Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Census of Humour

• 24-05-2022 10:04pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭

One of our regular posters recently suggested that the forum could do with a humour thread.

So here it is folks - the Registry of Peeves - somewhere for all the funny, weird and wonderful stuff that you happen across.

It doesn't strictly have to be genealogy related but probably better if we stay on topic more often than not.

I'm not very funny so I'll leave it to someone else to get the ball rolling.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Post edited by Hermy on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

One of my favourite ever transcription errors was that Eoin MacNeill (of cancelling the Rising fame) was originally the Secretary of the Garlic League, rather than Gaelic League. Now only preserved in an old blog post of John Grenham's.

https://www.johngrenham.com/blog/2017/11/20/census-correcting/

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,701 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

lol pinky! 😂 ...I would like to join that league, i could be the quality inspector of garlic bread 🤣

I recently read a 1950 american census transcription which read "stage robber" ....hmmmm, the census taker included criminal activity? 😝 nah, was actually "stope robber" at a mining company.

For Hermy...

🤣😆

speling matters :D

• Advertisement

true story 😋

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Why 'Peeves'?? A peeve is something annoying or irritating. .

It's just a light-hearted play on deeds, Mick. This thread can also be used to post terrible trees where people birth children on other continents when they were 7 or whatever.

Genealogy Forum Mod

😀 That connection went straight over my head! (Must be working too hard on serious stuff). Thanks

• Advertisement

:D yup.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It's a bit of an oxymoron all right.

If anyone has a better suggestion by all means throw it in the hat and we can change it

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Fawcett, Edward,  Dublin, liner draper. To my son Edward Fawcett, unmarried, all real and personal estate to him and possible children with reversion to child or children of my brother Thomas Fawcett, deceased, and my granddaughter, Hannah Judd, by Peter Judd, deceased. To my daughters Hannah and Sarah, 5/- each and no more because they have been disobedient daughters. Executor son Edward Fawcett. Dated 22 May 1752.

Fetherston, Cuthbert, Ballinamodak, Westmeath My wife Elenor Fetherston. My four younger children John, George, Ann and Eline. My disobedient daughter Amy Fetherston. To my apostate daughter Elioner Fetherston because "she and her husband in his life time had by rasping stealing and robbery much of my substance" nothing. My son John Fetherston. Trustees Anthony Robinson, of Kilegonahan, Joshua Clibborn of the Moate, William Louther, Tubor [Tubber], King's Co. To my sons John and George benefit of farm at Ballinamodak after decase of wife. Dated 16 Feb. 1693. Witnesses: Neal Caghiernon, Cathran Dargan, Thomas How.

Inventory taken 28th day of 3rd month 1696. Valuations of cattle, horses and "28 sheep and lambs at £9." "7 acres of winter corn at £14.0.0.

Love it!

Genealogy Forum Mod

One of my ancestors - Mary Baptista - was somehow incorrectly transcribed as Bagot William.

And in a convent where another relative was domicile the mother superior was rather aptly given the job title prison rather than prioress.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I have an ancestor who re-married late in life, to a woman over half his age. It's odd to see messages insisting his oldest children were, in fact, the second wifes actual birth children, when she hadn't even been born herself yet. Miracle of miracles.

ha!

I’ve redesigned the thread title so hopefully things will be much funnier from here on in.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭55Gem

Do you think the Census form arrived in the middle of an argument between Michael and his father!

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001081273/

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

I can almost see the image of that census takers interaction :D ...brilliant!

sometimes it feels that way :D

Congrats to whoever came up with the revised thread name. But I think we still need one for 'peeves' - here is one from today on a family DNA site on Facebook

'. A fire burned the records in about 1865? So any thing prior needs other info… old bibles, knowing the religion (more than I thought), their jobs -super helpful, parish, etc. even who attended weddings and baptisms, neighbors etc.'

Perhaps the Census of humours plural to account for peeves, misdeeds and general glee.

Genealogy Forum Mod

There was a similar thread called 'Funny/Unusual records' started way back in 2017 and was last used in 2020, so are we duplicating it with this one?

No it's not intended as a duplicate of that one though funny and unusual records are certainly welcome. On the suggestion of one of the regular posters it seemed like a good idea to have dedicated thread for genealogy-related jokes, memes and other quirky stuff that folks might happen upon.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks for the fun thread, Hermy and Pinky - very kind of you both.

I enjoy genealogy and I enjoy silly things, as distraction from serious life. I do hope this thread doesn't offend anyone, as it's just a bit of fun.

• Advertisement

My brother would applaud that one! Me, not too much! 😶 (🤪)

How to decipher medical records and causes of death...

...you're welcome :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭BowWow

I'd say Michael definitly filled out the form, and Daddy was'nt as good at the reading/writing as he had Michael put down - kinda like the number of fluent Irish speakers in this house in 2022...

^ that makes sense BowWow :D

I assume the parents were fed up with this 15 year olds attitude, when the u.s. census taker listed "does as she pleases" as Catherine's occupation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Enjoy

• Advertisement

While researching why a long-dead Priest (of Czech heritage) used his paternal grandmothers maiden name rather than his fathers surname, I found this.... made me laugh... wise words of advice to live by: Schovajsa! Nebojsa! Volopich! ("Hide Yourself! Don't be afraid! Don't prick an Ox!") :D

"What is not shared with English but is similar to North American native languages  is the colorful nature of some Czech surnames, such as Brzobohatý (Soon to be rich), Volopich (Pricking an ox), Urvinitka (Tear a string), Rádsetoulal (Liked wandering around), Stojaspal (Slept standing), Vítámvás (I welcome you), Tenkrát (Back in those days), Schovajsa (Hide yourself!), Nebojsa (Don't be afraid!), Skočdopole (Jump in a field!), Vozihnoj (Driving with manure), Osolsobě (Salt for yourself!), Ventluka (Knocking outward), Nejezchleba (Don't eat bread!), Potměšil (He sewed in the dark), Přecechtěl (He wanted anyway), Drahokoupil (He bought costly), Nepovím (I'm not going to tell)." - from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_name

Post edited by Deja Boo on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭BowWow

Advertisement