Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to get out of this job but not sure when or how to resign

Options
  • 24-05-2022 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

This is my third summer working at this large family run hotel. It was grand initally but it's gotten worse and worse as time goes on. Similar to another poster here, we're treated like dogs. Severe staff shortage, no one is willing anymore, management somehow don't understand why their aren't an attractive employer anymore. Sooo many laws are broken with regards to pay, hours and breaks. We even have a duty manager who is known for squeezing the bottoms of female employees (including myself once) and nothing has ever been done.

I'd love to hand in my notice now but awkward thing is, I'm abroad from the middle to end of June. I'm not sure if I should hand in the notice next week OR right before I go on my 2 week break. I'm concerned that may look cheeky, given I can't actually WORK my 2 week notice as I'm abroad? There's a good chance I'll need a reference from then in future. Shouldn't burn the bridge.

I am moving abroad early September so if I get another gig, at most I'll be doing 8/9 weeks. But maybe other pubs/hotels/restaurants wouldn't mind a very temporary set of extra hands irregardless? What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ericfartman

I'd start looking for a new job and give yourself two months to get one. If you can't get a new job in two months then its up to yourself to re-evaluate when you quit on how you can survive on the dole. Everyone knows how **** the hotel trade is with not getting paid all your hours worked, no breaks, false promises, incompetent management etc.

Your moving abroad in September, just look at it as three months you need to get through.

Advertisement