Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas School shooting 19 children and 2 adults murdered

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ah I see you're here to stop any discussion about the murderous gun lobby and the evil bastard Republicans they funnell their funds into.

You can come in here and demand it not be politicised all you want, but when the gun lobby has half of congress by the balls that stops the CDC from carrying out research into gun violence, then access to guns in the US is a major political issue when things like this happen.

A bunch of kids have been murdered as an indirect result of the gun lobby in the US, and you're in here wagging your finger telling people not to politicise it.

You're out of your depth, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭rogber

American gun culture. Jesus. What a sick country. Nothing will change after this either. Terrible tragedy, buy not at all surprising.

It's proving to be another great year for men and violence, no wonder women are so sick of it and angry

• Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What makes it so tragic is that nothing in reality can be done, or will be done. Access to guns is a right they will literally die...or allow others to die for to defend, seems it's a sacrifice they're willing to make

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Wtf? This was an attack on young childer. Dont try forcing the feminazi agenda into it. No need.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It'll take some high profile children to be slaughtered before they will even talk about change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

A horrible, broken cesspit of a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A American could walk to a maternity hospital and shoot every mother and newborn they could find ,and nothing would change just another day of let's not do anything about gun control

No. I just see a tragedy and not an opportunity to bring politics into it.

Gun laws are what they are in America. Plenty of democrats own guns. Plenty of republicans own guns.

The **** that carried out this mass murder should be the focus. Not your politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Senator Chris Murphy from Connecticut was making remarks in the U.S. Senate earlier that this recent shooting was looking like another Sandy Hook. He was asking other Senators and political representatives who were working in Washington these words......

"What are we doing?......What are we doing?.........Why are you here?"

It's an important and vital question to ask when a Sandy Hook situation is now being reported on right in front of us by the media.

It's an unbelievably horrific situation to face up to & to talk about at this time. Nobody in the U.S actually expected themselves to talk about an incident that had kicked off on children who were completely innocent.

The news reports from the U.S. are reporting that the perpetrator in this attack is known to have acted alone in this shooting in Texas this evening. Police and law enforcement agencies are currently looking at his social media to see if he was doing any planning ahead of time before he did this disturbing act on these innocent kids today.

It's just unbelievably sick. The sick scumbag who did this disturbing act on these kids deserves an instant place to burn right in the darkest pits of hell. He did it somewhere that was meant to be known as a safe place for kids to learn and to make friends right before they go into middle school.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

They will arm the teachers with m16’s

To much money involved and funding to political parties by the NRA to have something done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

So what do you want this to be then?

A thread full of 'awh, how sad' and then we move on our merry way?

And then the next shooting that happens to be the same? When can we talk about the elephant in the room? The big fat one called the gun lobby who are indirectly responsible for these mass murdering sprees. Do we have to ask you every day if we can talk about it now?

Like I said to the other poster, it's a discussion forum. You aren't a mod. So don't be telling other people what is and isn't allowed in a thread.

If you're so offended by the discussion, then you're more than welcome to leave so those who know what this is about can talk about it.

14 f*cking children are killed and we have to just stay silent because the dunne doesn't want anyone to say anything else.

I'll continue talking about the evil bastards in the US (the pro-life advocates, ironically enough) who allow these murders to happen without doing a damn thing to prevent them from happening again. If you don't like it? Report my posts. Don't start telling me what to do.

This is what happens in these threads about mass school shootings in America because innocent children are f*cking dying! I'll discuss the fallout of that if I want to and I won't let some 'freedom of speech' warrior tell me otherwise.

No. I just didn't expect you to turn a thread about a breaking story where people could talk about their disbelief about an absolutely horrid act of violence against innocent children into an immediate opportunity for you to make it political.

Have at it.

Fuck sake.

I'm getting from social media, this energy from some Republicans:

As though this killing is a godsend to their midterm election aspirations this November. They see a repeat of the politics after the Newtown, CT shooting which resulted in a failed push to regulate guns but a massive run on guns and ammo which was very good for the manufacturers bottom line. "They're coming for your guns" is a crude yet effective voting rally cry in America.

Of course I am, because 14 children were killed and the gun lobby and politicians are responsible.

But you're clearly ok with children dying because we're not allowed to talk about it in your warped mind. You trying to stop discussion about this is doing exactly what the politicians have been doing in the US for decades - just sitting on their hands and doing f*ck all.

As you said, have at it. Not enough children will die for you to believe this warrants a serious conversation it seems.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Effect of the ban was arguable, University of Melbourne couldn't find a causative relationship, police point to improved policing on a trend that was already downwards. It's worth noting that Australia is the world's 7th largest importer of firearms, and now has more guns in circulation than before Port Arthur.

