cars. There simply isn't enough new cars sold here so the pool of used cars sold here wouldn't cover demand for them. Japanese imports were brought in well before UK imports, again to meet demand. Taking away imports won't fix the demand for used cars here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbolounge

Eventually (and I get that this is probably 15-20 years away) but we won't be talking about importing from UK and Japan because they are RHD. We will be able to import from other EU countries easily because cars won't have steering wheels as they will be autonomous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I would not worry about a UK or Japanese car that I imported, pay a reasonable price get a reasonable car, most auction houses do a good job on inspections, better for them to sort out lemons than have every car tarred with the same brush, it just means less commission on the lemon but more on every other car.

What dealers and other private importers do is entirely different pay a good mechanic to do a inspection.

I would go so far to say about Japanese imports, that cars made for the Japanese market are superior to the stuff they make for other markets.

Advertisement