Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brawl breaks out at Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

As a politician she represents all voters. It's always better not to give in to our baser prejudices. It's nobody except the people involved at the airport who have an actual case to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downtheroad

An unelected politician. Her name was not on any ballot. A cynic might suggest that as a female traveller she was appointed to the position to tick 2 boxes.

We'll be hearing from her when another few houses in Tipperary are offered without stables to her cousins, so I'd like to hear her opinion on their behaviour at Dublin Airport the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

An unelected politician.

She was chosen by the government along with its other 10 nominees to broaden the representative base of the Seanad. The Dail chooses the Taoiseach, also "unelected" in the eyes of some people but that's representative democracy for you. I have no idea what the rest of this is about but it's clear that reasonable discussion it is not.

FYI those nominees come courtesy of Article 18 of the Constitution with no strings apart from being nominated by the Taoiseach.

I would guess that had this person run in an election she may not have won a seat. Anyway you are correct in how she was appointed.

My point is that if we hear from her about issues that affect her community (such as housing), she should be expected to comment on the many incidents, such as this one in Dublin Airport, where her community causes havoc in our country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭riddles

I wonder where they were off too and if they were using travellers cheques?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

ok there was a problem at the airport it's over now can we move on? all that seems to be left now is traveler bashing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

The travellers bashing each other leads to traveller bashing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

i saw this the poor kid was just walking down the road, scum of the earth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Good, until they make the smallest attempt to integrate into Irish society then I'm happy to bash them and also watch them bash the **** out of each other, there'll be no tears shed for the silly prick in Beaumont or the clown that put him there, if he died today it would be 1 less sinkhole of money and care for the Irish state to coddle

By integrate I mean they start by staying in school, go onto 3rd level or apprenticeship training, start working in shops and factories, pay taxes, participate in their community instead of leaving sh8t and dirt wherever they go, it'll take a generations to integrate fully but no better time to start than now, their kids deserve a better life than what they're able to provide

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I sympathise with the airport police here , travellers are like a swarm of bees in these circumstances, just because less than half a dozen are involved in a scrap, doesn't mean it couldn't quickly escalate to twenty and then you endanger the broader airport population, nevermind the hero police who decided to step in thinking it was just a few drunk idiots

No comments on this video from all the bleeding heart, poor travellers types .. surprise surprise. 5 young lads, 2 of whom are not even teenagers looking at the size of them beating up a guy because his friend threw water at them after the launched a ball at her.

5 young lads who will spawn at least another 5 wasters each, who will multiply exponentially and milk the welfare system for every cent they can get, while Pavee Point tell us that they're discriminated against.

I'd suggest moving them all to Lambay Island and making it impossible to get off, but the poor wallabies over there would suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bogwarrior

They are pure filt , don't know how people can ever defend them , their true nature cannot be hidden . Happy to be called a racist when it comes to them , a filt in society that needs to be cleaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Maybe it's time we just ended nomadic existence as a legal concept in this day and age.

Stop it completely.

They aren't really nomads any more so why are they given special treatment supporting a 'life style' that has no place in the 21st century other than as a cover for criminality in all forms?

As for the kids they may be rough but they suffer most in all this.

Enda Kenny like any other leader in a coalition needed to concede on certain issues to appease his coalition partner, FG were in government with Labour back then and Labour, their bosom buddies in RTE ,the NGO sector and the arts community were lobbying for travellers to be granted ethnic status for years

If it wasn't Enda who signed off ,it would have been Michael Martin today as the Green Party were also strongly pushing for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Has anyone noticed from watching these videos that they are absolutely useless at fighting? I've watched quite a few and have yet to see one that would entertain fight fans. Seems to be a trend now to brawl in public places, a shopping centre recently and now the Airport. we need to give the Guards Sjamboks to clear this riff riff from our public places.

Well you can to a degree, notice how RTE etc fail to highlight that it's travellers involved, (they are of course happy to highlight travellers when a boxing competition is won etc), they can claim it's racist to highlight the airport melee as involving travellers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Any comments from the likes of Eileen Flynn or Rosemary Maughan? They're whinging every day on twitter when something bad happens to travellers.

We all know the drill at this stage.

An incident like the airport happens. Everyone is disgusted with it and know who's responsible. Those in power act like it's just another isolated incident. Everyone online gives examples of their experiences with travellers and people say something must be done both in the travelling community themselves and in policing. Then a prominent traveller such as Martin Beanz Ward goes on the radio or twitter to say this is not acceptable, that it's not all travellers and travellers are prejudiced against every day and don't get the resources they need. Then lefty politicians get involved and share it and defend travellers. Then the conversation shifts to radio/tv where it's pure bias towards travellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

Chances are our gardai are untrained in the use of those sjamboks so would not use them......a pity....I like your thinking though..

When I was a young lad we lived to see the tinker call to the door - we considered it good luck.

