Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas School shooting 19 children and 2 adults murdered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

19 kids and 2 adults slaughtered. And nothing will change. It'll happen again. Deeply screwed up society that allows that to happen. Weirdos with their love for assault rifles/automatic weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You're kind of taking my post out of context. I'm not claiming a bolt action can match a semi auto.

The post I was replying to, which is now pages back. Was asking about why would you be spraying a deer with a hail of fire. They are repeated refer to as assault rifles, machine guns, etc. Clearly you understand the difference, but many do not get that at all.

I was pointing out that a AR15's black tactical styling is aesthetic but doesn't functionally affect the rate of fire. You press the trigger for every shot. When the guy pictures a traditional rifle, they probably pictures a timber stocked old fashioned looking rifle. ( https://ruger.com/productImages/1102/detail/1.jpg ). That model common for rabbits. Most people would expect the AR to fire faster. Hold the trigger and go. But rate of fire is the same.

I'm not comparing caliber, mag size, availability of whatever. It was exclusive to the point of one fire per trigger. Which I can see you understand.

You asked another poster about calibre. They come in .308 for deer I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Why do feel the constant need to personally attack me when I am engaging with other posters?

Funny how you have to label anything as “right” and “wrong” all the time too. Yes, my world looks very different to yours, I can’t change that. Go ahead and mock it if it makes you feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh, but they're flintlocks either. You know, you can spam a trigger pretty fast.

There's an argument to say that because they're semi-auto, they're even more dangerous because the shooter has more accuracy than they would on full auto.

It's not remotely strange, the biggest school shooting in US history. The fact you're surprised that the murder of nearly 20 children is a front news story across the globe is a bit odd. On top of that, there's going to be even more stories because there's questions over how the police handled it.

Fyi, I'm pretty sure the reporting of Columbine was likely even greater without the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

What has my post history got to do with the school shooting?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the police sound like a disgrace and bunch of pussies, they let it happen and it was left to an off duty border agent to go in and get him

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@Pussyhands Did you know that the US murder rate is 6.3 per 100k? And in Ukraine it's 6.2?.

What's ukraine got to do with anything you didn't just mention Ukraine for no reason ....

Don't really see how numbers make any difference.

Santina Cawleys father is in just as much pain as any one of those parents.

Why are you coming in here having a go at the media coverage of this?

Because it's been the main headline on RTE for days now. Just checked and once again the story is the main headline on RTE. That makes it 3 days in a row now. Must be good clicks out of the US school shootings!

There's going to be a lot of fallout about this

Yeah the usual cycle of celebs and politicians crying and saying guns need to be banned. Then it goes away until the next time. America is fcuked with or without guns. Florida man exists for a reason.

I replied to a comment that RTE had 12 articles written about this.

It's classic of that user. Constantly stalking me all over the site, like my shadow. Wherever I am, they are.

• Advertisement

People acting like it's guns that's the problem and not just America being a failed state. If they didn't have guns they'd just plough through crowds of people instead.

Out of the all the number of articles RTE have pumped out, you obviously haven't read any of them if you're saying it's the biggest school shooting in US history. 🙄

61 people were shot dead in the Las Vegas shooting and it didn't get 3 days of being the main news headline over here

Darrell Brooks plowed through a parade at Christmas killing 5, injuring 40. Sure who cares I suppose, they're only old people who were killed!

2000 school shootings and guns aren't the problem lol

Apparently only recently the school was used to train local swat units in school shooting response ,they had also spent more money investing in more security for the school

Correction, it's the second deadliest school shooting. By default, the killing of children does tend to get more attention, they haven't even had a chance to live and they were in a setting that is safe in most countries. But sure, get annoyed about the number of stories on it. You have an agenda, we all get that. Maybe cop on a little bit.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

And here comes the victim card.

You post absolute bile in every thread I’m interested in reading. The fact you think I have all day to follow you around is cute, but I actually step outside into the real world and you are consistently detached from it.

Look at you now starting rows over sweet **** all. Your only contribution is to have a dig at media coverage of this story.

I’ve been posting consistently in this thread and you have done a drive-by fart probably looking for a row. Now you’re playing the ‘posters are stalking me’ card. G’way out of that sh*te.

I've been posting in this thread from the very start...

I didn't start any row. I gave my opinion in response to another user that I agreed with them the number of articles being pumped out was a bit much.

