Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a Catamaran

Options
  • 24-05-2022 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi

Any one interested in building a catamaran for cruisng? Day dreams and free advice givers, please hold your fire. This is a serious discussion for semi-retired or retired and would like to explore the world without worring about pendamic or airports not to mention travel in style!

Great Irish designer who is living in Australia offered to help in the project. With advencement in materials and technolgies, the used market is not worth considaring!

I have been doing a lot of research for 2 years, time to move to next phase.

Any takers?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The price of materials is sky high at the moment timber alone is up 80% on 3 years ago so building anything to save money is counterproductive, maybe keep researching for another 2 years and see how things settle down. The used market is very much worth considering if you want to get on the water "waterways Ireland" will be lifting a lot of abandoned boats this year so it might be worth keeping an eye on their page for when the auction comes up. I would be interested in hearing about what advancements in materials and technology you have found as I would consider myself pretty up to date in all this and always willing to learn more. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7 G0ldp001

yap, timber and conventinal materials are gone up. However looking at the market, 10 years ago you couldn't buy PV foam in Ireland, now there is a manufactoring facility in Bandon! Switching from timber to PV foam not only cheaper but also easy to build. CNC machines are getting lot cheaper now a days.

Advertisement