Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brawl breaks out at Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

It's absolutely ridiculous that these people are treated with kid gloves. If any prospective politician or party called to my door and promised to clamp down hard on traveller misbehaviour - immediate Tulsa investigations and parental penalties for taking kids out of school without a qualification (up to and including taking the kids off them if they fail to send them to school - even if it takes a Blbattalion of gardai to do it), tax audits on their income streams, CAB confiscations when it can be shown something was purchased with the proceeds of crime, actual sentences for assault and burglary - I would vote for them in a heartbeat.

The political establishment is completely out of step with the public on this one. 99% of people have no interest in this "hug a traveller" bullshyte that's been pushed for the last decade or so. We just want them to behave themselves, raise their kids properly, pay tax and contribute in some sort of positive way, clean up after themselves, follow the same laws we have to and stop battering each other and our elderly relatives. It's in no way a lot to ask and their own lives (certainly that of their women and kids) might actually improve with doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 eltoorock

40 minutes for the guards to arrive in numbers; Lugs Brannigan would have sorted that mob in 40 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

40 minutes for the right number of them to ensure they don't offend anyone while safely arresting this poor misunderstood individuals. Lugs would have battered the crap out of them, and then battered the crap out of anyone who dared record it. Different times unfortunately. Some of it badly missed. Some people will only ever understand a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

People can be appalled by this incident but also be horrified by what happened in Texas, to compare the two is utterly ridiculous. To call it a non invent, you should be ashamed of yourself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Think they meant non-event in respect to Ireland. Which it is. Horrible and all. But has no effect on Ireland, so a non-event in relation to this incident and the lack of media coverage compared to the shooting in Texas. But we already know RTE are too afraid to call a traveller a traveller so easier to report on something that won't offend anyone in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,883 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's the media in general television, print and radio. The country's gone too pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭hamburgham

And they’re named when they win a ‘discrimination’ case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭hamburgham

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A couple of police dogs would have sorted this out, right sharp. They're like garlic to a vampire for these lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

the gardai are afraid of their lives of these people and avoid them at all costs, same as the junkies openly selling smack beside the ccj in dublin, the gardai just walk past

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

travellers have the right to bring service ponys on flights

• Registered Users Posts: 19,845 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Some people will only ever understand a box.

Mickey-D has a box. Should have sent him over with it.

(The one he used to stand on for the Presidential debate on the telly that time.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

That's less a gardai problem and more of a shyte judges problem. Why would a guard bother their hole cuffing some smackhead, dragging them into the squad car with them howling abuse and spitting at them the whole way, have to deal with them purposely sh1tting themselves in the squadcar, and write up all that paperwork only for the eejit of a judge to immediately throw out the case on account of the fact that Johnny the skanger had a terrible upbringing, has 15 kids that he never sees and was once a talented footballer. I don't blame the gardai for not wasting their time and patience with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,337 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why would be bother doing it?

Because that the job he is paid to do.

It isn't his job to decide on sentencing. If he wants to do that, he needs to become a judge

• Registered Users Posts: 56,242 ✭✭✭✭walshb

With an attitude like this it's no wonder we're fooked.

Paid members of the Gardai don't get to pick and choose what laws they uphold and enforce.

How the fook can society hope to be in any way harmonious thinking otherwise?

And herein lies the problem. If afraid, get the fook out (or get sacked) and let people who are not afraid do the job of upholding our laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

i do agree with this but the problem is if the gardai turn a blind eye what hope do we have, the person they ignored could then attack someone or worse

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I know three ex Guards who threw in the towel and a huge part of it was because of getting increasingly frustrated and disheartened when cases went to court, often after many months of work to nab bastards like this, build a case, get a guilty verdict, only for the judge to let them walk free, or hand down a slap on the wrist.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

That's completely understandable Wibbs.

What I couldn't condone is a guard who stays in the job, collecting the salary, but not bothering to do that job.

Because at the end of the day, it is their job to protect the public by enforcing laws. Regardless of whether the perpetrator is a first-time offender or someone who does it every day

If a teacher has a class of students who don't bother doing their work, the teacher still has to try. They can't just decide to rock into the classroom every day with a mug of tea and a paper and tell the students not to bother (even though probably a few do that)

Yes, I have no doubt. Our courts and sentencing and how we respond to and deal with crime and law breakers has always been a huge issue. Some the stuff you read would make your blood boil.

It really is slickening when you think of all the effort and hard work and passion and commitment and fortitude you see from AGS, only for some asshole judge to piss all over this, and show nothing but contempt for AGS and society, when handing down disgustingly lenient and inappropriate sentences

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

How come only one was arrested?

there seemed to be more involved in very violent behaviour.

"Drink fuelled" is not an excuse, they should be taken to a drunk tank to cool down - and no way they should be allowed to board flights after such behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,337 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Some people find it easier to just to go with the flow, climb the ladder etc than think too much about what they're doing, or not doing.

We see what happens to Garda whistleblowers, why bother?

There's a fair spectrum between sticking your neck out as a whistleblower and just bothering your arse to do the job you are collecting a salary for

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tonium22

Maybe if country people stopped flytipping on the halting sites

If the troublemakers are on their way back to the UK, then surely good community policing would be taking every step possible to ensure that they catch their return flight? 😋

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭purplepanda

I arrived by train from Waterford & got to the airport around 6PM, I didn't see any commotion & went upstairs for tea which must have been when the trouble started down below. I went though security just past 7PM & still didn't notice anything.

Went through the duty free shops area & I was upstairs in the bar opposite Burger King maybe 7.45PM or later when 30 Guards & Airport security suddenly arrived & removed 3 persons. They started giving verbal at some of the security for being English, & giving a lot of abuse, I assume they were removed from the airport premises. I could tell the Guards / Security were angry to put it mildly, some tried to get at those giving them abuse & were restrained by their colleagues. Female security staff were also abused.

Saw the delayed flight still at the gate sometime past 9.30, I was on the 21.55 to Grimstead. We had a few, travellers I believe, on our flight, young teenage girls & their mams & aunts, trying to sing badly & some Eastern European lads joining on. Good natured enough so you had to laugh.

I know some decent traveller families, kids gone university & decent parents, so I don't like to judge everyone one of them. Still you have to be on alert when the travellers are around in large numbers.

Advertisement