Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping neighborhood cat away from napeta

Options
  • 22-05-2022 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Neighborhood cat seems to love nibbling and loves rolling over a few planted Napeta Walker Low .

Any tricks on keeping them away which have worked for others ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I'm not sure you can keep a cat away from catnip, they absolutely love it!

Perhaps a physical barrier? Something like a Perspex fence, or chicken wire!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Nepeta is catmint isn't it? Good luck with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Sprinkle chilli powder on/around it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Freshly ground pepper every two days?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

LOL, I'm sure one day we'll get a question on how to keep bees off the flowers ;-) Although I did have to "spray" a shrub outside a window once to get rid of the bees to keep a tennant happy - made a big deal of it putting on full PPE, white overalls wellies respirator and then sprayed the shrub (cotoneaster horizontalis in full flower) liberally with water. It made no difference whatsoever but the woman was delighted and even wrote a letter of thanks to head office :-)

Anyway back to how to keep a cat off a plant that is known to attract cats. Don't is the answer but as you don't want your plant damaged by the cat rolling in it plant another. Treat one with something like pepper as suggested by 10-10-20 or any of the things cats don't like and leave the cat to roll in the other. Some cats are so attracted to catnip I don't think anything will keep them off but might if given a choice of one with something they don't like and an unadulterated plant. On the other hand we have had some cats that totally ignore catnip.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Recently bought a battery powered, motion activated sprinkler in Mr Price.

Seems to work quite well..

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Cats have an aversion to citrus and bananas.

So a few banana skins & some orange peel may work.

For orange peel ask your local lidl store as they will have plenty of peels from their juice machine

Another option is to either buy or propagate (they are dead easy) a few plants for your neighbor(s cat).

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭galaxy12

Thanks . Will use experiment with pepper mix , banana , citrus peels and see how it goes over the next few days .

We have had loads of the same nepeta in the back garden for years and never had this problem .I guess the new ones just planted in the front are easily accessed by it .

And probably in full sun. Nothing many cats like more than heat and a dose of catnip. In my experience plants in colder, windier spots get ignored in favour of plants in full sun. That said this is a plant that also loves full sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,637 ✭✭✭standardg60

Love that!

I have a long Cotoneaster hedge bordering a lawn and mowing at this time of year is a delight as a cloud of bees alight and descend back behind me

I've no advice for the OP as i've always thought watching a cat loll hypnotically in catmint was one of those free simple pleasures in life

Advertisement