Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem for Sky Broadband

Options
  • 23-05-2022 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm in the process off moving to Sky Broadband 1 GB Ultrafast from Virgin Media. I currently have an EERO Pro Mesh system in the house which also does the routing (I have the Virgin Media Hub in modem mode).

I will not be able to put the Sky Hub in modem mode (or bridge it). I would like to use a third-party modem (or bridged modem/router) if possible instead of messing around with double NAT (eventhough it could be okay).

Could anyone recommend a third part modem (modem/router) that works well with Sky broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

You should not need a modem, with FTTH you scan plug your Eero directly into the ONT (you will need the Sky username and password, if you search here there are likely instructions on how to ascertain them). You will also need to tag VLAN as 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Cheers. That makes if a lot easier and cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 icantfindaname11

when I was with Sky Siro, I tried to use my Asus router, which connected and worked fine, but I had constant disconnection issues, which made my set up unusable, and I had to switch back to Sky router. that made me think that Sky didn't support 3rd party routers.

I am now with Vodafone Siro, using my Asus router no problems whatsoever, works perfectly fine since I switched.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Discovered my EERO Pro router doesn't support PPPOE. It's only the newer EERO 6 range that does. So just plugged the EERO into the back of the Sky Hub and works fine. No double NAT issues, yet! Just turned off the WiFi on the Sky Hub. Not ideal but didn't have to change any settings in the EERO router.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭in2dark

I also just moved from virgin to sky 500 siro.

I have an old linksys ea6900 as my router. I just plugged it in the sky router and bang, all working. All i did was to disable the wifi from sky.

My only problem is that with this router the max speed i can get on wireless is 160 down and on the wire 200 down...

Im using cat 6 cables and still no 500...

I tried the sky modem and i can see 500 on the wire and 400 on the wifi.

Im thinking of buying a new descent router that can support 500 or 1000 if i move to the gigabit connection

Any suggestions? Is the tplink ax5400 any good?

My Linksys never got me disconnected the last 4 years i had it with virgin. I only want to replace it because im paying for 500 and not getting it.

Appreciate any tip. (Dont want to spend loads of money)

Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement