Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does my neighbour need planning permission?

Options
  • 22-05-2022 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I live in the outskirts of a rural village. My next door neighbour runs a minibus business (about a dozen busses, some larger up to about 30 seats). He has a few medium sized garages and the busses are parked outside. He also owns the field between our two properties, and the land immediately behind of and in front of my house. Once he initially bought the garage(s) he immediately expanded the parking area into the green field site, adding an additional area around 30 x 100 feet for bus parking. He also enlarged the (shared) entrance significantly, and there’s substantial traffic and disruption there due to the busses and other large vehicles that he uses.

My question is whether development like this would be subject to planning permission (I’m certain none was obtained). My suspicion is that he may expand further in the future, and given he owns the land on three sides of my house, this would cause huge issues in terms of house value and just aesthetics. There is a very picturesque view in front of my house that could be ruined.

Any insight would be appreciated, as I can’t find a straightforward answer online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

It quite likely would. How long has it been used for this purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭PostHack

That extended parking area was added almost four years ago.

I also forgot to add that there are another two residents on the shared laneway that are affected. It also is a safety hazard due to the volume of vehicles that are coming in and out. There’s no defined footpath or anything like that (we have to walk/drive through an active yard).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you contact your Planning office and put in a complaint/query you can do it anonymously and they have an obligation to investigate.

You can easily check what his planning permission allows by going onto your local planning authority site and searching for the address, or look at the map (you usually have to zoom in a good bit to see the planning permission applications).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

There is also the question of contaminated water run off.

Mind you if an enforcement order is issued it won't mean an instant fix.

Advertisement