Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reolink 4G camera

• 23-05-2022 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hi all I have recently got a reolink camera and have a vodafone sim activated with data but I keep getting the message data call failed please import apn settings ?

I have created the apn text file and followed the process numerous times to no avail.

Is anyone using their camera with vodafone and if so what APN settings are you using as I am pulling my hair out as I have tested the sim in a mobile broadband dongle etc and is working fine.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Did you ever get this working for yourself? I'm in the same boat here, but the camera was working for 3 months but stopped for no apparent reason. I've swapped sims, closed account and opened a new account, but the camera will not work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I have 2 cameras working for the past year and apart from having to replace one solar they have worked perfectly.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Same here.. Solar needed replacing but otherwise works well..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 itport

@Obskure Right now I finished setting up a camera that was purchased back in 2020 and never used. I had to import the APN on Vodafone România and it worked. Here are my observations:

1. Camera came with a Vodafone sim card that was supposed to work with Vodafone V app/whatever IoT plan, but these are no longer supported. Instead, I used an existing, data only SIM card.
    2. APN is not numeric, but literal. It is in the format of "whatever.vodafone.com or.ro or .ie"
    3. No password is needed, only username
    4. After reset, you hear that tha apn was imported correctly, but immediately after, the same infamous error message about checking data plan or import the apn. Just turn the camera off and back on! This time you will hear NOTHING, meaning no vocal message about the connection successfull and no led will be on, however the camera is properly connected and online, just use the app and scan the qr code.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Got an email that Vodafone are discontinuing the Smart SIM service. Finishes end of July.

I currently use them on the remote cameras.

Anybody use any other smart Sims ?

Edit...A bit of research throws up this one..anyone using it ?

Post edited by 80sDiesel on

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

My vodafone smart sim stopped working other day, took me awhile to figure out issue but vodafone had ended contract. I contacted the person I purchased the camera off at start of year and they advised sim above. I bought it but seems to be rubbish and its website is extremely basic so no help to be found there. It cant connect to camera 99% of time as it's like the speeds seem to be restricted or something along these lines, now it may just be the area I'm leaving in. Very diaspointed as the camera worked very well with vodafone sim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

A Vodafone PAYG phone SIM might work, 5GB / €5 / 28 days or €0.00186 per MB from credit balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

See here...
    https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans/add-ons.html

That is just an add on. You see need the basic 20euro a month.

• Advertisement

Vodafone add-ons can be bought without any active plan, no need to top up by any more than the price of the add-on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

That would be interesting; would find it hard to believe though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭drury..

Its true unless it's recently changed

€5 for a data addon .No plan needed

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

just in case helps at all….I used to have a gate controller in my motor/gearbox for the front gate, it takes a simcard and the idea was you could trigger the gate to do stuff via your mobile. it mysteriously stopped working after 6 months. replaced it, same again?! weird I thought. ended up solving when I dug a little and learned that the simcard gets deactivated (by that particular carrier at least) IF they hadn't seen it making an OUTBOUND call at least once in period of 6 months…I got a 3rd sim and marked a reminder on my calendar to pop the card into a spare handset and make an outbound call every so often and hey presto years of troublefree gate operation.

Vodafone add-ons can be bought without any active plan, no need to top up by any more than the price of the add-on.

Cheers. If that works that would be a perfect replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭drury..

They bumped up the data to 5GB for 5 euro , used to be 1GB

I don't think they cut you off for not making calls . Think it's only if you don't topup .

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

Just to round back on this. The EIOTCLUB sim came with 7 days data once that ran out and it started using a 30 day plan I bought the speeds are way better. The camera doesn't work as good as before with the vodafone sim but it's back working atleast.

Advertisement