In any case, even if, somehow, the 2nd Amendment was repealed or re-interpreted, there are other problems. Texas State Constitution, Art 1 S 23 states "Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defence of himself or the State" (And has said so since 1876). And even if you could change the State Constitution as well as solve the federal 2A problem, the next problem is 'how do we remove all the guns we have?" You can't go around searching houses or people in case they have a weapon they failed to disclose, the 4th Amendment is even less likely to be revoked than the 2nd. We have to live with the fact that there are guns. Solutions have to focus on other factors.

Well, firstly, nothing is stopping them from doing it anyway. If they felt so inclined, I doubt they would wait for permission to bring the gun to school to shoot people, any more than other school shooters do. Secondly, some places in the US do allow teachers to be armed (including certain Texas school districts, but I don't know if this particular one is one of them), and they haven't yet caused any problems.

Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with modern technology. My youngest is 4 next week, for obvious reasons I don't leave my firearms lying around. However, I have a pistol in a biometric safe by the bed. Put finger on button, it reads my fingerprint, safe opens. Doesn't exactly take long (Under 1 second), and also prevents unauthorised access.

Been tried, and struck down by the courts. If you have a right, you have ancillary rights to exercise it. So, for example, there is a constitutional right to have shooting ranges, and rights cannot be excessively taxed. (eg churches, newspapers, bullets)

@Manic Moran can state constitutions be over overridden by federal law at all , when it comes to gun control

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Heckler

I have nieces and a nephew in Boston who undergo the active shooter drills. Shocking that such a thing is necessary. And that bullet proof plates are available for school backpacks. I own guns (here in Ireland) but the situation in the US is crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

It's 14 today, 20 kids were killed at Sandy Hook, it could be 50 tomorrow and 100 the next day and still nothing will be done, they've accepted it, yes it sad and it's horrific but it's just not horrific enough for anything to be done about it and that's the way it will always be.

Nothing will ever make them change, they don't want to change or have a serious discussion on how to actually stop these events happening because peoples rights to guns are more important than the lives of any amount of children. It's America.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Wolf Blitzer was reporting on CNN earlier that the children killed in the shooting were from 2nd, 3rd and 4th grade. He also read a statement to say that a 10 year old girl from Texas was critically ill and fighting for her life at a hospital in San Antonio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

A pistol in a biometric safe by the bed!

It's like a different world.

TBF, break-ins happen all over the world and I've seen fair many discussion on this Boards where an Irish person would have like a little more of the aul' Doctrine in their Castle. A biometric weapon seems as progressive and state of the art as you can be about this home security issue. At least until we invent forcefields.

You're trying to stop conversations about the fact that the gun lobby and the politicians are responsible for this. You said that, not me. I'll make all the assumptions I want because it's weird that you don't want this to be discussed.

Stop deflecting. I'm not going to do what you are demanding and you can piss off trying to play the victim here as yet another deflection tactic.

It's going to be discussed, because the gun lobby and politicians are murdering bastards.

Deal with it. Otherwise you don't actually have to read the thread if it upsets you so much.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

In theory, sortof.

The problem, again, is enforcement. The Feds are going to say whatever they like, but the people actually interacting with the citizenry have allegiance to the State. Texas DPS or Uvalde City PD aren't going to take action contrary to State law, no matter what the Feds say. Having the ATF sent in from DC to be going around trying to enforce the federal law contrary to state law is not going to go over well, to put it mildly. Your points of precedent are the DEA's enforcement of marijuana laws in States which have legalised it, they tend to only raid 'troublesome' enterprises on the request of local law enforcement, and the flat refusal of police in some states to enforce federal immigration law. There wasn't much the federal government could do to press the issue there, and there is as little that a federal government could do to press the issue on this topic.

And then, of course, there is still the practical 4th amendment aspect of things.

Being political beliefs have been brought up .

The idea is to remove the chaff from the grain, not to harvest the chaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

To be fair it's not just the gun lobby and the politicians, it's also the media and a very large proportion of voters themselves that do not want to see the issue fixed.

• Advertisement

I'm not playing any victim.

You are an abusive poster to anyone who you disagree with. Your last post is an example.

I just said that jumping into making this tragedy political, immediately after it happened is in pretty poor taste. There will be plenty of time to discuss the state of America's gun laws.

Jumping into them immediately and politicising it is crass. But apparently not for you.

The thread will upset me, but not because of posters like you. I've no time for abusive posters who exploit tragedies to further their agenda or for one-upmanship

Advertisement