The sooner people accept America is a third world country for the most part outside all the major cities with their big jobs, the better.

I view America in the same vein as the South American countries like Brazil and Mexico. Mexico has extremely tight gun laws yet violence there is high. Same thing with South Africa.

You can get rid of the guns, the nut jobs that want to kill people still remain.

The 2nd Amendment doesn't need to be repealed. It just needs to be implemented properly. If you want to own arms, you should be part of a "well regulated militia". Not Bobby Joe who wants to look kewl on social media with his AR15, and especially not Jim Bob who sees children as targets.

And further to that you should be an adult (at least 21), and have lengthy and serious background checks into your mental state. I'd go go so far as to having to pass certain tests too before you're allowed to have possession a gun. Especially something that isn't a bolt action hunting rifle.

It won't stop every loony. But it would make a dent in the number of these types of incidents.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

That's McConnell doing what he does.

He tells one of his guys to "engage" with the Democrats (Notably Cornyn and not the other Senator from Texas , Ted Cruz) , which gets the media off their backs for the next few days while the story is hot.

Then in a little while they'll claim the Democrats were being unreasonable and walk away and absolutely nothing changes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

It stands to reason that this is a problem that runs deep and won’t necessarily be solved solely through removing guns from the equation. There is clearly a particular problem in America whereby masculine insecurities or conspiracy theories to drive men and boys towards a desire to commit horrific acts of mass murder. Now personally, I think the fetishisation of guns in their society feeds into that, but nonetheless there is certainly an underlying root cause that gives beyond the gun.

But the thing about the guns being used in these massacres — they are literally designed, engineered and constructed to be capable of efficient killing. Even though a vehicle can be used to devastating effect as it was in Nice — you have a fighting chance of getting out of a vehicle’s way, its ability to manoeuvre is limited and it isn’t specifically designed to be as lethal as possible.

Its not about saying that removing guns solves the mental health problem, but more a question of how you minimise the risk of violent maniacs from getting their hands on weaponry that makes mass murder easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I am absolutely not going down the rabbit hole of pedantic points with a gun nut. It is a well worn technique of the gun lobby to muddy the water. No self respecting hunter would go out with an AR15 as they are generally sold for social media pictures and used in mass murders.

We get it - you don't care that your hobby leads to the death of children.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Cops in the US are incredibly well paid for the education qualifications you need to become one and they have nearly zero accountability for their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He's bump firing there I'd assume. Controlled rate of fire is lower. (similar to the accuracy point)

But I wasn't suggesting they are slow. I was pointing out semi-autos work. You can empty a handgun pretty quickly too. Far quicker than you could find targets. That's really what I'm getting at. If these psychos snap and empty an AR-15 or a handgun into a crowd. In either case it's catastrophic. If this lunatic have a pair of glocks, the death count is the same.

3rd Highest I think. after Sandy Hook and Virginia Tech

Bump stocks are illegal AFAIK. So I don't think so. He's probably just spamming the trigger.

My issue, though, is the "ah sure it's only a semi-auto so it's all grand" attitude that some have. It may not be as fast as a fully automatic assault rifle , but it can be damn fast. You can dump a full mag in short order if you wanted to.

But sure. If this bozo only bought a few Glocks and went to kill kids in school it would still result in dead kids.

Actually a lot of hunters in the US do use AR type rifles , especially if your going into the wilderness and your not just dealing with deer and birds you have brown and black bears , mountain lions and other predators to deal with Texas and other places have issues with wild hogs which are just as dangerous and tougher to kill , much safer than bringing a single bolt action rifle.

While some would be happy with a simple to operate and maintain bolt action other prefer semi automatics the can customise to their own needs ,

Different tools for different jobs

The 800 billion dollars the US spends annually on fighter jets, tanks, guns, drones and bombs would save a lot of lives if they used that money to install access control systems and scanning systems to every school in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

So turn every school into something like a high security prison?. What about shopping malls?, train stations?, anywhere that a lot of people gather in one place? Or maybe just introduce proper gun control?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Or you know , instead of turning every school ,office and public building into bloody fortresses , they could see if they could work out what it is that makes the US different to every other country on the Planet when it comes to people murdering dozens of people with guns in Schools, Offices , Night clubs and Churches??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

'Because I don't have to worry about my kids being 'unalived' at school. There are lots more great videos like this one and they should be recommended viewing fo US politicians.

Advertisement