Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭macraignil

Prices for food going up is very different from your previous statement which was "No fertilizer = no crops = no food". The production of chemical fertilisers on an industrial scale can be traced back to the first use of the Haber-Bosch process at that scale in 1913. People still had food before that process was invented and some still produce food today using no chemical fertilisers.

Industrial scale production of food has become very reliant on cheap fuel for the production processes and synthesising chemical fertilisers but the methods to produce food without these inputs are still widely understood. More sustainable methods of food production will have to be applied more widely now that such methods are not being undercut by the machinery and chemical dependant models of main stream agriculture that have kept food prices so low that small scale less mechanised production techniques could not compete.

The Irish farm research body Teagasc I read had one of its directors also sitting on the board of the main chemical fertiliser importer so in my opinion has been late coming to accept that future food production needs to be done with less fossil fuel inputs but this is something that needs to be addressed sooner or later. Farmers are already being encouraged to plant pasture mixes that can be productive without the chemical fertilisers being applied. Personally I can see huge benefits to more people being able to work in less mechanised food production rather than spending their days on digital mode's of employment. Food prices going up may not be such a bad thing on a broader scale for Ireland where there is the capacity to produce much more food than the population needs even without chemical fetilisers. Clearly those on low incomes still need to be protected from severely increased costs of living but on a wider economy scale we still have resources to benefit from price changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

No worries lads, i am sure our great leaders are working on a grand plan about this as well.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Germany at 600 is absolutely bonkers, in August. Going to be very ropey there come winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Had to buy a used car (private sale)last week, jaysus it was like a kick in the nuts, I couldn't negotiate the guy down because rightfully he was already under market price. I could have bought the same vehicle three years ago for the same price. Absolute sickener. They say there will be a wave of repos here in states but the used car market is still a dominant sellers market.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Where lagarde?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

you're not facturing in the world global population increases...what was it in 1913...less than 2 billion! that's why the need for fertilisers to get the most out of any arable land to feed the now almost 8 billion mouths...yes, ireland is fortunate in that we are a net producer of food...however dropping fertiliser here means dropping yields on already tight margins for farmers...how many farmers are willing to take a big drop in income for more work? the push to move everyone into cities and towns where they can no longer grow their few veg or have a few chickens also exacerbates the dependency of populations

over the last couple of decades in europe, farmers were pushed and pushed by the bureaucrats in brussels to get as much out of the land as possible...people were actually penalised and lost subsidies if hedges were growing too far out into their fields or there was pond in the corner as it was a loss of food production area...

now they're being penalised for doing exactly what was asked of them and making such a success of it

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Yeah I think Putin arrives half way through to fix a gas leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I would agree with this, trying to do more biological farming here myself in order to save on chemical fertiliser. We are low intensive part time farming anyway so not a huge amount is used.

My fear is the Vegan brigade. They have no notion of what mono cropping grains can do to a soil, not alone does it live it so open to diseases but also insects and flies too. If they were to get there way we would be mono cropping and in order to stop insect and flies we would be dosing crops in pesticide, herbicides and fungicides.

Fun fact for anyone interest is pesticides, they main agent used in a organophosphate pesticide was developed by a Russian scientist. This is a famous nerve agent called Novichok same one used in the Sailsbury poisonings.

Imagine dosing land in this in order to mone crop for plant based foods. Imaging how brain dead we would be after 30 years eating fulling plant based food.

Food for thought for anybody saying plant based diets are the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭macraignil

I am aware that the world population has increased in that time but still don't agree that chemical fertilisers are needed to produce enough food to feed the current population. A quick internet search gives figures of about 5billion hectares of land under cultivation worldwide. An author well known for advocating sustainable living John Seymour produced instructions for producing all a family would need to live on a cultivated area of 1acre and 5acres in his book "the complete book of self sufficiency" first published in 1976. Each hectare is equal to 2.4acres so if the 5billion hectars already cultivated is used to similar levels of productivity that John Seymour experienced using no chemicals there is not a shortage of land to feed the current population. Recent famins have been down to war, economics and political unrest rather than it being an issue with production. 5billion x 2.4 = 12billion acres which potentially could be enough to feed a lot more people than are currently alive with no chemical fertiliser inputs. Recent population dynmamics have seen trends move towards much more widespread reductions in populations similar to those already experienced in Japan and Germany where people have started to on average have less children as populations get more educated and aware of the benefits of smaller families for the well being of the children they do have.

Dropping fetiliser use may lead to dropping yields particularly if natural methods of increasing land fertility are not applied but this also reduces input costs so may actually increase the profit margin for farmers if they manage their crops to cope with the reduced chemical use.

