Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A question about the Ethernet switch

Options
  • 21-05-2022 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I was thinking of adding wiring at least 4 Cat 7 Ethernet ports beside every outlet at least one per room, that I could think of where be a need for a wired Internet. Then all of those could be plugged in a Switch somewhere on our attic.

Do you think using a Wall Mounted Ethernet switch, so you don't need to run the whole Device to attic Ethernet cable directly an efficient way to do it? Also will Ethernet ports degrade speeds vs direct Ethernet to Ethernet ports on Switch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Yes the speed will be reduced to that of the uplink from your switch to router. I don't know what this wall mounted switch looks like. The usual way to do this would be to run 1 or 2 cables to a room and if you run out of ports throw in a small 5/8 port switch. Switches waste power (10w+ for a small one) so better not to install too many of them if you don't need them

Btw wrong forum.

Advertisement