Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Replacing Flash Immermat Boiler Timer & Myson Zone Valves with something digital & better

Options
  • 22-05-2022 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on firstly replacing our malfunctioning Flash Immermat switch & the two manual zone valve control switches next to it (see pics below) with something digital, that would ideally be a straight swap & fix over the existing backplate or at least cover the hole.

The up/down switches are literally upstairs/ downstairs zones. When both are off just the hot water cylinder is heated when the boiler comes on.

Water temperature is controlled at the boiler with a thermostat.

It would be nice to have a little more flexibility with a digital timer, as in holiday setting, week days & weekends etc. but not overly fussed as have lived with this very simple system for many years now without too much issue.

The current issue is that the clock mechanism is worn I think & is randomly sticking so the clock stops functioning. A quick tap was sorting it but that too is now failing! So think it's time to either strip it & have a look inside first & most likely then replace it.

Secondly I'd love to fix the motorised valve issue. I've replaced them both over a few years & end up with the same issue that after a couple of years they malfunction & begin to buzz! This seems to be a standard situation from what I have managed to establish due to the permanent "on" nature of the valves! I currently have them both with the motors removed & have to run upstairs to manually turn the valves whenever I want the zones on or off! Quite a PITA to be honest!

There must be a better solution than these type of motorized valves?

Our upstairs heating tends to be off from May to October so this valve generally lasts longer. Downstairs is obviously on most of the winter & on & off during the summer.

Thanks in advance

On doing a quick Google search I'm wondering if perhaps one of these might do the job?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The traditional time clock will certainly do what you need, but a possible alternative that should cost a lot less would be a wifi controllable switch that can operate the 2 switched channels, be used as a time clock, and also controlled from something like a smart phone.

One example, (there are others) is https://shop.shelly.cloud/shelly-plus-2pm-wifi-smart-home-automation, and there are alternatives from a number of home automation control systems.

There is also a wifi accessible version of the time clock that you posted, but it's a lot more expensive than some of the other options.

In theory, you should be able to get a grant from SEAI to upgrade the system you have there, which would also add a thermostat to the water tank, and provide a better control fo the boiler, and possibly reduce the fuel consumption, which with prices going the way they are is certainly worth looking at.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

The Eph is an excellent solution. The ember pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have the three zone ember pack myself & have to agree with you. Works well with google & Alexa too

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Myles45

OK Thanks all & apologies for the delayed response, I didn't realise I'd had some replies!

Anyway, Steve, I think I get that. I presume there is some software with the wifi switches that you can set the timing that they switch on & off? Seems fairly simple I think!

Do you think it would make much difference having the thermostat on the water tank rather than the boiler? Surely the water temp would be the same at either point?

We've never had any form of other stats either on radiators or rooms as we tend to always live with most of the doors in the house always open so would be fairly pointless. It's probably not ideal but I don't see us ever changing that.

I might well look into the heating control upgrade grants out of interest but don't think we'd benefit a huge amount from it. I'm fairly tight with heating to be honest despite working from home!:) Generally only have heating on twice a day for around an 45 mins to an hour unless it's very cold or once in warmer months or just for water in summer.

We'd benefit most from upgrading from boiler to heat pump I think but just can't afford that at the moment even with grants!

Do you have any suggestion regarding the motorized valves?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

I'd sort out the zoning and problem valves first anyhow before dealing with controls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Myles45

Hi Kirk,

I don't think we have a problem with zoning? We have two zones + hot water. This works fine for us. We do need to replace the valves as I am currently just turning them on & off manually which is a pain but I want to know if there is a good alternative to the usual motorized valves which burn out relatively quickly.

I also need to replace the boiler timer switch as again I am now having to manually turn it on & off which is why I'm looking for a potential better alternative to the clockwork timer. I like Irish Steve's suggestion but it's just occurred to me that they would only actuate the valves I think & not the boiler, but I may be mistaken in that?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

It's at least not fully functional there you're controlling the h/w water temperature at the boiler , may not be plumbed for independent zones properly

Plumbing and zoning is the first priority before controls

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

... but it's just occurred to me that they would only actuate the valves I think & not the boiler, but I may be mistaken in that?

As far i can see on my system, timer/controller will activate motorized actuators as per zone(s) required/set, in turn, motorized actuators will activate boiler, boiler and/or cylinder termostats will activate/deactivate boiler as per temp settings.

Manually turning motorized actuators ON(open) will overwrite timer/controller settings, only termostats will be turning boiler ON/OFF

But yeah, plumbing part need to be corresponding to be controlled

For last 10+years have sunvic heads and controller - old, but still same original and working

Advertisement