You must be rather elderly then, cause that kind of attitude hasn't been commonplace for a rather long time. Whereas, checking the back garden and shed for missing items after a Traveller rings your doorbell is a far more common occurrence.

we, as a society, have dismally failed these young men and robbed them of their perspective of a bright prosperous future.

I completely agree.

By supporting/enabling this primitive culture to continue being supported by the State. Had we encouraged the dissipation of this culture, with the absorbing of Travellers into mainstream Irish society, their average life expectancy would be higher, far more would be finishing school, and would be far less represented in our crime statistics.

Instead, we've doomed successive generations to living within a culture and sub-society that has rampant domestic abuse, drug addiction, illiteracy, unemployment, etc. Ahh yes, it makes so much more sense to support that culture.. when you expend so much energy ignoring the wide range of negatives.

We, as a society must stand up and treat these people with respect and tolerate their customs because at the end of the day there is a bit of a tinker in each and every one of us Irish people

Except there's not. While some intermarriage and cross breeding has occurred, it hasn't been terribly commonplace, largely because Traveller culture itself discourages such relationships. It's one of the reasons there's such a high percentage of disabilities within their ethnic group, due to inbreeding and keeping themselves for themselves.

It would be far better for everyone concerned if we stood up and admitted that this culture has no active place in a modern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,486 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Too busy checking the size of your aftershave/toothpaste/deodorant ..... 🙄

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

Disgusting low life animals those lads. High brow stuff that 'culture'.

Sure let's keep throwing money at 'em and not call em what they are, and not trust them as adults to act like adults...cos I, somehow, and you, somehow are directly responsible. Ffs.

10 years in the joy should soften that aspect of ' culture'.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Airport Security tends to be weak or old individuals.

Ideally you want

Lot of muscle men out there, who are trained fighters and good people, they're the type you want working security

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

not sure Jeremy Kyle would make the best security man to be honest

Hilarious how people are focusing on it being securities fault, for the mass brawl...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,338 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

tbf not many of our indigenous get seriously injured or killed in their honour fights despite some fearsome weapons being brought to bear. They bounce right off their thick skulls.

Eastern Europeans with military service having a barney on the other hand, one of them almost surely will not be walking away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah but any time a member of that community manages to finish college and gets a degree or uses their fighting skills in a sports arena we hear loud and clear about where they are from.

Likewise with some from some other communities.

RTE and our mainstream media are utter scutter at this stage.

I am not allowed discuss …

You won't see RTE produce any quotes from locals describing the scene when these incidents happen. I bet most in the country don't even know about the below incident.

AN EYEWITNESS has described shocking scenes of violence following a clash between two families at a funeral in Tuam, Co Galway.

Up to 11 people were rushed to hospital, some with suspected stab wounds, after a violent clash at a graveyard in the town this afternoon.

Gardaí were called to the scene of the mass brawl on the Athenry Road, after fighting broke out when two separate funerals crossed paths in the cemetery.

It is understood one person suffered severe slash injuries.

A large number of gardaí attended the scene, including members of the Armed Response Unit.

Five ambulances transported the injured to hospital.

It is understood the row related to an ongoing feud between families in the local area that has escalated in recent months.

An eyewitness who was tending to a loved one's grave told the Herald he had never witnessed a scene like it.

"It was complete carnage," he said.

"There were two funerals in the cathedral, the first was at 12 noon and the other at 2pm.

"I noticed a lot of people were still hanging around the graveyard after the first burial.

"When the second funeral drove into the graveyard all hell broke loose.

"I've never seen anything like it in my life - women screaming, kids running for cover and their mothers shouting: 'Get behind the wall!'.

"The next thing rocks started raining down on the people coming in the second funeral.

"The guards couldn't do anything, they had to wait until they got back up.

"All the rocks were now landing on the cars trying to drive away. It was madness.

"Do you know the big wooden crosses they put on a grave before a headstone? They're about four feet high? I saw a fella pull up one of them out of the ground and belt the head of two other fellas. It was savagery.

"He pulled it out and ran like hell and was swiping at fellas and two of them fell.

"Next thing a helicopter arrived, and the armed response.

"It was horrendous.

"The women shouting and roaring the kids were screaming, it was unbelievable.

"The trouble seemed to be coming from about 30 lads who hung around after the first funeral."

The eyewitness also told how a priest in attendance begged the people fighting to stop.

He added: "I did see a paramedic bringing a fella who had a bad head injury. He was losing a lot of blood. It was unbelievable."

Last night roads around Tuam remained closed and several sporting events were called off. A Garda spokesman confirmed multiple Garda units attended the scene.

"A number of Garda units are attending the scene of a public order incident in Tuam, County Galway.

"As this is an ongoing incident, An Garda Síochána has no further comment at this time."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Good to see the DAA are reacting to this :)

Advertisement