Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu 20.04

Options
  • 23-05-2022 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

When logging into ubuntu 20.04 through Virtual Machine I get a black frozen screen. Tried a lot of articles published on the web but in vain. Please any idea of how to fix that as do not want to loose my up and running Hadoop HDFS and other stuff.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

What hypervisor and what Ubuntu desktop (Mate, XFCE?)

It can be caused by update if update was done. Have you made any snapshots by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Joe_McGrain

Hi,

Unfortunately cannot log in or even use terminal by pressing ctrl+alt+f5 to check which ubuntu desktop and also no snapshots were taken. Yes an update was done but there should be a solution for this problem! Thank you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

have your tried to ssh into it?

@maccored No . the only procedure that works, but not always is "nomodeset". Sometimes allows me to login but when logout and login again I encounter thee same problem. Is there any available article to guid me of how to ssh into it? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Btrfs

Hey there Joe_McGrain. It looks like your drivers are fighting each other :)

Also, BEFORE doing the steps which I will provide you, could you please tell me which kind of Virtualization software are you using ? Thank you :) ( If using VBox - do you have Guest-Additions installed ?! )

I will start with a small solution for you and the "nomodeset" situation which, as I read above, haven't been done permanently.

!!! FOR NVIDIA / NOUVEAU ONLY !!!

In order to make it so, you need to navigate to :

/etc/default/grub - using nano or vi with sudo / su privs. ofc

#When you open up the file, you'd want to do the following :

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nouveau.modeset=0"

After making and saving these changes :

sudo update-grub

reboot ( just in case )

In the case where our beloved "friends" from nvidia are "arguing" with nouveau, do the following :

#if the folder is not present

sudo mkdir /etc/modprobe.d

echo "blacklist nouveau" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Again, this is a solution for nVidia vs Nouveau ONLY !!!!

• Advertisement

@Btrfs Thank you so much! using Virtual Box installed on MacBook Pro. I think Guest-Additions is installed as shown in the photo attached. So can I go on with your solution then!

Advertisement