I agree with you that the push towards making populations more urbanised has been taken too far and things like the locals only planning regulations in force in this country have helped the decline of rural communities and rural economies when for sustainable living I think we need steps to be taken to help create a more vibrant rural economy in future.

I think it is good that the farm regualtions are now pushing more towards ecologically sound and more sustainable practices and would be hopefull that the damage done in the years where hedge rows were seen as an obstacle to productivity can be reversed.

Post edited by macraignil on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, there is a balance required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭Deub

Yes I do. It is a group of people deciding and not one person. Do you think they all work together so they can get as much money/ help their friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

UK....looks like the HP correction is gathering pace.

Banks and surveyors are “down valuing” as many as half of homes in some parts of the country amid fears sharp house price falls are on the horizon.

Home buyers have been left scrambling for cash as lenders have refused to grant mortgages big enough to cover the agreed sales price. Experts said banks were concerned the cost of living crisis would cause the end of the post-pandemic property boom.

Anthony Harris, of Continuum, a financial advice firm which manages over £1.53bn in mortgages and other assets, said: “I am seeing more than 50pc of purchase applications being down valued at present.”

This level is likely to rise further, he added. "Sellers are asking high prices and there always seems to be more than two buyers who are prepared to enter a bit of a bidding war, pushing up prices further. But the lenders’ surveyors are not supporting the prices agreed."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/house-prices/properties-suffer-valuations-banks-fear-house-price-falls/

HP won't fall here as there's thousands sleeping in tents and hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Seriously, how can your English be good sometimes and then deteriorate so fast. Did you read this line back to yourself before posting?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

I'm still learning not using any grammar and books .As old saying says You will never learn if you will not make a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭patnor1011

As far as I know they are being decided about by politicians. Now tell me which politician is expert in his/her respective field. Majority of the EU will not survive without imports from Russia. That is very simple fact.

I am not amazed by the people here talking about how we only need to put on a second jumper and shower less often. Winter here is thankfully not that bad compared to about more than half of the EU. Those countries with harsh winters are going to experience riots and swift regime changes, they are in for something like Sri Lanka experienced recently if they keep this sanctions nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Canadian prices down 20% in places from Feb peak

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

In Soviet Union you don't make mistake, mistake make you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jericho2

Isn't it great to know that we're not stuck on this planet forever? I'm sick of the clowns running this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

What a crazy world we live in that badly needed crops can be left to rot in fields. People starving, other people sitting on their holes, doing nothing, and this kind of **** happens.

So, if Ireland had nobody to pick crops would people on the dole, people going to gyms, people like me typing crap on here, ... Have to go save the harvest ... Or would we just starve ???

Have we really become so useless ?

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Looks like Canada out in front for the global HP correction. NZ will push them hard I reckon.

If not Soviet Union, Ireland would never get cheap and qualified labour.The labour which brought Ireland economy up.

You know why my nick name is Revolution 1917 ? Because this revolution created Soviet Union and changed world completely.Because only this revolution in World history changed the world and world system.

Same as war on Ukraine now creating New Russia and changing world and world system Completely.

We are only one step from nuclear war and Euro zone collapse.

You know,some people think that Europe leaders can find agreement with Putin and there will be business as usual.I don't think so,just because people of Russia will start asking Putin why do you give gas to those who gave weapons to our enemies which was killing our soldiers? At the moment people of Russia happy that only one turbine from 7 still working and they will be more happy when the last turbine will be stopped.

Europe leaders not just afraid start negotiating with Putin,they afraid Putin will tell them No.This will be double win of Putin and double lose of EU against Putin.Everything went too far.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Cheap low level labour from 3rd world Eastern Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Waiting for the "but it's different factors in Canada..." brigade.

Even if it was different, remember when people said on here they were going to emigrate...the most common thing the homeowners said here was where will you emigrate where housing is not expensive? Well the answer now is Canada and NZ and dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

well as some one say, this is all planned and part of the great reset agenda...they want the financial markets to collapse to usher in central bank currencies and finally have complete control over us all...allocate carbon credits to every individual and encourage the masses to stay indoors in their tiny cubicals while living in their virtual reality meta universes and living off universal basic income while being fed insects and synthetic meat.

some would say...

interestingly do you know they're already selling "cricket flour" in the US and Canada and that it's being sneaked into the ingredients in some processed foods...apparently it's under the label "acheta"...which is causing issues for people who are allergic to shellfish as they are also allergic to cricket shells.

what a world we're living in at the moment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

PwC did a survey of over 700 US executives in the US. Half of them are reducing headcount or planning to..

Advertisement