Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stand your ground when your boss expects you to work another 2-5 hours?

Options
  • 20-05-2022 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I'm a recent college grad. Last summer I worked full time as a waitress in a hotel. It was minimum wage (of course) and the hours were crazy. "Officially" i.e. on the rooster, it would say I was working 8 or 9 hours a day, 5 days a week. Which would be amazing. But I'm expected to do way more than that. The hotel won't hire enough staff. It's extremely rare to leave work on time. I'd say I left within 10 minutes of my shift ending....6 times?

There's this sort of unspoken agreement that we all stay until it's "reasonable" to leave. Basically until it's quiet enough that you aren't leaving your coworkers in total hell. This usually means an extra hour or 2. Or sometimes 4 or 5! Our duty manager will tut and shake his head if someone leaves while it's busy, even if their shift is over. Few of us are that brazen. Today they had me more 13 hours with a 30 minute break on the 4th hour, and that was it. Not even a 10 minute one.My boss asked me to stay another 3 hours when I'd already stayed 2 extra hours out of guilt. I had been planning my escape. I've only been working weekends since summer but now I'm back to full time and I don't think I can't take it. Any more than 45 hours a week is too much. In practice I did 60+ sometimes. How do you just say no? If they even paid time and a half or something I'd shut up but it's just explotation

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Walk out when your shift is over. Don't mind him tutting and shaking his head.

If he starts then tell him you'll see him in court.

Post edited by mfceiling on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I know what I'd be doing

Leave when your shift is over.

No one should have to work more than 48 hours a week.

Any tutting or threats = WRC or just leave. Brush up on your rights.

Hospitality is crying out for people right now, you'll get something else.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/working_week.html#l0abbf

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've somewhere to be. See you tomorrow.

• Administrators Posts: 14,070 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

There's this sort of unspoken agreement that we all stay until it's "reasonable" to leave. Basically until it's quiet enough that you aren't leaving your coworkers in total hell. This usually means an extra hour or 2. Or sometimes 4 or 5

I'd be surprised if all staff adhere to this unspoken agreement. I'd be pretty certain there's a few who put on their coat and walk out when they're done.

The man is exploiting you and using your inexperience and lack of confidence for (incredibly) cheap labour. Walk out. Let your colleagues worry about themselves. But walk out when your shift ends. He's the manager. It's up to him to roster enough staff.

It's not the only job either. If you're not confident enough to walk out when your shift ends, then find another job.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Advertisement

Moved from Personal Issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Why would they hire more staff while youre supporting them in this unspoken agreement?

Let him tutt away or ask for a big overtime rate or leave at your allocated time.

Companies can't get staff at the moment. Is it difficult to find a similar or better job that would suit you.?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 OptiPlus

It is madness to work like this when every single hotel in the country is looking for staff. Just leave when your shift is over and if everyone else does too management will be forced to hire more people and possibly increase wages to get people in or pay overtime to current staff if they can't find additional people. Absolutely let the guy tut as you walk out the door. Maybe you could tell us why you stay when you could find a job elsewhere within hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭rn

For your own health you need to leave that place. Retrospectively there's a serious breach of the law here. But someone would need to take it, along with evidence..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I worked in a hotel during college and I used to do 35-40 hours bar work between Friday and Sunday most weeks. £5 an hour in the late 90s

It meant i always had cash in my pocket for boozicles in the week 😁😁🍺😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

You are covering up a resource shortfall, why would an employer get additional staff if the current crop cover it for free?

"I can't".

No need for 'planning your escape' or feeling guilty. Coat on at end of shift and "I can't" if asked to stay on.

You are inexperienced, naive and lacking confidence - and the manager knows that and uses it to their advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What happened when you looked for a job somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Don't let the companies problems become your problem.

They won't roster you for the hours they need as they will then be required to give you your statutory breaks.

By keeping you working after your shift they can try to deny that they knew you were working so long and should have received a break.

When shift ends put on your jacket and go. If anything is said or if you are asked to stay just reply that you have plans.

It's your managers job to make a workable roster if he can't manage that he shouldn't be a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

This is highly unfair and taking advantage.

You should like others have said just gather up when your time is done and clock out or leave. Your day is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

How they staff the business is their issue not yours. Leave work. Simply pop your coat on and leave. If it makes you more comfortable say someone is waiting for you, you have an app.

What I would also be doing is keeping record of the hours you worked and breaks etc

Is it any wonder they cant keep staff

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Are they paying you for those extra hours? If not, they are in serious trouble! Been in that scenario and takes a while to build up the confidence and just leave but once you do it a few times it becomes easy.

Also, they are so stuck for people that you need to realise you have the power here because they are not willing to hire others. You have all the experience which makes you invaluable to them! Pretty sure you could get more money from them because of the shortage of staff too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fishersham

I still get paid as I don't clock out until I'm finished, but it's still minimum wage so frankly, it's not worth it.

Thanks guys. I've applied for a few through Indeed this morning. Until I get something, I'm going to be firm and just say "my shift is over" if challenged. It's not my fault they won't hire more staff or pay current staff overtime.

And they wonder why people most people leave within a month

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Get a better job. It's simple as that.

You're actually working for less than minimum wage when you add your free hours to your paid hours.

Getting free work is ready. Getting paid to do work is the hard part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭dennyk

Just leave at the end of your shift, and if your manager asks you to stay longer, say "Sorry, I can't." Don't tell them why you can't, even if they ask; they don't actually care, they just want to know the reason so that they can argue that it isn't more important than work and try to guilt you into staying. "I have other commitments." is a full sentence; your boss doesn't need to know anything further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

They can't get staff, they need you more than you need them. What are they going to do fire you and be a person down. Tell them you aren't available to work extra hours all the time, if they want you to work extra hours the first 3 hours are time and a half, double after that and on Sunday / BK weekends. If they don't like it say OK thanks for the valuable life lesson I'm off. You will walk into a better job. Know your value.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Set up an appointment you have to keep.

Advertisement