Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMD records at Weburgh St Dublin

Options
  • 24-05-2022 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

I am feeling braver about trip to Dublin. I thought to post update on situation in Werburgh St.

We have an extra day as of this week :)

The GRO Search Room is located at Werburgh Street, Dublin 8, D08 E277.

The office is open to the public on a walk-in basis on the following days for the week ending 27 May:

Tuesday10am - 12.30pm2pm - 4.30pm

Wednesday10am - 12.30pm2pm - 4.30pm

Thursday10am - 12.30pm2pm - 4.30pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

And still no resumption of normal service for Pearse Library research room.

"We still don't have an idea as to when it will be open for any sort of service such as that we had pre C0vid and for study. There is still work being done in the room. You can make an appointment to consult items from the collection on a Wednesday or Thursday by emailing  dublinstudies@dublincity.ie"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Thanks for the update Garlinge.

Genealogy Forum Mod

This just in from Clare Santry re the GRO opening hours...

Seems the opening hours will be decided on a week to week basis.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Absolutely ludicrous.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I agree, it, like most public service responsibilities, is being woefully managed and with the usual disdain for the customer. However, it is not confined to the Public Service. There has been considerable pushback in several sectors on returning to the office. Employers are in a difficult position as they have a duty of care under the 2005 Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act and its amendments. As counter staff are customer-facing the bar is higher for H & S. No civil servant is going to push any staff back to the office, particularly one open to the public. That said, there is no excuse for a variable opening schedule.

Sadly our politicians have no idea of how to develop a proper remote working policy – most of what is now in place and in the pipeline was developed pre-Covid and based not on home-working but on use of localized & managed ‘hubs’.

(And if behind the closed doors the GRO staff were preparing the release of the outstanding BMDs I’d be more accepting!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭cobham

Just looked at GRO website and it seems Werburgh is open one day a week only! (Tuesday). At least the delay over covid etc had saved me bother of getting one record, a death in 1972 now available for free online. And limited service in Pearse....😒

To view archives and special collections the Reading Room is open by appointment only on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10am–12.30pm and 2–4.30pm. Please order items you want to look at in advance. Five items per visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

One day a week!? I can't go on Tuesday but I was planning for Wednesday. Drat!

Ah, what are they at - that is beyond pathetic.

And what's up with Pearse Street - what's their excuse?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BowWow

Reading Room Pearse Street hours.........

post covid set up!🤔 I loved Pearse on a Saturday = all day and decent cafe, no closing at lunch time and maybe a talk/exhibition downstairs. The old BMD research room pre Werburgh was far superior both in location and fit out.

• Advertisement

Agreed, but they didn't own the Irish Life building, and they do own this one, so I can understand the logic.

Only opening 1 day a week is appalling, but I admit that I love the by email service, even for searches. They are efficient and fast.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

One day a week in tourist season is mental. Even if they need to charge more they need more coverage for US tourists in summer

GRO site says one day a week and directs you to the Gov.ie site which says five days a week! It's crazy! Pity the poor tourist travelling from God knows how far to search for their grannies!! I pity me too. Maybe I'll try the email service instead then.

Ah but that is the idea, they want us auld ones to go online with everything.

They can't charge more. The fees are in the statute books so not easily changed.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭BowWow

Yes, miss the cafe. - I notice the cafes are also closed in the Museum and National Library in Kildare Street now also.

I feel robbed! Robbed of the experience of my own discoveries! That's the joy for us searchers, finding the right record. Now I'll have to depend on civil servants! 😥

ah no National Library was another nice cafe😪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Have used the email service a few times when I had the reference information and it was fine but what happens if you have only one parties name and a possible year of marriage and it's pure searching in the hope something might turn up? Will the GRO staff try to find information? Any time I rang, they said they don't do searches on behalf of the public, people need to go into the research room and search themselves but that's not possible for many people if its only open for a few hours on Tuesdays.

In the past I've sent them a few requests for marriages of which I didn't have the reference information - just the names and a rough idea of time and place and they located the record without any fuss. Admittedly I wasn't looking for a Pat Murphy marrying a Mary Kelly but if you've reasonably good information to go on I'd send them your request and see what happens.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

They definitely will do searches - €5 per 5 year period. They'll produce a list of results for the search criteria and you can pay for any lines that look of interest.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Just thought to update on situation in Werburgh Street.... It is still a shabby little place down a scruffy lane, blink and you would miss it. The vacant land to the front on Werburgh Steet is disused and fenced off so not even a parking lot anymore. Inside it is the same generous space as pre covid and only about 3 visitors there when I was in mid morning.

Yes one day a week and lunch time is enforced so thrown out at 12 30 until 2pm and no more requests for certs from about (12 10 depending on how busy?). Index books are on display on open shelves and a charge of 20 euro for a general browse and 5 euro for each cert requested. I had actual dates for a few but I still needed to consult the books to get relevant Volume and Page number to fill out the forms. And remember some of the books are broken down into quarters so four sections to check within one book but not the case for all. I had forgotten that bit! I had some more recent deaths from 2002 and there are no index books for those years but staff will look up and print off a list of likely ones for you to fill out form.

A pity they cannot make more of this facility. I note a new tourist office located not too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A real tourist office or an independent "tourist office"?

Those sell SIM cards, bus tours and do baggage holding - they aren't tourist offices in any real sense.

I think you are right L1011, I have just been informed about 'commercial' tourist offices, I did not realise such places existed.... on Dame Street opposite Olympia.

Thanks for the review!

One point: I always do the index reference look-ups (available to 1958) on Familysearch/FMP/Ancestry beforehand so I don't need to get those books.

The email service is good too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yes good point though think all todays were later than that... be nice if FamilySearch rolled along a couple more decades! Oh I know about the email service but hate to abandon the old ways. The thrill of the hunt... lugging the big books to your desk and scanning all those names! I am of the old school that was reared on ink and biro's were banned and now I take pleasure in taking out the 'good' fountain pen.(sadly fewer occasions these days)

Oh still pencils only in Research room but do take credit cards now so some progress! That is my covid pile up dealt with. I wonder if I ever will go there again?

I'm old school but adaptable. It's nice not to schlep all the way in there, although now I am full time in the biz, it's easier.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement