Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stock photos

• 23-05-2022 8:31pm

i was reading about stock photos and some sites that you can upload to. recognisable people have to sign a release to be in your photo. But they do not get paid though do they? why would someone sign a release where the photographer gets paid but they don't

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

For shots with a model that the photographer hires, the model gets paid for the shoot, the photographer doesn’t. The photographer gets paid the stock photo royalties, the model doesn’t. Everyone involved knows what they’re getting into before the shoot happens.

I suppose a model could negotiate a cut of the royalties if they wanted, but it would probably mean less (or no) fee for the shoot, and if the photographer didn’t agree to it, then the shoot wouldn’t happen in the first place, at least not with that model.

For some candid pic in the street that a photographer asks the subject of to sign a model release form after it was taken, I’m not sure why anyone would just sign it. I certainly wouldn’t.

I’m sure there’s other scenarios too.

For some candid pic in the street that a photographer asks the subject of to sign a model release form after it was taken, I’m not sure why anyone would just sign it. I certainly wouldn’t.

@ Gregor Samsa Yes that is what i meant. I knew about the model scenario

Thanks for the reply

When there is a photo in the paper of a woman sitting on grass and the caption "mary bloggs from donnybrook enjoying the good weather in phoenix park" that is editorial and no release needed? But the photographer must ask if he knows her name?

Can he shoot without permission and produce a shot with caption "this lady was enjoying the good weather in phoenix park"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My wife's book club were featured in an article in the Irish Times. They were asked to submit a photo, and one of them sent in one that I took. They were all named in the caption, but none of them were asked to sign anything.

Here's one of the "images of the day" from the IT last week. A Group of people, some identifiable, out in public. None are named. Do you think the photographer went out to all those lads after and asked them to sign model release forms? It's editorial use, they're in a public place, he doesn't have to.

The difference with stock photography is that anyone can download and buy a stock photo for any use, including commercial. So the stock agency needs to be sure there's a model release form to cover it. My book club photo or the one below couldn't be used as a commercial photo (legally) if they don't have an MR.

Advertisement