Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Doors? (Automatic For The Pop Hole)

Options
  • 21-05-2022 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

D'ye like that? It's all straight off the cuff, with me! 😁

Been googling these automatic doors till my eyers are bleeding! " Chicken Guard " looks decent. What's the Real people think, please?

Mains power seems unlikely. Certainly not quickly. Batteries are fine by me. I use a Lot of batteries.

Dusk and dawn would be alright. My birds will live in Leitrim, during the day. Get locked up at night. Coop in a cage, see? So, a door opening at 5am to let them into their cage will be fine. I'll come and let them out onto the land when ever I'm good and ready.

Let's have some real life experiences. The longer running and more up to date the better 👍️

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Stigura

😐️

Omlet? Reassuringly expensive. Though, dare we suggest the 'reviews' have something of the slurry about them?

Ticks all the boxes, on the surface though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’ve been using the Hentronix automatic door. It’s pretty reliable though I’m using solar power to charge the battery and Jan/Feb can be hit and miss.

Trust me; I'm working my nuts off on all this, behind the scenes! 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If it’s a toss between buying an automatic door and electric fencing to protect your chickens. I’d go for fencing.

Ahh, see; They're to live in a wooden box, with the auto door. But, that box is to be inside a steel cage. Not even a rat could get inside the cage (Trust me on this) And the door is so they can get out and stretch their bits, regardless of what time I decide to start moving.

Once I do appear? Plan is to open the cage. Then, they'll have to take their chances, running around the meadow. I'll lock them up again, at night. The auto door at least giving me some lea way.

As per my other thread, on here; This is all part of my longer term plan to get Guinea Fowl free ranging about the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I am going to put a linear actuator on mine when it's finished. Whip up something with a small micro controller

179e is insane

😁 😁 😁 I'm bouncing off the walls here! Just *Got To* tell Someone this! 😁

The time, money and effort I've put into this thing is right off the charts. But, I now have my chicken box. Just now, I was out there, sitting in the big, access gate. I've put their Omlet door on and was messing around, plugging in the control box and what have ye. No idea ~ yet ~ what it all means, as I haven't read the instructions yet.

But, as I'm sitting there, legs dangling. Concentrating on some screws; There's a quiet whirring, humming sound from beside me! The bloody door's Closed itself! 😄 I'm absolutely freaked! Staring at it, praying; " Please don't open again! (Meaning I'd have fitted it badly!) But, nope. Good as gold!

I'm So Happy! 😂

Advertisement